IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Areca vestiaria

bubba

These are several Areca vestiaras ( single trunk form) growing in Florida. I have read varying accounts of their viability in Southern California and the south of Spain. Can anyone in these regions provide photographic evidence:IMG_0678.thumb.JPG.dd40f8ee445ee26b7f0f3

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

In South Florida, these need lots of humidity, water, and the occasional application of iron, or their leaves will look tattered. Orange variety is a tad bit easier than the red form. Yellow form is the hardest to grow.

Bubba, I suspect it would be quite difficult for California or Spain to provide this palm's humidity needs...

I grew this red Areca vestiaria from a sprouted seed... but I must admit it's always been indoors here in NorCal! This color may be more cold-hardy. From Palmpedia: "It has been reported that there is substantial color variation depending on elevation, with the more colorful plants coming from higher elevations. Observations, at least in cultivation, indicate the maroon variety suckers more readily than the orange form. "

Areca.jpg

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, bubba said:

These are several Areca vestiaras ( single trunk form) growing in Florida. I have read varying accounts of their viability in Southern California and the south of Spain. Can anyone in these regions provide photographic evidence:

I grew one for maybe 18 months?  It did really well, until a log fell on it.  Immediate decline.  I may try one in a few years, when I have better filtered light.

I have another, that is an ideal house plant.  

When I planted it.

IMAG0211.thumb.jpg.bfd82eafae8f5578a5a44

Before the log fell on it.

IMAG0932.thumb.jpg.3bfa90c2a487c5c052ca0IMAG0933.thumb.jpg.89ec62bc064b4e0bb53b5

• Upvote 1

I've tried several of these at different times and locations in my old yard here in southwest Florida.  Never had any luck.  I think they need an acidic soil. Wish I had better luck with these.  In Hawaii they are perfection. 

Originally a 4" from Floribunda. It's not much to look at but has been through 2 winters in the ground. IMG_9264.thumb.JPG.3a1e990ebc1fe131a2f55

the 1 gallons I've gotten look much better. This went through this past winter in the ground. IMG_9266.thumb.JPG.53c8c8e79fed924ca59bc

I have one other in the ground that got a little sun burned but is growing out of it after the winter. Four in the ground total now and one more in a pot that was outdoors last winter. 

After discovering the Floribunda candy store a few years ago, I of course also tried a bunch of uber-tropicals which either just flat out died or looked ragged most of the time and then slowly withered away, which is a process that's still going on.

I never tried A. vestiaria, so what's stopping me now? Someone please talk me out of it. lol

15 minutes ago, Pando said:

After discovering the Floribunda candy store a few years ago, I of course also tried a bunch of uber-tropicals which either just flat out died or looked ragged most of the time and then slowly withered away, which is a process that's still going on.

I never tried A. vestiaria, so what's stopping me now? Someone please talk me out of it. lol

I've killed my fair share of things but this hasn't been one of them (except for a yellow 4"). You should definitely go for it!

They seem to do OK in Sonora MX. These were single 4 in. from Floribunda less than a year ago. Their energy is spent clumping right now. It is 100° today 58% humidity no problems yet, the real heat starts next month. We shall see. Grew a lot in winter here.

IMG_20170614_094012.jpg

IMG_20170614_094043.jpg

• Upvote 1