IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

IMPORTANT MEETING IN SAN DIEGO - RHYNCHOPHORUS PALMARUM - SOUTH AMERICAN BLACK PALM WEEVIL

Cristóbal

3 hours ago, foxtail said:

Damn!!!! That's hard.

@Monòver if you know; which is the status of the Islas Canarias (habitat) P. Canariensis?

Islas Canarias are red weevil free.

The problem is other weevil, Diocalandra frumenti.

On 29/4/2017, 12:54:18, MattyB said:

I spoke with someone at the Dept. of Ag., and they said that they do not have any funding to do anything about the palm weevils.  She said that "industry" usually funds these sorts of things and with the ornamental palm industry it's not going to happen.  So, there you have it.  We're screwed.  These weevils are just going to spread unchecked.  Say goodbye to your palm gardens because once these things reach a critical mass they're just gonna kill everything.

Not exact this prediction. You may still use the misery of CIDP plants to your advantage. I know it sounds absurd but it is not! Make each one of the infested individuals to a deadly trap for those little devils. The plant may have a destroyed meristem but it is not dead in strict sense yet. Use endotherapy and let the palms absob in to vascular system the pesticide. A slow absorption can be counteracted through mixing imidacloprid with tetrahydrofurfuryl alcohol. The most disastrous thing it could happen right now is the removal of infested palm without previous treatment. This would set out multiple generations of hungry bugs, which will search for a new victim to nest. I am 100% sure, based on local experience, that most most promoting factor of the infection is the swift removal of infected plants.

12 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Just a little while ago I went to see a client in Bonita, CA. Nothing could have prepared me for the panoramic horrors driving up his street.

Worm-ridden CIDP's left and right. Ironically, the street is named Palm Dr.   Interestingly enough, I noticed Washingtonias, Dactyliferas, queens, kings etc. have not been affected. I hope this is good news for the soon-to-be established B. Alfredii palms in the region.

GmA, weak point of your expectations is the tidying up of all other palms you have mentioned before. The wounds from the annual trimming would attract many bugs.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2017, 2:54:18, MattyB said:

I spoke with someone at the Dept. of Ag., and they said that they do not have any funding to do anything about the palm weevils.  She said that "industry" usually funds these sorts of things and with the ornamental palm industry it's not going to happen.  So, there you have it.  We're screwed.  These weevils are just going to spread unchecked.  Say goodbye to your palm gardens because once these things reach a critical mass they're just gonna kill everything.

My wife just sent me a link to a video put out by the County of San Diego on Facebook.  Mark Hoddle from UCR and a Tracy Ellis from the County cut down an infected P canariensis somewhere in Chula Vista and talk about the weevils in this outreach educational video.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Thanks for posting this video.

Does anyone know what if any defenses we have to protect the plants?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2017, 10:27:50, Palm Tree Jim said:

Thanks for posting this video.

Does anyone know what if any defenses we have to protect the plants?

I think those palms need regular treatment using chemical based insecticides/pesticides,Here are some visuals of that work..

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 3 months later...

The Riviera in europe, the coastline of Italy and France with one the nicest collection of CIDP is in danger. Until 2010/2012, infested palms espacielly at the French Riviera are isolated cases. But now this pest is growing rapidly. Michel Ferry means at Propalme83.com that in the region up to 15’000 palms are infested. http://propalmes83.com/index.php/2-non-categorisee/102-billet-scientifique-et-bibliographie-de-michel-ferry

Two more trees in my neighborhood have died now.  That brings a total of 4 just in my neighborhood.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

2 hours ago, MattyB said:

Two more trees in my neighborhood have died now.  That brings a total of 4 just in my neighborhood.

dang dude!

That's nutts!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 3 months later...

Looks like another one is about to bite it...

This one is on Rosecrans Ave. in San Diego

Here is the streetmap view April 2017

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7319965,-117.2230462,3a,75y,29.56h,85.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sovc-rlAI2ZFziBEmVikMiQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Here are today's pictures
20180219_110649.jpg
20180219_110653.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 1 year later...

i saw 2 dead and 1 CIDP with a collapsed crown in downtown SD this morning. all within a few blocks of each other around 25th and Broadway. Shame, these are (were) well around 100 years old. 

20190706_130315.thumb.jpg.9098c847c8452cbaa485b8b3f4c5f19e.jpg

Screenshot of the same palm from Google street view

Screenshot_20190706-235228_Maps.thumb.jpg.6fb201df579a808987ab81d84ba39fcd.jpg