IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 16th Annual Spring Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza! -●●●- March 7th, 8th, 9th - 14th, 15th, 16th 2014 -●●- S. Florida

Palmarum

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. &

The Rainforest Collection ®

presents...

The 16th Annual Spring Plant Extravaganza!

March 7th, 8th, 9th,

14th, 15th, & 16th

As the chill in the air decreases and the mornings warm up, the desire to green up one's own jungle is a powerful force not to be easily dismissed. The steady increase in plant growth that follows the rise in average temperature is a sign that new leaf spears, leaf flushes and bloom spikes are not far behind. Spring time at the Extravaganza is one of the first opportunities to both enjoy this natural action and take part in it. The plethora of material presented at the upcoming sale will certainly tickle the senses and capture the collector's gaze. With the IPS Biennial coming to South Florida and the Nursery later in the spring, the nursery has increased plant production and redesigned and added landscape features. This is a prelude to the 'Ganza and the Biennial to have plants, both in the ground and in containers, to be at their peak. I am sure the sidewalks and sales areas during the 'Ganza will be filled with Biennial conversations as the event will occur only two months prior to the Biennial.

An added note in reference to the schedule, the upcoming Spring Extravaganza will take place on the second and third 3-day weekends of March. This is due to the first weekend straddling both February and March.

The spring and fall Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganzas have become a great way for IPS Members, Palmtalk Forum Members and fellow tropical palm & plant enthusiasts to come together and meet in the South Florida area. The events have always been a great way to spend a weekend in the company of those who share your passion for gardening and collecting tropical ornamental plants. To describe the events as just mere plant sales would be an understatement; as they have become much more in the form of social events for our friends and family. Forum members, friends and fellow plant collectors have all come from far and wide to attend and we are continuously surprised in the distances they will cover to share in the event. In regards to the following details, I have tried to include as much information about the upcoming Spring 'Ganza as I can. If you see something that you need to know that is missing and should be added, please post the idea(s) here or contact me, Jeff Searle or the nursery with the methods listed below and let us know...

South Florida Location:

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc.

6640 SW 172nd Avenue

Southwest Ranches, Florida 33331

Western Broward County

*see Map below...

Spring 2014 Schedule:

Friday, March 7th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Saturday, March 8th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Sunday, March 9th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

also the following weekend...

Friday, March 14th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Saturday, March 15th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Sunday, March 16th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

Barbecue Lunch:

Our Famous Weekend Free BBQ Lunch

First Weekend: (Saturday 11:00AM - 2:00PM) & (Sunday, 11:00AM - 2:00PM)

Contact List:

Nursery Office #: (954) 434-7681

Nursery Fax #: (954) 680-2750

Nursery Website: http://www.rainforestcollection.com/

Nursery Email: Searlebrothersnursery@yahoo.com

Jeff Searle #: (954) 658-4317 Email:palms@rainforestcollection.com
Private Message Jeff Searle: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?app=members&module=list&module=messaging&section=send&do=form&fromMemberID=23

Ryan (Palmarum) Email:palmthetree@yahoo.com

Directions:

Following the link below will show you a general street map of western Broward County, Florida showing the location of the nursery (Palm tree symbol). Using Sheridan Street would be the best option to get to the nursery if you are heading west through the county. If you are taking the Florida Turnpike, use the Griffin Road exit from the north, or the Pines Blvd. exit from the south. If you need any additional directions, please contact the nursery, Jeff or I (Ryan). When you get close to the nursery, look for large power lines as they run east and west above the nursery. Parking is along the shoulder of 172nd Avenue in front of, and down the street from, the nursery entrance. If you intend to arrive early before sunrise (and many usually do) be wary of hard-to-see speed bumps along 172nd Avenue and there is a possibility of a speed trap as well.

Map Link: http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n270/Palmerum/scan0004.jpg

Plant Availability, Photo Requests:

For plant availability including a copy of the ever-growing list of palms, cycads and other information regarding which plants and species will be for sale, please contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or I (Ryan). The plant selection process has already begun and will continue right up to the last day before the Extravaganza, (sometimes even on the mornings of the event if the need applies.) The sale lists for palms, cycads and crotons will be made available as soon as they are completed. Special selections might be pulled for sale as requests, but only if the plants are available. There will be certain species, varieties and cultivars that will only be available in limited quantities. These rarer plants will likely sell out quickly in the morning hours, so be sure to arrange your wish list accordingly. Plant groups may have been moved around the sales area, relocated, or added in with others. In order to speed your way to your favorite plants please ask a nearby volunteer as to their location.

