IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

how did coconuts fair in sarasota 2010

Mr.SamuraiSword

How did the coconuts fair in Sarasota in 2010-2011 winter?  Venice?  englewood?  also, were the coconuts of that area wiped out in the 1989 freeze?  what is the oldest coconut in the englewood venice area?

these are some I saw in april 2016.  must have been newley planted due to heavy trimmings.  most other cocos had more leaves and looked much better and most were fruiting and some were quite tall.

2016-04-20.thumb.jpg.8fb2eb6422e43c0c480

Depends on where you look. Out on the Barrier islands off of Manatee and Sarasota, there was damage everywhere, but overall about a 90% survival. On the mainland near the water was similar, but the damage got worse the further inland you go. 

• Upvote 3

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

17 hours ago, Zeeth said:

Depends on where you look. Out on the Barrier islands off of Manatee and Sarasota, there was damage everywhere, but overall about a 90% survival. On the mainland near the water was similar, but the damage got worse the further inland you go. 

There are some nice royals on those islands. 

PalmTreeDude

We weren't here in 1989, but we were here, very near the intracoastal, in the winter of 2009-10.  We had 5 coconuts.  Three large ones  (10-15 feet) that were established were hit pretty hard, but recovered within a year.  Two smaller ones more recently planted eventually succumbed.  Well, they got real ugly over the next two years and we finally removed them.  The large ones are 40 feet tall now and are doing great.  

See attached photos. You can also go to google streets. Type in 3941 Clark Rd, Sarasota FL 34233. These Coconuts are about 3 miles from the intracoastal, 5 miles from the gulf. They are out in front of a business facing clark road. They do not appear to be fertilized as I have stopped many times for coconuts. They are landscaped and likely irrigated (at least they have the hoses). As of today these trees are robust and full of coconuts. They got pretty battered as you can see from the 2011 pictures, but made a recovery. I hope this helps. The temperature from weather.com comes from the Sarasota/bradenton airport. Just my opinion, but I have seen many days and nights where I can be 1-10 degrees warmer. Furthermore I would imagine that these coconuts got really cold because the duration of cold was so long. I am sure protected coconuts in residential areas looked better after the 2010 blizzard.589dc7dd180f5_clarkrd2016.thumb.JPG.fc59589dc7e23ca65_clarkrd2007.thumb.JPG.3496589dc7e4616b7_clarkrd2014.thumb.JPG.84bc589dc7dfc2b3c_clarkrd2011.thumb.JPG.e71e