IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Huge Palm, Cycad & Tropical Plant Sale

Phil

Group,

Nowadays people are looking for value. And they want beautiful plants. And they want big sizes. We at Jungle Music are having a Sale that should satisfy all of these needs. For the first time ever, we are offering 20% off everything we have in our entire stock. And, that includes the biggest palms and biggest rare cycads and about a quarter million plants. If you pick the smallest plant: 20% off. If you pick big plants: 20% off. If you set up a mail order: 20% off the plants you order. There's still time to plant out here in California, so come visit us. And, this is a special sale just for people (or friends) of this discussion group. We have scheduled this sale for two weeks, beginning tomorrow, Saturday, October 11th.

Someone should be at the nursery every day except Sundays from about 10AM to 3:30 PM. Saturday

is our main day for selling plants.

Directions: Take Freeway 5 to Encinitas, (10 minutes south of Oceanside,

30 minutes north of San Diego). Exit Leucadia Blvd West (toward ocean).

Immediate left on Orpheus Ave, left on Union St, Right on Ocean View Ave

(DO NOT send mail to this address)

Phone: 619 291 4605

I'm going to show some pictures so you can get a feel for what we have. I've selected 5g and larger so they are more interesting to look at.

Howea forsteriana, boxed specimen

Howea%20forsteriana%20(Small).JPG

Pinanga javana

Pinanga%20javana%20(Small).JPG

Chamaedorea radicalis, trunking form

586W5133%20(Small).JPG

More photos to follow.

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Very nice Encepalartos natalensis

Fabulous%20E.%20natalensis.JPG

Linospadix monostachya

Linospadix%20monostachya%20(Small).JPG

Wallichia densiflora 7g size

Wallichia%20densiflora%20(Small).JPG

Back of leaf of Wallichia densiflora, note silver

Wallichia%20densiflora,%20back%20leaf%20(Small).JPG

lots more to follow. Be patient, Dypsis Guys!

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Encephalartos arenarius

E.%20arenarius.JPG

"Neophloga pink crown shaft"

Neophloga%20pink%20crown%20shaft%20(Small).JPG

Pritchardia hildebrandtii 15g

Pritchardia%20hildebradtii2%20(Small).JPG

Dypsis pembana

Dypsis%20pembana%20(Small).JPG

And some more

Encephalartos horridus

Interesting%20E.%20horridus.JPG

Another E. horridus

Another%20unusual%20E.%20horridus.JPG

Pinanga sp. new spear

Pinanga%20sp.%20new%20spear%20(Small).JPG

Dypsis madagascarensis 12 feet tall

Dypsis%20madagascarensis%20(Small).JPG

Encephalartos lehmanii

E.%20lehmanii.JPG

Bismarckia, nice size

outside2.jpg

Tropical color

outside5.jpg

Row after row of great plants

varoiusplants1.jpg

Encephalartos transvenosus

E.%20transvenosus.JPG

Encephalartos longifolius

Huge%20E.%20longifolius.JPG

More plants

largespalmscycads2.jpg

Dypsis cabadae

Dypsis%20cabadae%20with%20sucker%20(Small).JPG

Another look at plants

Monarch%20Alley.JPG

Ravenea sp. unknown

RaveneaSp.%20unknown.JPG

What? More palms..

Assorted%20Palms%20RO.JPG

By the way, all of our prices are posted at our website: www.junglemusic.net

And, there's about 30 special features and articles on palms and cycads and a very large

photo gallery of the species.

Now, some more pictures

Dioon merolae

586W4179%20(Small).JPG

Alloschmidtia glabrata

586W5110%20(Small).JPG

Chamaedroea elatior

Chamaedorea%20elatior%20(Small).JPG

Dioon edule

Dioon%20edule.JPG

More to follow

Ceroxylon quindiuense

586W5119%20(Small).JPG

12 foot tall Dypsis leptocheilos

586W5137%20(Small).JPG

5g Chambeyronia; good size to ship. Nice house plant

586W5145%20(Small).JPG

Encephalartos nubimontanos, very rare

E.%20nubimontanus.JPG

Although this picture is 2 months old, there's some strange characters in it that you might recognize. Watch out for these guys.

JM%20Staff%20708.JPG

And, has the years have gone by, we're carrying more and more color. Included are Alocasia, croton, colorful Ti, red Philodendron, Cana, firecracker Bromelidads, etc.

