IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Colin's palm collecing in California

Kamipalms

Sorry Dave Hughson and I didn't get down there to hook up with you guys..... when we came to a halt and started idling down the I-5 about 4 miles out of Oceanside, we knew it would be a long trip!!!

Glad you guys(and gals!) had fun.

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Colin has nothing but praise for everyone who has helped out - y'all know who you are

the only reason he hasn't chimed in himself is he hasn't rested for a moment

I get by with a little help from my fronds

ALERT!

Any European guys going to Bi on 1st Oct please noe if you are going via States that passports must be valid for at least 6 months.

Regardez

Juan

Juan

Oral germination!  That's an advanced sign of Palmitis!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Colin's illness, like mine, is very advanced.

We got together on Saturday and I showed him my place, while the men and women in the white suits all stalked us . . . .

He even endured a fiery afternoon for the tour.

He also managed to visit Louis Hooper's place, also in La Habra, just down the road.

The rays of good times beamed off Colin like the sun . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hey Colin,

If you are reading this, can you try and get me an aloha shirt ?  Not too exy, From an OP shop will do.

thanks

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Dave,

Since you mentioned Louis Hooper, next time you see him please give him my VERY best regards. I hope he is doing OK. I visited his wonderful place a couple of times way back and I always enjoyed it. Plus Louis would always sell me a few of his expertly grown beauties! Tell him that every time I see the name La Habra, I think of him!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(Wal @ Sep. 06 2006,14:58)

Hey Colin,

If you are reading this, can you try and get me an aloha shirt ?  Not too exy, From an OP shop will do.

thanks

sorry, man - Colin & Wife departed for Oz yesterday;

at the time of your post, he was in a hotel room cramming plants into a form-tube (the kind used for casting concrete)

Hello to all,

My wife and I have arrived home. We would like to thank all of the people who helped make our time in Socal such a great time. It was great to meet Don Hodel and Lou hooper. Lou and his wife showed me around their garden discussing palms and  mutual friends in Australia of his and Dons.

Had a visit with Dave and we had a tour of his garden and was suprised at the growth of his palms.

Visited Huntington, Quail and San Diego Zoo. Need to come back again to be able to spend more time looking at the  public gardens we missed!!

Visited Jacks garden amazing how it all fits in, Rons garden and greenhouse. Dan at  Anderson and spent a lot of time with Jessie at Jungle Music, Danny's home and greenhouse area. Mattyb took me for a tour of Dypsis deans garden with paul and matty showed me how to navigate jungle music. On the way back north we visited Gregs garden

When we first arrived Danny, Jack  and Justin contacted us. Justin took us to south coast plaza and toured the palms there (Denise was happy, she went shoping)

He also gave us a few palms for Daryl.

Danny and his lady Ali where our tour Guides at Huntington and Jack joined us later in the day. We had a great time (Danny Jack and I, the ladies kept rolling their eyes)

That night we all had dinner together with our wives , Fred and his wife turned up with some excellent bottles of wine, and enjoyable time had by all.

thanks to Don hodel's advice and to the species he donated to the cause.

On the way south we visited Ron who was very generous with the chamaedorea's for Jason, parted with his collection some came out of his garden,many thanks.

Matty had been locatting and putting aside palms for Jason, phil and jessie allowed them to be left for us at jungle music, thanks to Bob Chang for his contributions, and his time.

Thanks to Jessie for the extra palms he donated and for

for searching for other palms at the nursery. 1 for me took nearly all day to find. Jessie team labelled all the palms for us.

Another great dinner out with Matt and his wife, lots to discuss as Matt's wife lived in Australia for a while.

Dan had chamaedorea put aside for Jason, what a drive!! expected to see old cowboy prospectors and their mules coming through some of them their hills.

forgot some so  he took them home with him saving us a drive. We picked up some very nice palms from Greg   for Daryl.

Offers of other Chamaedorea's came from Joe, Gary (who we just could not get to in the time available) and others. Jason had had these specie, thank you for your offers. Spoke to others on the phone. Had a nice dinner with Dave and Danny.

A bit jet lagged so we are sorry if we have missed something

The van was full of palms, could not see out the back , arrived back in LA straight to a members storage area.

