IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jurassic Spear

Pedro 65

Thanks Candice, ( our French Au pair) for giving some scale to the thick Jurassic spear. :) Pete

post-5709-0-85396900-1399518485_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-48685000-1399518543_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-73960600-1399518604_thumb.jp

Very nice!

And so is the palm!

;p

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Thanks Jeff,

Dooms Dave had the same reply when Laila posed with the new leaf opening . ( below pic)

Heres a few young Dypsis that look very Jurassic ( Oreo) , all V similar and a little different, esp in spear colour.

Pete :)

post-5709-0-65855200-1399524657_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-36449500-1399524745_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-17468800-1399524822_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-80574600-1399524882_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-56441000-1399524889_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Pete,

Thank you for posting new pictures, I wish I can see more pics of your garden again, thought I know I can visit your content and enjoy older posts.

Will you post soon again?

Many thanks

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Pete,

Thank you for posting new pictures, I wish I can see more pics of your garden again, thought I know I can visit your content and enjoy older posts.

Many thanks

Philippe

Your welcome Philippe, thanks for your comment.

Re posting again. In Feb I made a late news yrs resolution of "To Rarely Turn On The Computer" and I must say I feel "Very Free", I want to stay living like this in our Alternative Hippy Hills in Far Nth NSW but Yes I will post now and again.

All best Pete :)

• Upvote 1

Great palms Pete, thanks for posting those pics!

I agree that your pics have been missed here on pt.

Are those dark mealy's in ground yet?

Cheers mate

Ben

Very beautiful palms Pedro,thank you very much for sharing those photos with us! :) Your huge Dypsis are amazing!!! :drool:

I see you have bricks/building blocks at the base of one of your Dypsis. Why is that/have you found it helps somewhere? You sure know how to grow them to have such huge specimen! :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Amazing spear pics Pedro, I exercise my freedom by sharing Palm activities via internet but I've also stepped away for extended periods.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Awesome Pete!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Awesome, I have 2 small ones I can only hope get like that some day.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Beautiful palms and garden, please post more often.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Peter good to hear from you, I see you are still surrounded by beautiful palms and beautiful women. Life is good :)

Pete,

Many thanks

Philippe

Your welcome Philippe, thanks for your comment.

Re posting again. In Feb I made a late news yrs resolution of "To Rarely Turn On The Computer" and I must say I feel "Very Free", I want to stay living like this in our Alternative Hippy Hills in Far Nth NSW but Yes I will post now and again.

All best Pete :)

Pete,

I understand you very well.

Since I am not living always close to palms in Doranakanda garden but in the cold Switzerland, I am quite frustrated most of the time;

It's why I enjoy watching your pics or some other tropical gardens on Palmtalk.

You can stay with computer "off" for a while, we all can see your earlier posts, but thanks if you reappear soon on Palmtalk.

Like other friends say: please post more often. :)

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Great to see you back on Pt Pete, the place ain't the same without you, I see nothings changed great looking woman, I mean palms :hmm: Ah seriously always look forward to your posts mate

Here's one of my young "Jurassic Park" Dypsis in full sun in east Hawaii. No shade at all, but full sun in east Hawaii Island is over 50 to 80 percent clouds and rain. Orange 5-gal bucket for scale. Like many big Dypsis, it started all twisty and curvy, laying those big leaves on the ground, but now it is beginning to straighten out. Its growth in a year has been striking. Look at the size of those petioles!

post-279-0-90423200-1399678904_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

You can see why this is now thought to be oropedionis Mike, such variation is staggering!

Curious who thought that? The two palms I have been growing as such look nothing the same. They don't even grow the same. There must have been a few different palms collected as Jurassic Park. The one grew came from the tropical rainforest and proved to be very difficult. Oropedionis is a breeze.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

You can see why this is now thought to be oropedionis Mike, such variation is staggering!

Curious who thought that? The two palms I have been growing as such look nothing the same. They don't even grow the same. There must have been a few different palms collected as Jurassic Park. The one grew came from the tropical rainforest and proved to be very difficult. Oropedionis is a breeze.

Hi Len,

A while back I think Jurassic Park was meant to be tokoravina so goodness knows... But anyway, here's the link

http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/pix/DypPar.shtml

I think Pete was inferring they are one and the same too.

cheers

Rich

Edited by richnorm

Hi Len,

A while back I think Jurassic Park was meant to be tokoravina so goodness knows... But anyway, here's the link

cheers

Rich

Thanks for the link. I don't think they look or grow anything alike. Even the seed doesn't match. Mine came from a crazy palm collector in FL. He got his from Australia that said the seed collectors told him it came from the tropical North. No clue if this is true or not but mine seemed to grow like it. Hated the sun and was slow growing.

Seems crazy these palms can't be id'ed since they are flowering. So many of Jeff's palms need IDs but seems no one has the time to go do the work.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Pete,

Always great to see photos of your spectacular garden, and of course especially when Dypsis palms are featured! :)

Bo-Goran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Hi Len,

cheers

Rich

Thanks for the link. I don't think they look or grow anything alike. Even the seed doesn't match. Mine came from a crazy palm collector in FL. He got his from Australia that said the seed collectors told him it came from the tropical North. No clue if this is true or not but mine seemed to grow like it. Hated the sun and was slow growing.

Seems crazy these palms can't be id'ed since they are flowering. So many of Jeff's palms need IDs but seems no one has the time to go do the work.

Perhaps more than one sp got called Jurassic Park... Mike's above sure looks like what others are growing as oropedionis. Would be interesting to know the origen of that plant. Pete's is very similar to some photos taken in habitat by Olivier which were ID'd by the Kew Project as oropedionis. Seems they really stretch in shade. Maybe the seed differences are not so important as the original description was based on limited material...

I got my two plants from Bo at his clearance sale. I suspect that they originally came from Jeff Marcus, but he would have to confirm this.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Hi Len,

cheers

Rich

Perhaps more than one sp got called Jurassic Park... Mike's above sure looks like what others are growing as oropedionis. Would be interesting to know the origen of that plant. Pete's is very similar to some photos taken in habitat by Olivier which were ID'd by the Kew Project as oropedionis. Seems they really stretch in shade. Maybe the seed differences are not so important as the original description was based on limited material...
I agree Mikes sure does. Pretty plant!

Now let's figure out " Mony Mony" :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

great pictures Pete

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Thanks everyone for the comments and interest of this Dypsis which seems variable in size and colour not only of the new spear but the leaf colour as well which varies from the "darkest" green to some with lime green leaves, and this 1 with the red petiole has a mix of dark and light green. In the shade, these are very very slow, full sun they grow at a very good speed.

Added pic is Candice giving scale to "touted' Canaliculata which could well be Tokoravina? There is flowering "massive' ( 8mtrs of trunk) specimens in FNQ, ( flower but havnt yet set seed) this is a "very fast" Giant Dypsis.

Pete :)

post-5709-0-64666000-1399877756_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-01282000-1399877828_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-18225600-1399877885_thumb.jp

Exceptional Pete, you seem to have found a very nice comparable niche to Madagascar areas, right there at the cauldera.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Pete, thanks for the wonderful photos, they've been added to you collection in Palmpedia, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic!

I miss you and your palms and your Ranch Hands Pete!... :crying:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!