IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

BEAUTIFUL MONSTER....

trioderob

Yes plenty of saddlebacks here. They love the fronds on my Dypsis lutscens. I get stung by them often. using tape to remove the stingers helps some.

There was 10 on an indoor palm we have. They were discovered when my brother got stung walking by it.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Very beautiful! But I bet somewhat destructive to plants....

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Really like the fluorescently colored markings! We have a pretty one here too but without the bristles and with leaner body mass. Less dramatic but I have never seen it damage palm leafs,only see it on weeds.

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Some spiny caterpillars can be really nasty. Some have venom like a cobras or "sea wasp", a highly potent neurotoxin.

Saddlebacks are far from being the worst. Not likely to be smuggled in shorts, however.

DON'T take a cavalier attitude about critters like that, especially in the tropics. Some are deadly, even if you're not allergic.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

What does the adult look like? Too lazy to look it up :)

INDOOR palm? Was the palm recently brought inside, or did the adults come in and seek it out?

Yep - don't take these things lightly - They go to great measures to stay alive :)

They love the bottoms of coconut fronds, as you walk by the frond and those hairs touch you your skin lights on fire, or it feels that way. I chop them in half with some pruners.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A