IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Clavija Dominguensis!!!

Scott Cohen

I am very excited to have a healthy crop of this extremely rare plant. It is native to Haiti and is known from only 2 mature trees in a botanical garden. A very attractive small tree with a large crown of cardboard hard 3ft long leaves and pendulous racemes of peach colored flowers. It is the largest of the genus (12-20ft), seldom branching and can tolerate full sun when mature. Those being grown in the ground at fairchild gardens have done very well. The plants available are in 1/4gallon containers, 4-5in tall and leaves ranging from 6-10in in length. $75ea

IMG_3089.PNG

IMG_3091.PNG

IMG_3092.PNG

IMG_3094.PNG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

Wow, those flowers are really nice, an added plus! This is a great tree and RARELY ever offered.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I'd imagine shipping is not available but WOW!!!! What a plant!!! These should be gone fast. 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

at this price its crazy not to buy one folks!!

Scott, I actually have one of your clavija I got through a fellow palm talker a while back and its doing awesome. I plan on taking it out of the green house this spring and giving it a shot.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I remember taking care of these plants, and there were a couple in the nursery, that was it. I don't remember there being seed at that time. 

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Wow! With that pendulous flowers makes it look like a cymbidium orchid tree. If you ship to CA, I would love to have 1 or 2.

Really great trees. Actually, Scott, Theophrasta and Clavija are quite closely-related.

I have three clavijas; one set up as big bonsai in Guat. Have one species growing here in SF (cf. lehmannii) which is a very handsome, cool-tolerant sp. from western Colombia known as Huevos de Gallo. All of them look more or less similar. IME, they will occasionally branch/offset from the soil line.

J

• Upvote 1

Cool stuff--Scott has a lot of cool stuff. BTW ya know that orbicularis I had growing in the ground, nicely? Caught my youngest aiming for it, when we got home from lunch one day--flash forward to today and I can tell you, if you ant them alive, don't pee on them! 

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the Input Stone Jaguar, I did not realize that :D. Any pictures of yours in San fran?

Andrew sorry to hear about your Orbic, mine is getting really big but not going near the ground. Btw are you ever going to pick up that Ficus Dammeropsis from me?

6 hours ago, Scott Cohen said:

Thanks for the Input Stone Jaguar, I did not realize that :D. Any pictures of yours in San fran?

Andrew sorry to hear about your Orbic, mine is getting really big but not going near the ground. Btw are you ever going to pick up that Ficus Dammeropsis from me?

Yes! Pls send me your number again--I need a little black book cuz my phone always seems to get erased...

On 11/15/2016, 8:10:34, stone jaguar said:

Really great trees. Actually, Scott, Theophrasta and Clavija are quite closely-related.

I have three clavijas; one set up as big bonsai in Guat. Have one species growing here in SF (cf. lehmannii) which is a very handsome, cool-tolerant sp. from western Colombia known as Huevos de Gallo. All of them look more or less similar. IME, they will occasionally branch/offset from the soil line.

J

The one from Columbia sounds interesting. My fear with my Clavija dominguensis I got from Scott last year is that they will not be cold tolerant enough to live in the ground here in SoCal.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Len:

This is basically a very "tropical" genus with most of the spp occurring in the Greater Choco bioregion, but there are some spp from premontane and lower montane wet forests. Mine as a sapling has certainly taken dips to the mid 40s (F) without the slightest evidence of stress, but I would be loathe to test it outside here (potentially into overnight dips to the high 20s F) until I get the lone offset established.

One of the sp I have growing in Guatemala from the lowlands of Esmeraldas Prov, Ecuador (pluvial tropica forest) shrugged off years of full exposure and night-time dips into the high 30s as a pot plant. Never any visible issues other than a growth shutdown in the winter.

• Upvote 2

On November 16, 2016 1:44:00 PM, stone jaguar said:

Len:

This is basically a very "tropical" genus with most of the spp occurring in the Greater Choco bioregion, but there are some spp from premontane and lower montane wet forests. Mine as a sapling has certainly taken dips to the mid 40s (F) without the slightest evidence of stress, but I would be loathe to test it outside here (potentially into overnight dips to the high 20s F) until I get the lone offset established.

One of the sp I have growing in Guatemala from the lowlands of Esmeraldas Prov, Ecuador (pluvial tropica forest) shrugged off years of full exposure and night-time dips into the high 30s as a pot plant. Never any visible issues other than a growth shutdown in the winter.

Stone I am hopeful that this plant will tolerate at least some cold. Many things from the islands seem to do pretty well at least into the low 30's…. With some notable exceptions :mellow:

What a cool tree. I love it.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 1 month later...

I've a species in this genus, the plants 1.5m tall and just chucked out its first raceme. It grows fine here with winter down to 2C and it's beautiful. 

I love this plant too. Len Geiger has been growing one for me which I will pick up in a couple months. I won't test mine outdoors, think I will just have it as an indoor plant in a nice pot by my window.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

• 5 years later...