Canna.JPG

outside4.jpg

Another row of palms and other plants

Palms%20St1.JPG

I'll respond to a few inquiries:

1. Our bands are typically 3 to 5 years old. Many are 2 feet tall or larger. But, some may be smaller. Some are equivalent to other growers 5g size. Prices during this sale on most of our palms in bands is $24. All plants are 20% off, even on small orders.

2. Most of our 1g are $28 and 2g $32 to $36 during the sale. And, these are typcially nice sizes. And, we don't upcharge just b/c something is "trendy".

3. Our seedlings of Encephalartos nubimontanus are almost sold out in 2 days. We have about 10 left.

4. I will try to get photos of some smaller plants even though most prefer pictures of larger plants.

5. Mail orders do get 20% off and I can ship to all states. Be aware that, regardless of what others do, many states require a phyto permit and we follow all legal requirements. If you are in a Gulf State (like FL or TX) you need a phyto permit on your order to receive plants legally and the shipping nursery has to be certified. All paperwork must accompany your order. We do not bootleg plants and are certified.

Now for a few more interesting shots:

Is Elvis in the house? Caryota Elvis

Cayota%20elvis%20(Small).JPG

Caryota elvis leaf

Caryota%20elvis%20leaf%20(Small).JPG

Back of leaflet, Carytoa elvis, showing brown vein

Caryota%20elsvis,%20back%20leaflet%20(Small).JPG

Caryota elvis sucker. This is a suckering species different than C. mitis

Caryota%20elsvis%20sucker%20(Small).JPG

Phil

STOP Phil!

You make mad!

No Europe shipping! :rage:

Gilles06.

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Gilles,

I do understand. But, you get to live on the beautiful coast of France. And, you can probably import plants from New Caledonia a lot easier than I can. I would consider international shipments, but getting into Europe is almost impossible for those of us who use fir or redwood products in our mix.

Phil

A few more interesting pics. I hope some of you enjoy them.

Phil

Caryota sp., a new opening leaf, still connected at edges. What's the exact species? Not quite sure. It looks different than other Caryota no that we have.

Caryota%20sp.%20new%20leaf%20(Small).JPG

Encephalartos sclavoi: It has cupped leaflets on closeup. I love this species.

E.sclavoi.JPG

An unusual suckering Linospadix sp. that might be L. minor

Linospadix%20minor%20(Small).JPG

A nice Cycas species with very long leaves. You might wonder why I show the pictures of cycads. It's because they are the perfect companion to palms. In the garden they appear amazing. So many "palm guys" later start adding cycads. I see it over and over again.

Cycas%20sp.%20(Small).JPG

Chamaedorea hooperiana in a 15g size, named after So Cal legend Louis Hooper. What a fantastic plant for many applications, including houseplant.

Chamaedorea%20hooperiana.JPG

You never know what kind of characters you'll see up here. Taken previously, this photo shows MattyB, BS Man about Palms, Roosty, and Paul D.

MattyB,%20BS%20Man,%20Roosty,%20and%20Paul%20(Small).jpg

More plants and tropicals

varoiusplants1[1]%20(Small).jpg

And, because of these economic times, we're taking on younger help to save money. (grandson Morgan)

Never%20too%20Young%20to%20Help%20(Small).jpg

All 26 of the E. nubimontanus seedlings are gone, but I should have more in a month or two.

an unusual Zamia sp. which emerged with pink-gold leaves.

Zamia%20sp.%20(Small).JPG

Nice crown on Dioon spinulosum

586W4145%20(Small).JPG

Archontophoenix maxima

Archontophoenix%20maxima2.JPG

Thick trunk on a Chamaedorea woodsoniana

Chamaedorea%20woodsoniana%20trunk%20(Medium)%20(Small).JPG

Well,

So here are some promised pictures of juvenile Malagassy Palms.

Dypsis prestoniana

Dypsis%20prestoniana.JPG

Dypsis lastelliana Masola Cape

Dypsis%20lastelliana%20Masola%20Cape.JPG

Ravenea sambiranensis

Ravenea%20sambiranensis.JPG

And finally, the elusive Dypsis sp. * Pink Panther*

Dypsis%20Pink%20Panther.JPG

I want to thank those of you who came yesterday. We were very busy on this first day of our Sale. Hot items that seemed most popular were (of course), the wierd Dypsis and Ravenea, miniature Chamaedoreas including fragrans and tenella, unusual Copernicia (we found some nice ones), Crotons! (they are really getting popular-see picture below for my favorite), blue Encephalartos, especially nubimontanus, middleburgensis and cupidus, Dypsis baronii (15g nice ones), big Caryota gigas (they are still selling) and the prettiest unlabeled Coccothrinax we found on a back table. The backs of the leaves were more silver than a silver dollar. Jesse thought they were C. Scoporia, but I'm not sure as the labels were lost. I should take some photos. We sold a lot of plants yesterday and never stoped running around. Remember, the Sale lasts for 2 weeks so everyone has time to drop by. We're there M-Sat. And, if you are distand and want mail order, call me. It's our best Sale ever.

