IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cindy Adair

First a photo as all of us here like them! Dictyocaryum lamarckianum. I promise more photos later.

DSCN4776.thumb.jpg.efe4b97c26366b336be1b

So for some light reading with breakfast I opened up my Genera Palmarum, 2008. Well, not really. I just began by wanting to look at Wettinia photos, but then got interested in their relatives, Socratea, Dictyocaryum, Iriartea,and Iriartella.

I read on page 133 about how the famous authors of this book, including Dr. John Dransfield (who posted about Tahina on Palm Talk recently) met for one week in June 2004 at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY, USA to discuss palm classification. It was fun to think of this meeting while looking at the tables full of Latin names. 

Although I did take two years of Latin, it was in high school and we didn't spend much time on pronunciation, so good thing I am writing rather than talking now.

I read that in the palm family Arecaceae there are 5 subfamilies one of which is the Arecoideae. And within the Arecoideae subfamily there are 13 tribes (and 10 unplaced genera).

One of the tribes is called Iriarteeae. So I learned a little and it wasn't hard compared to organic chemistry or calculus. And I had an excuse to walk around my farm and photograph all the members of the tribe Iriarteea! 

• Upvote 3

Cindy Adair

This Dictyocaryum was planted from a four inch pot size in 2015.

DSCN4769.thumb.jpg.b2709b412504a9107ffef

DSCN4773.thumb.jpg.a52b744c867fbd6bfbf79

I chose more sun on the basis of PT recommendations and the fact that my other one in the ground longer grows very slowly. This was is a speed demon by comparison but Dean and Pete and others put mine to shame. I suspect they actually might water and fertilize theirs while mine just gets my admiration.

Here is the one planted tiny in 2010.

DSCN4781.thumb.jpg.5d2e335f4bb13f4561048

DSCN4780.thumb.jpg.9476d2e848d8882052b45

Some of you have asked to see the surroundings as well as each palm so I have tried to do so with this group.

DSCN4786.thumb.jpg.8c5fbec0e0f654f0a3b42

Stay tuned for more when I have data and time. Please add any of your photos of this tribe! Thanks.

• Upvote 8

Cindy Adair

Here are some Socrateas. First two little Socratea salarzarii trees. These looked about like blades of grass when I stuck them in the ground in June of 2012.

DSCN4796.thumb.jpg.9092cce3a17a872a7abf0

DSCN4789.thumb.jpg.c13c5c127909b6a45422e

DSCN4790.thumb.jpg.4ed67152d92689bf9341b

DSCN4792.thumb.JPG.06d96d2441984bec7b2b7

Another photo of the surroundings. In this area the PVC pipes without orange flagging tape are to mark the switchback trail and provide a hand hold in this steep area. Lots easier in the dry season!

This is Socratea rostrata below, same area and also planted tiny June 2012.

DSCN4814.jpg

DSCN4815.jpg

DSCN4817.jpg

DSCN4818.jpg

DSCN4819.jpg

DSCN4820.jpg

• Upvote 5

Cindy Adair

Moving on to another area not far, but with a little more sun, wetter and flatter land too. Wettinia aequalis from August 2013.

DSCN4821.thumb.jpg.94d9696634c5e55982b2b

DSCN4824.thumb.jpg.a1ea87f75fa7ae6094363

DSCN4825.thumb.jpg.82371d52de376c6de5e57

DSCN4826.thumb.jpg.e4ecc74900dd1ba9144dd

DSCN4827.thumb.jpg.f0163c5bdc4248c6d372c

And nearby my last Wettinia, W. hirsuta planted 4/09.

DSCN4828.jpg

DSCN4829.jpg

DSCN4830.jpg

DSCN4831.jpg

DSCN4832.jpg

• Upvote 5

Cindy Adair

Here are my two Iriarteas, only one species, I. deltoidea in this genus making it called monotypic. I like this word (one type) as it is easy to spell, pronounce and understand!

The first planted 8/11 as a seedling is in lots of shade.

DSCN4835.thumb.jpg.405674060e7856379a461

DSCN4836.thumb.jpg.50d15fbcbd86b28b97746

DSCN4839.thumb.jpg.c5bb67f1f743ce5d5774b

DSCN4841.thumb.JPG.b1fb73bd43d7afbf95e9f

Finally the larger one, planted earlier but also as a very small tree, here is the Iriartea I can see in front of me overtime I type at home.

DSCN4843.jpg

DSCN4844.jpg

DSCN4846.jpg

• Upvote 6

Cindy Adair

I will try yet again to get decent photos of the tall Socratea exorrhiza that was here long before I set foot in PR to add here.

And I would love to see Iriartella too and lots more in the Iriarteeae tribe, and some day head to see them all in their native lands. 

