IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ailing Areca novohibernica

tjwalters

Where is the pot relating to the light?

Also, have you been fertilizing it plenty.

Maybe you could also check soil PH. If it is overly in one direction, make sure you very much dilute any solution to fix it you can.

How do you water it?

1. The pot is in my office, on a SW window sill.  I doubt that it is too much sun/heat, as the damage starts at the tip and progresses inward.
  2. Light granular fertilizer (Bayer 3-in-1) - only applied once.
  3. Water very carefully - I've lost a couple to rot.
  4. I do occasionally pour on a bit of leftover black coffee (coffee is from fresh-ground beans, with nothing added).  Other plants seem to love it.

New spear is pushing and healthy.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

38 minutes ago, Palmsbro said:

It looks like this palm needs lots of water (precipitation is above 180 in a year! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bougainville_Island#Climate).

What is the humidity in your office?

Humidity is typical office, which is to say probably on the dry side, but at least it never gets too cool, and there's plenty of light.  There are other plants around, which should help a bit.  As soon as the weather warms up, I'll move it outside and give it plenty of water.  As long as it's still on the cool side (early spring here) I don't want to water it too much, lest I lose it to rot.  It never dries out completely.

Tom

hardiestpalms.com

3 minutes ago, tjwalters said:

Humidity is typical office, which is to say probably on the dry side, but at least it never gets too cool, and there's plenty of light.  There are other plants around, which should help a bit.  As soon as the weather warms up, I'l move it outside and give it plenty of water.  As long as it's still on the cool side (early spring here) I don't want to water it too much, lest I lose it to rot.

I understand the concerns about rot as that is even a problem outside here. I have no idea what you could do for your palm at this point.

23 hours ago, tjwalters said:
  1. The pot is in my office, on a SW window sill.  I doubt that it is too much sun/heat, as the damage starts at the tip and progresses inward.
  2. Light granular fertilizer (Bayer 3-in-1) - only applied once.
  3. Water very carefully - I've lost a couple to rot.
  4. I do occasionally pour on a bit of leftover black coffee (coffee is from fresh-ground beans, with nothing added).  Other plants seem to love it.

New spear is pushing and healthy.

It looks nervous :interesting:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Tom, it looks like these palms need very high humidity, like most Areca. That's no problem for us here in East Hawaii.

Here are a few photos of one in the back garden, it's the tall one in the back. The crown shaft is green, but there is an old leaf sheaf ready to fall off.

Prominent stilt roots, kinda like A. guppyana. 

Tim

P1050367.jpg

P1050368.jpg

• Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Humidity is definitely not high.  It will spend the summer outside, which may help.

According to Kew, A. guppyana  is a synonym.

Tom

hardiestpalms.com

Interesting, it looked more robust than the A. guppynana, ( which I removed earlier), so I thought it was different. So much for that. 

Thanks Tom

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii