Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

RIP Alfred Razafindratsira

4 posts in this topic

I'm kinda surprised to not find this here yet, but Alfred of the Beccariophoenix alfredii fame and major seed supplier for a huge amount of the Madagascar palms passed away this past Tuesday I believe.

I find it comforting that just by happenstance I planted this alfredii on Monday. I have had it for years courtesy Pete Balasky who got the seed from Alfred before it was named.

RIP Alfred, a great contributor to the plant and Palm world.

28080751_1644571172275182_920413177_o.jpg

May he rest in peace. He will live in each of our beccariophoenix alfredii.

It's sad to hear about this loss.  I had the opportunity to meet Alfred briefly on a short trip that I made to Madagascar a couple of years ago with Len.  It's great to know that his name will live on in the plant world thanks to the naming of Beccariophenix for him.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• new Beccariophoenix alfredii street plantings in downtown Orlando
      By Eric in Orlando
      Thanks to a tip from PalmTalker donalt, I went downtown Orlando to investigate a couple of possible Beccariophoenix alfredii street plants. Sure enough they turned out to be BA. The first and second photos are of 7 planted in a median that separates bus and car lanes. It is on Livingston St. just east of I-4 in between the LYNX bus station and ACE Cafe. Interestingly the ACE Cafe is located in the historic Leu Building; Mr. Leu of Leu Gardens fame, this is where his business and warehouses were located. 

• Here goes nothing
      By Tropicdoc
      I couldn't resist..... I put my alfies in the ground. Zone 9a. I will protect them like Walt does his coconut in Central Florida until it they are too big or I  am too old. Maybe we will get a freak run of warm winters.

• Western hemisphere: were are we regarding B.Alfredii seeds?
      By GottmitAlex
      Have our 12-15 year old B.alfredii produced any seeds yet?

• Beccariophoenix alfredii
      By Jdiaz31089
      Following Dave's advice, I've been generous with the amount of water I give beccariophoenix alfredii - and boy does this palm love it. This palm doesn't even bat an eye in full sun and endless weeks of 110 degree weather. 

• Pink Rot
      By The Steve
      A few months back, I forgot to turn off my irrigation, and I left it on all night.  Not too long after, my Beccariophoenix got pink rot.  I splashed some daconil and Copper Fungicide in the crown, along with some Hydrogen Peroxide.    There look to be a few spears that are now pushing up.  I've wiped down the crown.  I think that it will pull through, but it would be nice to contain the particulates near the top of the spear - or cut them out.  Plant looks great otherwise.  Any additional thoughts?