We would like to make a special thank you to a person. He gave up 2 days income to help us pack the plants, made the process a very happy one, full of memories and laughter. We packed in 100 degres heat 13.5 hours none stop, removing all the dirt from the palms , washing the plant roots one by one, cutting of any suspect sick leaves, removing any bugs, sourcing moss, when that ran out, newspapers, plastic bags , second hand suitcase, builders tube, tape etc. We are sure he can fix anything. The next day he brought the builders tube to the hotel where we did the final pack, came to the airport in case something went wrong. gave up seeing his lady for about 3 days and nights

Danny Lewis you are a legend, we would not have made it without your help, thank you very much.

The nicest part of the visit was meeting the people and your families. Denise and i enjoyed meeting you all and if you are ever coming our way let us know so we can return your warm hospitality

warmest regards

Colin and Denise

ps photo's and plant details will follow

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Welcome back Col. Look forward to your pics.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Colin- Yeah Danny is a legend. When I was planning the first trip into Mexico back in early 2005, Danny sent me a PM asking if he could come along, saying the more the merrier ( it was very merry I tell you, but I can't say much about Danny's reaction to the women.....=) ). He came along and it was a blast. Then, while on this trip back in Early July of this year, he allowed Richard Travis and I to stay at his place and gave us tours and things. He truly is a legend and a great friend. Plus, he got Jack to meet us at the Huntington, so I got to meet another person from the board. Glad you had a great trip to the States.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

another Aussie tall tale...

Firstly, Colin did all the work - I was playing hooky from other obligations;

he was going to bare root 85+ plants in a hotel room or public park - I was trying to spare him persona non grata  status, so I offered him a work area at my weed patch (plus a garden hose).  All in all, it was a hoot; wonderful folks, terrific enthusiasm - world class

Hi all,

As promised some details of arrival

Arrived Sydney 6.05, straight to the quarantine checking area, all plants taken for delivery to the quarantine inspection centre in Roseberry, Sydney. leave airport 7.30 find a place for a quick shower and then onto the centre. plants arrive 9.45am. we helped unpack and  bareroot the palms again from the moss and paper protecting the roots. where they commented they where the cleanest plants and roots they had sen for along time, no plants where rejected, (thanks danny,well done, we double checked each other) 12.00 leave with sealed containers for the fumigation  of the palms. 14.30 quarantine inspectors check the plants again for to ensure they had sufficient gases to eliminate any live bugs. Palms repacked and sealed,15.05 drive to eastern creek quarantine station arriving at 15.50. They close for the weekend at 1600.

but because we had kept in touch when overseas and when we arived through the day., they stayed back in their own time and helped us repot 94 seedlings and palms. THey are all plants lovers who work there and these where the first palms they had seen come to quarantine. Only one person had seen live palms about 12 years ago when you only had to pay about $10 per plant. Now only commercial operators bring in plants in large quantities to offset the costs.

we have to pay per sqm per month and for1.1sqm you pay for 2. As it turns out we have .8 left to fill. HMM have to find some plants for me. Due to the new charging system introduced 18 months ago imports are down 50% , A great facility, fully climate controlled with excellent potting mix, clean as an operating theatre. The plants are going to live in a better enviroment than we are!! They will live there for the next 2 years with regular inspections for desease,

18.00 left for the 2 hour drive home relieved that they arrived safely into quarantine

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Hi all,

This is the ingenuis method danny came up with a few hours before we had to leave for the airport.

Some species of chamaedorea's where just to tall to fit in the siutcase we bought at the second hand store for $14.

This is a picture of a cut down 14" diameter tube used for creating concrete columns. Danny found it, the tape and stickers, we taped the bottoms of the palms into the container and put wet paper inside to keep up the humidity and bubble wrap as support. This picture was taken at the airport, They Qantas man put it and suitcase on the plane personally so the baggage handles would not damage the palms, fantastic service

regards

Colin

regards

colin

post-197-1157874559_thumb.jpg

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

nothing like a well planned exercise all coming together and it just goes to show that people's true colors really come out in a time of need.

Right from the beginning from tracking plants in the States to final inspection at Australian Quarantine .

The other point I'd like to make is everything here has been planned and followed by the book right down to permits, booking space at Quarantine and informing the nessesary parties of whats going on - the perfect ingredients for trouble free smoothe sailing.

Plus the fact that the Quarantine officers jobs were made very easy putting Colin on their good side right from the word go will make things easier in the long run.

To every one who had a hand in helipng Colin - give your selves a big pat on the back, you deserve it 36_2_25.gif

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future