Phil

619 291 4605

My favorite croton

586W5330%20(Small).JPG

Close up Neophloga Pink Crown Shaft

586W5329%20(Small).JPG

The new "Ravenea Species Giant". I'm hoping that this is the same one in Darians garden that has super long leaves.

586W5315%20(Small).JPG

Juvenile Loxococcus rupicola

586W5314%20(Small).JPG

Phil, always the best stuff.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Grandson Morgan saying "What's the name of that one again?"

586W4486%20(Small).JPG

Len,

Thanks for the feedback.

Now, to clarify one of the pictures above, here's a picture of Ravenea sp. "Giant" at the garden of Dr. Mardi Darian. Now, that's one big Ravenea. I didn't measure the leaves, but they are 20 feet at least.

RaveneaSpGiant01-02082008%20(Small).JPG

Phil

I Will second the point that Phil has awesome plants!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Phil,

You have some really nice palms to offer from looking at all the photos. I'm glad to hear it's going very good and hope it continues. I think your smart introducing some crotons there. They can only add more beauty to one's garden and give it a more tropical look and feel. It's great to see and include your grandson in the sale also.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bill and Jeff,

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words. I'll show a few more pictures and I hope people are enjoying them.

I love Ceratozamias. They take filtered light and give an effect that palms don't quite create.

Ceratozamia leaf

Ceratozamia%20leaf.JPG

A small Ceratozamia latifolia

89A-Ceratozamia-latifolia.gif

Ceratozamia miquelliana leaf

ceratozamia_miquelliana001_emerging_leaves.jpg

Ceratozamia sp. "el mirador"

ceratozamia_sp_el_mirador_004_leaf.GIF

Ooops..I better get up some more palm shots or Dean may bust me for showing you too many cycads.

Phl

OK, some more palms: to learn and have fun.

Chamaedorea linearis is one of my favorites. What a chameleon. The trunks change colors from time to time, mixing white, yellow, green and black. And, then the crown shaft looks like a Picasso painting. This is from a 25g 12 foot tall plant at the Nursery. I don't recall the sex.

Chamaedorea%20linearis%20crown%20shaft.JPG

I think Chamaedorea geonomiformis is where the "cute as a bug's ear" saying came from. Check it out. Flowering size in a 5g.

Chamaedorea%20geonomiformis.JPG

And, now a Chamaeforea that use to be common and isn't seen too much anymore: Chamaedorea klotskiana. Note the clumping of the leaflets; way cool. From the leaf of a 15g plant.

Chamaedorea%20klotskiana%20leaf.JPG

Wow, with all the Chamaedorea pictures, you'd think I was related to Don Hodel.

Phil

Now for a few more species.

Encephalartos middelburgensis, a Tranvaal species from South Africa. It's quite sought after and rare. This is a shippable size plant.

Encephalartos%20middelburgensis01.JPG

Encephalartos altensteinii. This is a fast growing, medium large South African cycad.

Encephalartos%20altensteinii02.JPG

People asked me how many benches do we have and that it takes a long time to see them all. So, I decided to calculate the running length of all the benches combined, inside and outside. This includes walkways, benches, tables and display areas. Well, if you walked everywhere to see everything, you will have walked about 4 miles, with over 2 miles of tables/display isles inside the greenhouse.

Below is one of these. We pretty much start everything from seed and in three to five years you've got something to look at.

Random%20Palms2.JPG

I thought I'd show some interesting photos. Some of you probably live in a cold area. Over the years we've sold a lot of the Jubaea X Butia. These are pictures of that cross, an F2 Hybrid, in a 5g pot.

First, a shot of the hybrid. The plant is about 4 to 5 years old and 3 feet tall.

JubaeaXButia%205g.JPG

Now, take a closer look at the leaf. You will notice that it doesn't look like a Jubaea nor does it appear to be a Butia. Butia are blue-gray, have definite recurving leaves when this size, and display sort of rough proximal petioles with hair or fiber. Jubaea have cleaner petioles, are green, and basically don't look like this.