Like with previous events, I will be able to provide preview photos of the actual plants for sale. They will be posted in this topic for those who are interested. Send me a message or an email with the names of the plants you would like to see, including members of specific groups or genera. Sale booklets or sale lists will be made available at the Extravaganza. They will include the list of palms, cycads and crotons for sale. Holders located at both entrances to the main shade house will have the booklets on display along with other important information. As soon as I have a basic list of species and varieties for sale, I will be able to email or PM it to anyone who would want a copy. Each plant will be priced with either a lavender tag or will have the price written on the pot.

Featured Plant Groups:

The plant selection at the Extravaganza is constantly growing and changing. The largest and most diverse group is by far the Palms, of which there will be over 300 species available in various different sizes. A surprisingly large amount of Crotons will also be on display as their demand has increased production to new levels.

Palms:

Aroids:

Bamboo:

Bromeliads:

Cycads:

Crotons:

Cordylines:

Ferns:

Heliconias and Gingers:

Orchids:

Tropical Flowering Trees and Shrubs:

Landscape Ornamentals:

Rare and Hard-to-find Exotics:

and more: There is always a chance a new & exotic species of tropical plant will make its way into the sales area.

The Sale Flyer:

The nursery will soon mail out sale flyers to everyone on our mailing list. If you are on the mailing list and do not receive one, please let Jeff or myself know. In addition, if you would like to be placed on the mailing list for future Extravaganza flyers, please send a message to me with your address.

Plant Carts:

We do provide a limited amount of carts for customers to use, but it is recommended that you bring your own plant shopping conveyance. The carts do go quickly in the morning of each day, soon after the gates open and customers make their way to the sales area. During the day when they are returned from the holding area or the parking lot, they are placed back on the concrete pad across from the register area.

Accommodations:

A comfortable Hampton Inn is located within a short driving distance of the nursery. It has been used by our customers, volunteers and family members in the past who travel a long way to reach the 'Ganza and who require a comfortable place to stay. The Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines/Ft. Lauderdale West is located at the intersection of I-75 and Sheridan Street. (see map above...) If you like to inquire about the hotel, follow the link below:

Link: http://www.hamptoninnpembrokepines.com/

Previous Extravaganza:

For a look back at the previous Extravaganza that took place in October of last year, follow the link below. It has a selection of posts and photos highlighting the key moments of the sale. The topic will also showcase many of the plants that may be available in March, as the selection changes from Fall to Spring.

The 15th Annual Fall 'Ganza

Link: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/39054-palms-tropical-plants-galore-the-15th-annual-fall-ganza-in-its-entirety/

Information and Invitation:

If you need any more details regarding plants, directions, or anything that I have not included above, feel free to contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or myself by the methods mentioned above. Feel free to post any messages, questions, etc. in this topic. Jeff Searle, I and all the family members and volunteers look forward to meeting everyone including new and familiar Palmtalk Forum members and IPS members at the upcoming Extravaganza. Be sure to find one of us and introduce yourself. You will be sure to find other Forum members at the event as well, possibly walking right past you down an aisle or grabbing for the same plant. The entire Searle family and the masses of volunteers will be waiting to help you find that perfect plant.

We hope to see you there! :)

Ryan

South Florida

Looking very much forward to my 2nd Spring Extravaganza experience, my 4th overall. I'm eagerly awaiting the availability list to see what I can possibly scoop up for palms & crotons!

.... I'm eagerly awaiting the availability list to see what I can possibly scoop up for palms & crotons!

The lists for both Palms and Crotons are being compiled at the nursery and they are ahead of schedule. As soon as I get the finished draft checklists from Jeff I will process them into my draft versions. I will send them off to those who have already asked for copies via email, PM, etc. From what I have seen so far, there will be a great selection for a Spring Sale including unusual Palm species and some surprises for the Croton collectors. I will try to get some early photos of the sales area as the plants become marshaled.

