Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

RIP Alfred Razafindratsira

4 posts in this topic

I'm kinda surprised to not find this here yet, but Alfred of the Beccariophoenix alfredii fame and major seed supplier for a huge amount of the Madagascar palms passed away this past Tuesday I believe.

I find it comforting that just by happenstance I planted this alfredii on Monday. I have had it for years courtesy Pete Balasky who got the seed from Alfred before it was named.

RIP Alfred, a great contributor to the plant and Palm world.

May he rest in peace. He will live in each of our beccariophoenix alfredii.

It's sad to hear about this loss.  I had the opportunity to meet Alfred briefly on a short trip that I made to Madagascar a couple of years ago with Len.  It's great to know that his name will live on in the plant world thanks to the naming of Beccariophenix for him.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Beccariophoenix alfredii
      By Jdiaz31089
      Following Dave's advice, I've been generous with the amount of water I give beccariophoenix alfredii - and boy does this palm love it. This palm doesn't even bat an eye in full sun and endless weeks of 110 degree weather. 

• Pink Rot
      By The Steve
      A few months back, I forgot to turn off my irrigation, and I left it on all night.  Not too long after, my Beccariophoenix got pink rot.  I splashed some daconil and Copper Fungicide in the crown, along with some Hydrogen Peroxide.    There look to be a few spears that are now pushing up.  I've wiped down the crown.  I think that it will pull through, but it would be nice to contain the particulates near the top of the spear - or cut them out.  Plant looks great otherwise.  Any additional thoughts?

• Beccariophoenix alfredii before & after
      By DoomsDave
      Since everyone loves before and after pictures, I thought the pics of my "Three Amigo" B. alfredii might prove instructive.
      Here they are, planted around a big D. decipiens that later died. Picture below with The Shoe TM for idea on size. They were planted in 2009 (maybe 2010) from five gallons.

• Beccariophoenix alfredii -
      By Axlhoss
      This is just a little over 6 years old from a 1 gallon 3 leaf seedling.  I'm 6'2" so I'm guessing 15'. super stoked! just thought I'd post. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone. 

• Beccariophoenix alfredii wanted
      By kirkhutch
      I'm looking for a 1-7g B. alfredii with shipping to AZ. Thank you!