Thanks so much.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

They all look very happy, Cindy! I'm guessing you have more or less a perfect environment for them! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Well, Cindy, you read your Palm tome for breakfast and I read your tutorial and looked at your great photos for mine!  Thanks so much for taking the time to post this.  Your palms are gorgeous and I learned so much!  Wish I could grow those here and that I had as much land to play with.  Thanks again!

Good to hear from you Andrew and Bo and you too Anna!

Thanks, it is beautiful here.

Small downside is the need for a new set of tires (on a car bought new two years ago) where I am waiting for installation right now.

Still with very minimal utility costs I am still ahead!

Good thing for free wi fi and PT access on my smartphone to pass the time.

Cindy Adair

Great palms Cindy!

One thing that surprised me about Socratea salazarii is that it made it through a bad storm this year on only a few stilts, where a couple of other palms fell.

Lookn Great Cindy :greenthumb: I notice yr  D/caryum with "covered " stilt roots is much better looking than  yr past posts , Id do the same to the Rostrata and Wettinia's for chunkier  growth  Love your Iriartea :wub: , a great size to let the stilts reveal themselves IMHO.

Happy New Year Pete 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Pedro 65 said:

Lookn Great Cindy :greenthumb: I notice yr  D/caryum with "covered " stilt roots is much better looking than  yr past posts , Id do the same to the Rostrata and Wettinia's for chunkier  growth  Love your Iriartea :wub: , a great size to let the stilts reveal themselves IMHO.

Happy New Year Pete 

Pete, do you recommend covering the stilt roots of Iriartea? Mine is small, but I've actually been doing the opposite - trying to make sure at least some of them are exposed and not covered by mulch. I was afraid they'd rot. Am I doing it wrong?

Iriartea certainly likes shade when young Ive found...the whole group of these palms arent the easiest things to culture in my world. Just cant dry out. Pete...any losses from this horrible dry we are experiencing but rain is forecast today and all week

Cindy, glad to see your Iriarteeae are doing well and will be stunning in just a few years. 

I've been meaning to respond to this thread for awhile and am finally getting around to posting some photos from the garden.

First of all, I'm a BIG fan of Central and South American palms as most do spectacularly well here in Hawaii. They should do the same

in Puerto Rico. 

Tim

First a couple of shots of a juvenile Iriartea deltoidea and a Socratea exorrhiza. The Socratea is from an errant seed from my large one that got taken out by a tropical storm a few years back. 

Iriartea.jpg

Socratea.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here's a shot of the trunk/crown shaft of a young Wettinia hirsuita. 

P1040547.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

The Iriartea and my other Wettinia have gotten so tall that the best example of the mature leaves are of the fallen fronds.

The first is the Iriartea and the second the Wettinia. 

P1040550.jpg

P1040549.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here's a shot of the Iriartea, the two Wettinia's and the giant thing between them is a New Caledonian tree fern. 

P1040422.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

The last shot is of the three of four Dictyocarium lamarckianum in the back garden. They were fast to take off, but have since slowed down. I think they need a bit

more sun. Can't do much about the warm temps, but they love all the rainfall. 

I also have a small Iriartella armata that's finally starting to show some mojo, but is still relatively small. 

Tim

P1030384.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim, thanks so much for the after pictures I hope my befores will eventually match!

Fantastic as always. 

Someday I do need to get back to HI, as when I last visited more than a decade ago for a meeting I had never planted a single palm nor set foot in Puerto Rico.

I still played hooky one day and visited two botanical gardens on the Big island...

Cindy Adair

On 12/26/2016, 10:28:02, Cindy Adair said:

This Dictyocaryum was planted from a four inch pot size in 2015.

DSCN4769.thumb.jpg.b2709b412504a9107ffef

DSCN4773.thumb.jpg.a52b744c867fbd6bfbf79

I chose more sun on the basis of PT recommendations and the fact that my other one in the ground longer grows very slowly. This was is a speed demon by comparison but Dean and Pete and others put mine to shame. I suspect they actually might water and fertilize theirs while mine just gets my admiration.

Here is the one planted tiny in 2010.

DSCN4781.thumb.jpg.5d2e335f4bb13f4561048

DSCN4780.thumb.jpg.9476d2e848d8882052b45

Some of you have asked to see the surroundings as well as each palm so I have tried to do so with this group.

DSCN4786.thumb.jpg.8c5fbec0e0f654f0a3b42

Stay tuned for more when I have data and time. Please add any of your photos of this tribe! Thanks.

I want 5 of this. Nice, Cindy.

Rio_Grande.gif

If I could I would have more too! 

7 hours ago, foxtail said:

I want 5 of this. Nice, Cindy.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

• 9 months later...