JubaeaXButia%205g.JPG

Now one more thing. Note how the leaf is "hung up" and not opening. On this plant there are at least 3 leaves doing this. Also, note that the leaflets are more narrow than a Jubaea.

JubaeaXButia%20closeup%20leaf.JPG

The benefit of this hybrid is that it gives a much quicker growing "Jubaea Lookalike" that has more cold tolerance.

Phil

I thought I'd show a few shots of the Dypsis decipiens, red form. Some call it "super red". Some of you may have seen the photo from Mardi Darian's garden. It's different from a regular decipiens in showing the red and hopefully having a white crownshaft when more mature.

Here's a shot of a 10g plant. It has 2 trunks.

Dypsis%20decipiens%20red.JPG

Now, a bit closer look:

Dypsis%20decipiens%20red%20closer.JPG

Now, a closeup:

Dypsis%20decipiens%20red%20closeup.JPG

You can just see the white forming on the base of the above stem. Also, the red is very apparent. When you compare this plant with a regular decipiens, you'll begin to appreciate the difference.

Phil

A few people have contacted me asking what are our prices on palms. They are at our website. But, let me give you an example of prices during this sale:

15g, many up to 10 feet or more $140 on most species. Some of these plants are 8 years old.

5g, $52 on most species, many up to six feet.

2g, $32 on most species.

A few pictures:

Chambeyronia m. 5g, over 5 feet tall

Chambeyronia%20macrocarpa%205g.JPG

Hedyscepe, 15g, 6 ft tall to top of spike

586W5153%20(Small).JPG

Dypsis leptocheilos, 10 to 12 feet tall, $140

586W4952.JPG

Phil

I was up at Jungle Music this weekend. Lot's of killer stuff and great prices. The plants are looking so well grown, healthy & robust. The larger stuff seems like especially good bargains with this discount Phil's offering. I saw Len stop in and grab a real nice Pinanga javana that was about 6 feet tall overall. I got a Ravenea xerophila that was baking down in the hot cycad area. I noticed lots of different Ceroxylons too that are getting very large in 15 gallon containers, probably one of the few palms that would really appreciate a late fall/winter planting. Thanks Phil!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matt,

Thanks for the feedback. Some may remember, but about 2 years ago we potted up over 1000 rare palms into 15g size and now these things are busting out of the containers. I think our selection of very good sized 5 and 15g palms are one of our strongpoints right now. If you shop around and compare quality of the plants with size/price, I think we are looking pretty good. A woman over the weekend got a 7g Syagrus botryophora with an overall height 8 feet. You've seen the leptocheilos above at 10 to 12 feet. And, all of these are 20% off. And, regarding the Ceroxylon, I'm amazed there's so many left. It's taken 5 to 6 years to get them up to 5g size and they are very nice for $52. Remember, we can still sneak in mail orders. Yesterday we sent out 12 boxes of palms and 4 of cycads.

Phil

A few more interesting photos of things we have at the nursery:

Encephalartos msinganus (aka E. msinga) is quite rare and threatened in habitat. You can see the yellow cone, which I think might end up being a female. Nowadays we are setting a lot more domestic seeds on the rare Encephalartos.

Encephalartos%20msinganus%20(Medium).JPG

Caudex of a fairly old Encephalartos altensteinii in a 24 inch box. I'd say it's about 25 years old or so.

Encephalartos%20altensteinii03.JPG

Leaf of the sometimes (what I feel is) hard to grow Dypsis perrieri

Dypsis%20perrieri2.JPG

and the plant

Dypsis%20perrieri.JPG

Phil

I always forget. We have a very limited supply of the 5g size of Heliconia rostrata from Peru. It's the only lobster claw that will live outdoors in the coastal parts of our area. Check out this link. Sorry, I don't have photos of the flower myself. It is a real winner.

Phil

Heliconia rostrata

I've gotten several emails from people who say they like the photos. So, I'll post a few more.

First, the most popular cycad I sell is Encephalartos horridus. Here's shots of a few different plants.

horridus2e%20(Medium).JPG

Closeup foliage, E. horridus

horridus2c%20(Medium).JPG

Another specimen, E. horridus

30%20Encephalartos%20horridus,%20crown%20(Small)%20(Small).jpg

A medium sized Encephalartos princeps, also really blue colored. People who like the blue, but don't like the "pokeyness" of the horridus, typically like princeps.

