IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Do I Buy S. Minor 'McCurtian' or a "Normal" S. Minor?

PalmTreeDude

I was originally planning on ordering some Sabal minor 'McCurtian' to plant here soon, but, I have read that Sabal minor 'McCurtian'defoliate quicker than other Sabal minor ecotypes. I am on the boarder of zone 7a/7b in Virginia, so wouldn't any Sabal minor be "bulletproof" here? 

PalmTreeDude

Is the plan to put it in the ground? I used to be in a 6B (now in 6A) and it is a struggle. I know the temptation to put in the ground (and I've 

succumb to it) You will read about the minimum temperatures cold hardy palms will take but what really does them in is persistent cool wet weather. I have a potted plain old Sabal Minor and I have gotten it to flower and seed the past two springs. In May just like clock work. Not to dissuade you but list a thought. I can post a pic this weekend if you like.

6 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I was originally planning on ordering some Sabal minor 'McCurtian' to plant here soon, but, I have read that Sabal minor 'McCurtian'defoliate quicker than other Sabal minor ecotypes. I am on the boarder of zone 7a/7b in Virginia, so wouldn't any Sabal minor be "bulletproof" here? 

No two locations have the same climate, even if they are in the same zone...so my neck of the woods may be a little different even if most of Oklahoma is 7a or 7b. In my experience Sabal minor is pretty much rock solid in zone 7. Even if they get damaged in a hard winter, they come back from pretty incredible cold. I have lost a handful of seedlings over the years, but I've never lost a minor over strap leaf size. I even planted one in front of the north side of my parents' house about five years ago. They don't give it any real care aside from occasional watering in the summer, and it thrives in east central OK.

Long story short, I think you would be fine planting any variety of sabal minor in your area. You may want to baby them the first year or two, but I think they'll do fine for you...With the disclaimer that Virginia is not Oklahoma, though I don't think the differences would be enough to thwart you.

On 2/23/2017, 4:14:05, PalmTreeDude said:

You definitely want a hardy ecotype.  I'd suggest McCurtain or a type from Arkansas.  They should be able to handle more cold than types that grow here in Florida just due to natural selection.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I have a small McCurtain and it sailed through two weeks of sub-zero temperatures and daytime highs below freezing and didn't show any signs of cold stress. However, I have no other minor to compare it to. Most years we are roughly in zone 7.

Edited by Flow

• 2 weeks later...

Here in the Wichita, Kansas area, I've seen Sabal minor (McCurtain, Cape Hatteras, North Texas,) Sabal Louisiana, and Brazoria grown, and I honestly can't see a difference between them...they all handle our cold very well...very little if any damage.  

• Upvote 1

El_Dorado.gif

• 5 months later...

The 'mc curtain' ecotype is very hardy.  I've had them growing at my Mom's house in Kansas City, Mo z6 for 20 years.  I know they've prospered in Wichita for decades also.  

• Like 1