Ryan

South Florida

The list of palms is 99% complete, but a few more will likely be added. I didn't get a final count, but I suspect there will be somewhere around 250-275 species being offered. Lots of tropical goodies will be well represented from the genus, Calyptrocalx, Licuala, Hydriastele, and Dypsis, just to mention a few. Ryan will be posting the list very shortly.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I logged on today just to look for this. See you in a few weeks.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

- Views and previews from the nursery, taken today. The first day all week it had been cloudy but no rain, hence the recent use of the hose. The main shadehouse is one of the first sections to be primed and loaded for the 'Ganza. At this juncture, it's at the halfway point of being filled with plants from around the nursery.

DSC_0003.jpg

- The sidewalk gets filled over time during the set-up as groups get hauled in via trailers.

DSC_0006.jpg

- New palm groups are getting their own locations, some familiar ones are in their traditional spots.

DSC_0008.jpg

- Pelagodoxa henryana - 10 gal. $450.00 - Fun with flash. Before the sidewalk gets crowded, its easier to pose individual plants for photos.

DSC_0009.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Walking through the shadehouse... about halfway towards the intersection from the entrance... The larger sized specimens set the locations for many of the groups so they are placed first. It is then faster to move and place the smaller size groups knowing where they go.

DSC_0010.jpg

- Tables, tables and more tables.

DSC_0012.jpg

- We are testing new placement ideas for the tables to make the best use of the limited space along the sidewalk.

DSC_0013.jpg

- Looking back towards the entrance from the intersection...

DSC_0014.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- A view down the sidewalk from the intersection towards the far end...

DSC_0017.jpg

- ... at the far end looking back...

DSC_0018.jpg

- ...walking back and forth, searching out subjects for photo requests...

DSC_0019.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- Licuala sp. 'Yal-Braal' - 7 gal. $ 135.00 - A small Licuala that has yet to receive an epithet but lives on in cultivation through its locality name.

DSC_0020.jpg

- An easy to grow palm that enjoys flowering at small sizes.

DSC_0021.jpg

- Metroxylon vitiense - 10 gal. $200.00 - Catching up to the shade cloth above.

DSC_0022.jpg

- Move with caution.

DSC_0023.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- Drymophloeus sp. 'Patipi' - 7 gal. $75.00 - Still in the genus Drymophloeus at the moment. Might end up elsewhere in the near future, perhaps in Hydriastele.

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- Dypsis pusilla - 10 gal. $135.00 - The Dypsis enthusiasts are out in force...

DSC_0027.jpg

- Fibrous leaf bases...

DSC_0028.jpg

- New leaf color, a tad faded.

DSC_0029.jpg

- Dypsis canaliculata - 7 gal. $300.00

DSC_0030.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Cyrtostachys sp. 'Hybrid' - 20 gal. $1,200.00 - 7 gal. $250.00 - A palm whose popularity continues to rise.

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

This is the last batch of photos for today, more to come as the sale date approaches. I have the first written drafts of the Palm and Croton lists and I am processing them now. When they are completed to their first digital draft versions I shall send them off to those who wanted a copy and post them over at Palmpedia (Tropiscape).

- Dypsis sp. 'Pink Crownshaft' - 1 gal. $20.00

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

- Beccariophoenix alfredii - 1 gal. $12.00

DSC_0040.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

I have posted the first draft of the Croton list over at Palmpedia (Tropiscape) for those who are interested and I will send out copies to those who wanted one. The list can and will probably change, as many know. If I know about additions to the list I will post them in the same topic. The Palm and Cycad list is still being processed and will be posted in the same manner.

Palmpedia member (annafl) had already started an Extravaganza topic, so I added the list to that one:

- Searle sale extravaganza coming up -

Link: http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/showthread.php?4158-Searle-sale-extravaganza-coming-up

Ryan

South Florida

The first draft of the Palm and Cycad list has now been posted over at Palmpedia (Tropiscape) in the same topic as the Croton list mentioned above. Scroll down past the Croton list to see the Palm and Cycad list. There are some new species and some unusual stuff. Feel free to PM or post any questions about the lists here, including any new photo requests. The list is still a draft as more species will most likely be pulled between now and next weekend.

- Searle sale extravaganza coming up -

Link: http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/showthread.php?4158-Searle-sale-extravaganza-coming-up

Ryan

South Florida

Set up continues as planned. We had some great weather out at the nursery today. The shade house fills out more and more as plants get positioned along the sidewalk. Here are some of the photo requests...

