IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lane Sharing for Motorcycles

DoomsDave

Responses to another post inspired this one.

Lane sharing, aka lane splitting, white-lining, etc., is legal in California, alone among the U.S. States. Which can lead to some hair raising mishaps, particularly relating to those unfamiliar with Tierra d'La La. (We should have signs saying as much at all the borders. Seriously. Literacy is nice . . . )

It's legal in many countries, though.

Lane sharing is where the motorcyclist rides along the white line between lanes which also have cars in them.

So, tell us your stories, if you do it, or fear others doing it.

Here's a picture in California to illustrate, from Wikipedia.

post-208-0-85651900-1424716809_thumb.jpg

Here's a link to a pic from Thailand. (They're getting stubborn on the Big Wiki.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_splitting#mediaviewer/File:Motorcyclists_lane_splitting_in_Bangkok,_Thailand.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'm not against the practice but they often startle other drivers.

I am assuming that the car would have the right away if an accident were to occur?

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Its everyday practice here, everyone is used to it. I don't think its legal by law but its not treated as illegal either. The same rights as with cars apply. It would be your fault if you hit a motorcycle with your car's side while changing lanes because the motorcycle wouldn't be changing lanes. But it would be the bikes fault if it fell on you from behind. We especially care for the motorcycles as they are the ones most exposed in case of accident. No problems with line sharing from me, as long as everyones keeps to decency and logic :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

I'm not against the practice but they often startle other drivers.

I am assuming that the car would have the right away if an accident were to occur?

Good question.

Though, the cyclist almost always loses in a mishap with a car. I try to yield to cyclists for my love of humanity . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's a Darwin award candidate in Brazil. Action starts at 0:42

If that's a helmet cam, at least that rider's being careful enough to look where he's going. (Some don't. :rant: )

Still going way WAY too fast. :bemused: :bemused: :bemused: Confidence is one thing, suicidal stupidity is another.

That said, I've been amazed at times at how fast a "super bike" can brake to a stop, but only if the rider does it soon enough. :interesting:

IN Florida you must agree to be an organ donor to ride a motorcycle. This State is on to something.... :rant:

Bet that brazilian dude's brain would be a trip to hook up to once in a while. :bemused:

Does anybody want to provide a translated transcript of the Brazilian rider's commentary? Apart from riding like a lunatic,the guy never once stops talking!

They just introduced lane 'filtering' laws in Queensland to allow motorcyclists to ride down the white line and on the shoulder, but only when traffic is stationary or moving very slowly. They are not allowed to exceed 30 km/h when doing so. Interesting to see what he outcome of this is...they have been doing it for years, but now it is legal.

I don't have too much of an issue with it, but have to say I almost had a heart attack one day when a guy on a straight piped Harley came past at full throttle and maybe 100km/h whilst I was stationary in traffic with my window down... :)

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Does anybody want to provide a translated transcript of the Brazilian rider's commentary? Apart from riding like a lunatic,the guy never once stops talking!

They just introduced lane 'filtering' laws in Queensland to allow motorcyclists to ride down the white line and on the shoulder, but only when traffic is stationary or moving very slowly. They are not allowed to exceed 30 km/h when doing so. Interesting to see what he outcome of this is...they have been doing it for years, but now it is legal.

I don't have too much of an issue with it, but have to say I almost had a heart attack one day when a guy on a straight piped Harley came past at full throttle and maybe 100km/h whilst I was stationary in traffic with my window down... :)

I am thinking he was doing more than just one kind of speed.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

One thing that I've never seen is people opening doors on the freeway and bikes hitting them.

How often do you open your car door on the freeway? And if you do, how often do you do it far enough for a motorcycle to hit it?

(I looked, but didn't find any YouTube vids with motorcyles and suicide doors. Thank god!)

Is this not legal in Florida? Its the standard in Miami...

Lots of fresh organs at Ryder/Jackson if you need a transplant!

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Only time I see open doors is when (and I'd love to rear-end 'em when they're doing it) some dude is hockin' a big loog.

I've seen women do it, too . . . . :sick::rant:

• 2 months later...

Some Athenian lane sharing

post-2020-0-94466500-1431539800_thumb.jp

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''