IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is my Queen Palm sick?

Panda

We live in Houston Texas and have had this queen palm for about 10 years. This year, we have had a few below 0 temp nights. On the trunk of the palm (not the very bottom but about 2 feet up), we noticed that there is an area that is very brittle - almost like a bird pecked on the trunk. We are not sure what this is or if it needs to be treated. Lawn guy picked at it and pieces will just fall off but he didn't know what it was.

I've attached a pic. All the leaves are green - none are yellow. The top looks very healthy. I've been doing a bit of research online and all the illnesses say that the leaves turn yellow but ours is a healthy green color.

Hoping someone here knows if this is something we should be worried about.

post-9795-0-25710700-1393864626_thumb.jp

I don't know, but have seen other's photos here with palm trunk damage so hopefully someone will see your photo and have an educated guess. The damage we had to our mule trunk is different than your tree's.

If I had to venture a guess from what you posted, it would be that the freezing temps affected the flow within the trunk and caused contraction and expansion and started to split the bark. Did you see any sap streaking down on the outside at all? I did notice what looked like a few holes though in the damaged area. That made me think woodpeckers or some wood borers. Any close ups of those areas?

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

We had 0 temps for a few nights (probably around 4-5) this past winter in the January-February timeframe. But it wasn't really extended since we are in Houston.

There is no sap. At first, I thought it was a woodpecker!

I will post more close up picks.

In my experience queens are pretty much toast below 20F. Are you saying you hit 0F?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

OK, that's very different. Queens laugh at 32F. I don't have the expertise to tell you what's wrong with yours. Do you see signs of insects boring into the trunk - sawdust, grubs, oozing?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Woodpecker + subsequent insect damage or rot......just a guess......looks bad. It also looks (from the picture) like it may have started with woodpecker holes.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

We live in Houston Texas and have had this queen palm for about 10 years. This year, we have had a few below 0 temp nights. On the trunk of the palm (not the very bottom but about 2 feet up), we noticed that there is an area that is very brittle - almost like a bird pecked on the trunk. We are not sure what this is or if it needs to be treated. Lawn guy picked at it and pieces will just fall off but he didn't know what it was.

I've attached a pic. All the leaves are green - none are yellow. The top looks very healthy. I've been doing a bit of research online and all the illnesses say that the leaves turn yellow but ours is a healthy green color.

Hoping someone here knows if this is something we should be worried about.

attachicon.gifIMG_0606.JPG

Has any tree trimmer ever climbed this palm with spikes on his boots? That could start this process after damage to trunk progresses to tissue death and subsequent decay and flaking off. Queens are very hardy though and I doubt yours is in any danger of decline.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

No one has climbed with spikes. A ladder is always used to trim the palm.

Our lawn guy started taking pieces of it that's why it looks so bad. He thought it was termites which freaked us out. It wasn't that bad initially - just like a woodpecker pecked on it.

No cutting it down! :mrlooney:

We did fertilize it on Saturday. Does anyone thing Liquid Copper Fungicide will help?

I have seen damage like this on queens before. It looks like cold damage to me, and the damage on the trees I've seen showed up several years AFTER a big freeze. How big is your queen?

Think back, has it been through any severe freezes in the years you've had it?

I think it's cold damage that happened long ago that is just now starting to show up. Your tree is still alive, it's not in decline, it just looks bad. Plant a vine like a passion flower to grow up the trunk and cover it up if you want to.

Looking at weather.com, it looks like some of your record lows have gotten pretty low- in the single digits F.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Queens definitely aren't hardy down to 0F. How long ago did you see those temps?

I think he means 0C ( celsius ), not 0F ( fahrenheit ). :winkie:

I would say the palm is about 15-18 feet tall. We never got into the single digits. The lowest was probably 32 F for a handful of nights. But we do have a lot of neighbors with palm trees. In fact, we also have Fan Palm, Pineapple Palm, Pygmy Palm, Sago Palm. This is 1 of 4 of our palm trees. Hopefully she is ok.

Something like that would typically lead to long term damage to the palm.

How often do you water? What kind of soil do you have?

Brevard County, Fl

Not sure what soil. We haven't watered as much being it is winter. It has been about one time a week. It's been pretty manual since if it rains, we won't turn on the sprinkler.

I'll post more pics of the entire tree and closer shots of the area. Had to travel for work this week.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the bump, but I'm also in the Houston area (Friendswood) and am having the same issue with one of my queens. I'll post pics.

Hope it's not a goner! Any advice would be appreciated!!

It's a mature palm also, est about 30 FT. Worried about structural integrity if (when, rather) we have another hurricane.

Also, crown looks beautiful. No issues there

post-10099-0-16240200-1398827922_thumb.j

Edited by Nursebmf

I would have to replace that or plant another palm right next to it to hide the damage on the trunk, it would drive me nuttier to look at that.

Just my opinion, but I would take it down (the tree with a hole in it). Strong winds may break that tree and blow it over, damaging property or worse. Queens grow so fast that it's not worth the risk.

Incidentally, just a few hours ago today a strong wind gust blew down a large queen at my rental property - it missed the tenant's car by a foot and the roofline by 2 feet. I got really lucky. This was a nice, healthy tree, but apparently roots gave way (as I had planted it a few inches too high about 7 years ago).

• 1 year later...

This is a follow up to the previous thread " Palm Trunk Erosion" As you can see numerous people in the area had freeze Damage show up later. People forgot how cold it was during those 2 or 3 events. It was a combination many hours of 18-23F, fierce winds and one day that failed to go above 32 with freezing precip all the way down the coast. That caused the outer layers of tissue to freeze and eventually rot, And depending how bad it is they do snap. I had it happen to one of mine in a thunderstorm. Also, I just recalled, there was a very tall Robusta at the College Station Taco Cabana drive through that snapped the following year or 2.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

27 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

This is a follow up to the previous thread " Palm Trunk Erosion" As you can see numerous people in the area had freeze Damage show up later. People forgot how cold it was during those 2 or 3 events. It was a combination many hours of 18-23F, fierce winds and one day that failed to go above 32 with freezing precip all the way down the coast. That caused the outer layers of tissue to freeze and eventually rot, And depending how bad it is they do snap. I had it happen to one of mine in a thunderstorm. Also, I just recalled, there was a very tall Robusta at the College Station Taco Cabana drive through that snapped the following year or 2.

Exactly.  Agreed 100%

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.