- Neoveitchia storckii - 10 gal $200.00

DSC_0042.jpg

- A close-up view of the 10 gallon's leaf bases.

DSC_0043.jpg

- Neoveitchia storckii - 7 gal. $100.00

DSC_0044.jpg

- Same plant as above, turned a few degrees...

DSC_0046.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Clinostigma savoryanum - 7 gal. $85.00

DSC_0048.jpg

- Clinostigma ponapense - 10 gal. $175.00 - An easy to spot pair of palms, as they are the tallest ones in the section. They are close to touching the shade cloth 15 ft (4.5m) above.

DSC_0050.jpg

- The crown of one of them.

DSC_0051.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- Crotons... The Croton section was completed today. I am sure some of the plants will be reorganized. Some hidden, others moved around.

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

- The landscape plant section, getting watered.

DSC_0056.jpg

- The sections are getting filled up. The Bromeliad section on the right is usually one of the last to get done.

DSC_0057.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

What about licualas? Any new species this year?

What about licualas? Any new species this year?

The genus Licuala will be well represented this coming Spring Extravaganza. Currently there are 26 different Licuala species, varieties and (sp.'s) out for sale along the sidewalk and on the tables. Check the list posted at the link above for more details. Trying to designate what is considered a "new" species is tricky. There are some species I had to add to the main list for the first time and then there are others that have not been available in a long time. Licuala ferruginea and L. glabra var. selangorensis have been in the 'Ganza before, but it has been a while. Two I had to add to the list were the Metallic Licuala, L. khoonmengii and the entire leaf bearing L. sallehana. It is a large group of plants but I will try to get some photos posted of them.

Ryan

South Florida

Tom,

I know how much you like your Licualas, just like me. I am constantly trying to grow as many species that I can find within the genus. A few of my favorites that are available will be L. paludosa, L. peltata Sumawongii, L. mapu and L. sallahana. But there are just so many that have proven to make good landscape plants. Hope to see you and the family come down.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Its surprising how many of the Licualas are bullet proof here is Florida. Even as far north as I am.

Nice plants..nice folks. Jeff's plant sales often a better meeting place than Palm society event. Got two replacement Reinhartias for one attached by maybe spider mites ? And was undetected. I thought I was running outta things to buy but Jeff and Ryan always helpful. Good to see some of the outtatowners...Anna & her husband..Ray..Tom..Judy and Jim,,who is on the mend doing very well tho impatient. Tuesday I'll review my purchases with Greg n DeDe....and be back next weekend for more fun n games.

PS..Andreas' banana cake is NOT on my diet...and very good

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Wow! What a fun weekend. Like Mike stated, it was really nice to see so many out of towners drop by. From Orlando to the north, to Arizona to the faaaaar west and as far south as Key West, that was amazing! We had beautiful weather all 3 days and things ran very smoothly. I really do have some great family members and especially the friends that come down to help out with all the work. YOU all really do make a difference! Thanks! And a bigger thanks for all of you that dropped by to visit us. I hope you found what you were looking for and appreciate that, sincerely.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, as usual, I had a blast at your event. It is always terrific to see so many plant enthusiasts in one place, sharing info and experience, asking questions, and watching people take home great plant material that they will hopefully enjoy for years to come. The spring and fall extravaganzas are two of my most anticipated events to attend each year and to be a part of. Thanks to the whole Searle family for keeping it going for all of these years, and look forward to many, many more!

It was a great first weekend. The palm and plant selection was thinned out quite a bit but a few groups will probably be restocked. If you are looking for something specific, you can PM me a message or email and I will be able to tell you if it's still available. I am sure Jeff could be thinking of something surprising to pull for the second weekend, something not on the list that even I don't know about. As of late Sunday afternoon there were some big spaces along the sidewalk.

Ryan

South Florida

I had a great time at the sale today, it was cool to meet Jeff and Ryan, they were both so helpful! I got to shop for palms and talk to Jeff about all sorts of stuff.

The palm selection was incredible, and even my mom who's not into palms at all found a couple things she liked! Thanks again guys, I hope to be back soon

The second weekend saw more activity than I had expected, especially on Sunday. The weather was again flawless. I am going through my photos and uploading them. Getting them sync.'d together with the videos is taking some time along with editing and uploading them, but it is coming along. When I get enough set to start the review topic, I will start that one over in Discussing Palms as usual.

Ryan

South Florida