IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's Wrong With My Cyphophoenix?

sbpalms

1486247078293-637994424.thumb.jpg.22f033I've recently noticed that my young Cyphophoenix has brown tips. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

sbpalms_banner1.png.6b44bf3d0d7c501ebff4

Haha, I had it out for a few days last month and it really liked it. I'm waiting for the soil to warm up to plant it though.

2 hours ago, sbpalms said:

I've only observed this on a single frond. All the others are very healthy.

It will be helpful to see a shot of the entire plant, to put the damage in perspective.  Is it one of the newer fronds?  Any changes in exposure (temps or light).  With a little more information, you may get some good feedback from others as to whether it is anything to worry about.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

It is one of the oldest fronds on the palm. The plant currently gets eastern exposure and is in the dining room. I moved it a few weeks ago from the bathroom since it was taking up too much space. I'll try to include a photo of the entire plant, it will be a little difficult since it's getting quite large.

SB, I have not had any problems with Chyphophoenix alba, elegens, or nucele locally he in Santa Barbara.   But, soil type, or growing indoors can pose its challenges.  

Are the rest of the leaves healthy?  Sometimes root rot starts with the oldest leaves turning brown, and eventually one by one, consumes the entire plant.

You shouldn't have any issues growing this in a pot, outdoors here in SB......  Feel free to PM me anytime, and I may be able to give some advise on my local experience.

Hope it pulls through....

• Upvote 3

1486320754001871567139.thumb.jpg.2afdc071486320797994-637994424.thumb.jpg.7c1b7c

Here are some photos of the palm. Carlos, I do believe it is a soil problem. Its soil has been pretty wet since I acquired it over a month ago, with no signs of drying out. It was also situated in an area where it received very little light for a week or so. If it does happen to be root rot, what should I do to prevent it?

Edited by sbpalms

Does root rot usually start with the browning of the oldest leaf on the plant? The leaf in question is not the oldest, the oldest is very healthy and is a deep green. If it means anything, this palm does not receive direct sunlight.

SB, where did you acquire this palm?  Locally, greenhouse or outdoor grown, mail order?  All of these have their own requirements to acclimate the palm.  Also, is the soil fast draining, or heavy?  Without seeing the palm, and going off the pictures, a small heat mat may help dry out the soil.  Root rot starts at the tips of the roots, in soggy wet soil.  Continued damp soil will rot out each root completely.  But roots like heat, and if the soil can dry out a bit, and warm up, it may be salvageable.  Just my opinion, and methods I have used in similar situations.

This palm is from Jungle Music in Encinitas. I believe it was greenhouse grown. The soil is pretty heavy and soggy. Would it be fine to use a heat lamp to dry and heat up the soil?

Edited by sbpalms

6 minutes ago, coops 3214 said:

I found my seedling like heaps of water and i left it in a tray of constant water and it didnt flinch

I believe it's a result of the heavy, soggy soil it's in, not the amount of water it is receiving.

16 hours ago, sbpalms said:

This palm is from Jungle Music in Encinitas. I believe it was greenhouse grown. The soil is pretty heavy and soggy. Would it be fine to use a heat lamp to dry and heat up the soil?

I would be inclined to follow the advice on the heating pad while its inside, however I don't have experience growing palms inside a house.  I would add that it probably will get more air movement and do better once its outside, so would try to make that happen soon.  After being inside your house, and before that in the greenhouse, you will probably want to transition the sun exposure from only a little am to progressively more light.  More light and air movement will help that soil and the roots.  Good luck!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little update. The plant was hastily provided heat from a heat pad, and is currently recovering. It's growing quite quickly. I'm very surprised at how adaptable and tough this plant is.

Edited by sbpalms

23 hours ago, sbpalms said:

The plant was hastily provided heat from a heat pad, and is currently recovering. It's growing quite quickly. I'm very surprised at how adaptable and tough this plant is.

Good news!  Glad to hear that worked out for you.  Now is the time to start thinking about where in your yard you want to plant it, so it can make the transition when the nights start getting less chilly.  Sounds like your area got hammered with rains this last 48 hours!

• 3 months later...

This is an old thread, but I'd thought I would share how the Cyphophoenix looks now. The palm is now outside in a pot, and just made a new leaf. I'm amazed at its resilience and tolerance of abuse! 

Displaying 20170611_201247.jpg

Displaying 20170611_201234.jpg