IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germinated coconut in supermarket

Stelios

I found this coconut in a local supermarket and it seems it germinated there. Should I let it as it is in a warm place or should I put it in a plastic bag with a few drops of water first for extra humidity?

20170313_122031[1].jpg

• Upvote 3

Isn't that ready to be put half-buried in soil?

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

I'm not sure. I'm afraid if I bury it now it will rot. I was thinking is better if it will grow a bigger root like I saw in other posts. I can hear the water inside so i guess it will feed for sometime. 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Definitely keep the root moist. Don't let that dry up! But don't let mold grow on it.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try this and keep it in a warm place. We'll see how it goes.

• 7 months later...

After I lost the 1st coconut due to mold, I found another coconut in August in a supermarket which was already germinated and this time I planted it as soon as it had some root. I had it in the partial shade during the head of the summer but recently I had it in more full sun. Yesterday the temps reached around 28 C in my town (maybe under the sun the nut saw more than 30 C) and it cracked a bit. I'm not sure now if it will have a problem or it will keep growing. It looks like the roots grew pretty good since August. The temps so far in November are around 24-25 C in the day and 13-15 C in the night.

20171114_113419.jpg

20171114_113348.jpg

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Maybe your supermarket should rotate their stock more often. Hate to see what the meat case looks like.

Thats not true. This specific place has some of the best fruits vegetables and meat. And locals eat a lot of meat so everything is sold fast.

Just because people here don't buy the coconuts from the supermarkets, it doesn't mean that the other products are not good. These coconuts that the supermarkets don't keep in the fridge are more easy to germinate even right there. These nuts which I bought they were from 2 different places. I even found a video how to germinate a supermarket coconut on youtube (I think from the UK) and he also mentions that a germinated coconut could also be found in a store. So is not unusual.

Anyway my question was about this palm.

Edited by Stelios
  • Upvote 1