62%20Encephalartos%20princeps%20(Small).jpg

Crown of Dioon merolae, native to Mexico. The leaves overlap and are really stiff. Sometimes the color is blue-green.

11%20Dioon%20merolae%2024in%20box,%20crown%20(Medium).jpg

Smaller cycads in 1g, a very easy size for shipping.

Cycads%20small%20for%20shipping.JPG

Phil

Now for some more palms and general shots.

Below is a tall Rhapis humilus. Surprisingly, in our locality R. humilus will take full sun. R. excelsa does poorly with full sun. The humilus is the plant right in the middle of this grouping.

rhapis2(sameplant).jpg

A group of various plants

586W1931%20(Small).JPG

Same, another area

586W1929%20(Small).JPG

A different area

586W2554%20(Small).JPG

Phil

Below is a Chamaedorea brachypoda. People mistake this palm for Chamaedorea stolinifera, but these leaflets are more "puffy" and thinner substance. A very attractive clumping plant.

586W2803%20(Small).JPG

A rare epiphytic cycad that lives in trees in habitat is named Zamia pseudoparasitica. The name suggests the situation where this species is not parasitic at all, but basically sharing space on limbs of the tree that supports it. This plant is about 5 years old and not nearly as big as they get. A mature plant will have 5 foot long leaves, carrying a head of perhaps 10 to 20 leaves. As this species is epiphytic, I grow it in a mixture of half shredded up sphagnum moss and half cycad mix. The water just gushes through the mix.

Zamia%20pseudoparasitica%20(Small).JPG

Please let me know if you like my posting of all these photos. So often people ask me for pictures of the plants we grow, so I figure this gives people a better idea of what we are growing and doing at Jungle Music. Thanks. I really appreciate the feedback.

Phil

Keep posting pix, Phil. For some of these, its a longer viewing than I've taken to see when "cruising the aisles". (Shon of course, being the expert) :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Everyone likes blue cycads. Above you have seen pictures of Encephalartos horridus (with a closeup of the leaf/leaflets), Encephalartos princeps, and Encephalartos lehmanii. There is only one species left to form the group of "Basic Blue Encephalartos": that is Encephalartos trispinosus. These four species make up the more commonly seen blue Encephalartos. It is true that there are also blue species from further north in South Africa from the area of the Transvaal. And, I've posted a few of them above.

But, for these "Basic Blues" there are four. A way to remember them is:

1. No barbs on the side of the leaflets: E. lehmanii or princeps

2. Barbs on the side of the leaflets, E. horridus or trispinosus.

E. trispinosus is what the name says: three spines. And, this does include the terminal spine. In the classic leaflet form, there are two barbs on the side of the leaflet and the terminal spine. That makes "tri-spines". The mid-spine on horridus flips to an approximate 90 degree angle from the axis of the leaflet. That's how you recognize it. Trispinosus can do this a little, but far less pronounced. If you look at the closeup of the trispinosus below, you'll see the three spines.

Encephalartos trispinosus

Encephalartos%20trispinosus.JPG

Closeup of leaf, Encephalartos trispinosus

Encephalartos%20trispinosus%20(1).JPG

Blue cycads need sun to be blue. And, outdoor sun is the best. In a humid greenhouse, blue cycads turn green. This is because the powder that the leaves put out is to conserve water. In a greenhouse, because of humidity, there is not reason to conserve water. So, the plants shed their powder. Below is a picture of an outdoor grown, really blue E. trispinosus

encephalartos_trispinosus_0017.GIF

So, now you're learning about those cycads that are so addictive.

Phil

And, since I'm doing themes, I will do a little more with Caryotas.

Caryota gigas is known by many. I could write a lot about this species, but summarizing I would say it's a fairly quick grower, a hugely thick trunk, and will probably peak out at 35 to 40 feet. It's fatter trunked but shorter than Caryota urens. It's leaves are longer than urens, typically 14 to 16 feet long when mature. But, it's got that georgeous leaflet with its sculptured margins and a bit of two-tone green color.

So, here's a Caryota gigas in a 24 inch box. Stand back, it's going to explode in the gound.

Caryota%20gigas.jpg

And, here's a photo of one in the ground, and not a really big one at that.

caryota_gigas_002.GIF

Below is a species of Caryota that is probably Caryota no. Tell me what you think.

Caryota%20species.JPG

Here's three Caryota no photographed by me in Bogor Botanical Garden in Java about 20 years ago.

caryota_no_004.GIF

Phil