IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis sp. Maroantsetra in So Cal

schatzle78

Although some may argue it is too early to tell, despite its name indicating its possible northern Madagascar region of origin, this species has given me some cause for optimism here is Southern California. Although obviously in the D. pinnatifrons complex, this seems to be a much better grower for me than similar palms such as D. sambiranensis ('Pink Crownshaft').

This particular palm has been in the ground for a full 2 years, and despite our very cold winter last year, is still holding a full 10 leaves! While the original Hawaiian leaves are now a bit tattered, the newest growth barely has a blemish. I would estimate an average of 3-4 new leaves a year.

While not impressive by Hawaiian standards, I just love the tropical look, including that elusive leaf shine, that we rarely get in Southern California.

These pictures from my phone don't do it justice, but here goes...

Currently standing about 4 feet tall.

post-3949-0-08913500-1377562667_thumb.jp

Beautiful red new leaf.

post-3949-0-71576500-1377562727_thumb.jp

After opening, the leaf carries a maroon, almost blue hue.

post-3949-0-25532500-1377562784_thumb.jp

And some nice tomentum on the crownshaft.

post-3949-0-19148000-1377562827_thumb.jp

Anyone else growing this with success? I know there has to be some Hawaiian beauties out there that will put mine to shame!

Mike

San Diego, CA

~5 miles from the ocean

Here's a few more pictures from after a rainstorm this past December. These were taken with a better camera and I hope serve to better illustrate its beauty and toughness.

post-3949-0-54657900-1377564142_thumb.jp

post-3949-0-39498500-1377564161_thumb.jp

post-3949-0-77714600-1377564180_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Mike

San Diego, CA

~5 miles from the ocean

Ahhhhh, your plant looks about great as it gets. Nobody will be putting this to shame.....

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hi Mike, that's Dypsis sambiranensis, I've got three of them that size, it just hasn't developed a pink crown yet (like the one on the left in my photo in Palmpedia) it wont be long now and it'll be sporting a crown, just in the last 3 weeks a old petiole came off the one on the left, and now it also has a pink crown, and yes they're an easy grow, like most non-tillering Dypsis, Ed

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_sambiranensis

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Thanks, Jeff. That really means a lot coming from you.

Ed - thank you for the information. As just a little history on these, I purchased them from Jeff Marcus in late 2010. At the time, he reported that he had them growing side by side with his D. pinnatifrons and his D. sambiranensis (then Neophloga 'Pink Crownshaft'). Although, like many Dypsis, he didn't know what they were, he was very clear that they were not pinnatifrons or sambiranensis. While they are likely in the same family, I do, as Jeff Marcus did, believe that they are not the same palm as either of the above. While they may morphologically appear similar, their growth habits, at least for me, are not the same.

I have only seen pictures of maybe one D. sambiranensis in Southern California that looks even nearly this good (Sean's?). In fact it seems it is a struggle to get it even to survive here. Of course, this is all just conjecture and opinion until these things flower, but until then I guess I'll choose to believe what Jeff Marcus has told me and what I see in my own growing experiences. Thanks again for the information and all of your hard work on Palmpedia. It is invaluable! :winkie:

Mike

San Diego, CA

~5 miles from the ocean

I just snapped some pictures of my best D. sambiranensis. Pretty pathetic in comparison. Chalk up some to exposure if you like, but still not the same palm IMHO.

post-3949-0-85527600-1377570108_thumb.jp

post-3949-0-29987500-1377570660_thumb.jp

Mike

San Diego, CA

~5 miles from the ocean

I dont know it but thats a cracking little Dypsis.

Clearly within the pinnatifrons complex. I have grown pinnatifrons, sambrianensis, and a hybrid of the two and doesnt appear to be any of the three.

Thing looks great. Nice work. This plant would look great in a group planting.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

It isn't Dypsis nodifera at all ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Mike, I think I jumped to conclusions again, I'm good for that, I see the difference now, one of mine is different from the other two, it grows faster and until now hasn't had any rings, I received them as pink crownshaft seedling a couple years ago, I'm wondering if one of them isn't different? Anyhow, now I see the difference and would like to start a new page in Palmpedia (D. maroantsetra) featuring your photos, if it's OK with you? Maybe you could take a few more photos of the whole tree, thanks Mike, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Wow, that thing is awesome!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Hi Mike, I think I jumped to conclusions again, I'm good for that, I see the difference now, one of mine is different from the other two, it grows faster and until now hasn't had any rings, I received them as pink crownshaft seedling a couple years ago, I'm wondering if one of them isn't different? Anyhow, now I see the difference and would like to start a new page in Palmpedia (D. maroantsetra) featuring your photos, if it's OK with you? Maybe you could take a few more photos of the whole tree, thanks Mike, Ed

Ed, this was sold as "Dypsis sp. Maroantsetra".

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I love it. I had one for about a year that never looked this good. My hot, humid summer did it in even though I kept it in shade.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thank you everyone for the nice comments and compliments. They are great to hear from all of you Palm Talk legends. Although I rarely post, I lurk daily and have learned so much from your generous posts.

Ed - help yourself to the pictures. I'll try to get you a few more of the whole tree in the next day or two.

Mike

San Diego, CA

~5 miles from the ocean

Hmmm. looks nice Gonzer.. I'll have to check it out..

And Mike, yours looks awesome!!

Mine will be seen in the So Cal Dypsis mag when it comes out.. each leaf gets better on mine too.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I got one of these doing great as well. Will try to get some pics tomorrow. I had mine in the ground for 2 years and had to dig it up, put it in a pot and just planted it out again and through all of that it didnt skip a beat. Real cool and tough little palm! I wish I bought more than 1!!

I got one of these doing great as well. Will try to get some pics tomorrow. I had mine in the ground for 2 years and had to dig it up, put it in a pot and just planted it out again and through all of that it didnt skip a beat. Real cool and tough little palm! I wish I bought more than 1!!

Jason, that's the same "life cycle" as mine. In ground 3 years, dug and potted, back in ground, back in pot, and now in ground for a year and a half. Didn't blink a frond!

Edited by Gonzer

Well, I went out there and took a good look, and I've got both, 1 sp. Maroantsetra, and two D. sambiranensis, the dead give away is the tomentum, I said before that it recently dropped an old petiole sheath, and it was pink, but now a few days later it has green, with those specks of tomentum, it was the smallest of the three, and now towers six inches above the other two, and holds more leaves, as well it has only a few rings, very far apart, and very unpronounced, in addition it doses not have that woody trunk, at least not at this age, like the D. sambiranensis dose, the D. sambiranensis has many rings, very pronounced, with absolutely no specks or tomentum, and a woody base at an early age, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Here's a quick picture of mine. It was a bit windy out so it's not the best photo.

post-3101-0-65196000-1377729860_thumb.jp

Closer up of the new leaf.

post-3101-0-87898600-1377729881_thumb.jp

Definitely an easier grow for us in So Cal than the Pink Crownshaft Dypsis. I originally had this one planted right next to my pink crownshaft and after a couple years of my pink crownshaft doing great, it just kicked the bucket one day. Never could figure out why, but this little guy has never given me any problems.

Only reason I moved is it that it was in the most protected spot in my entire yard and I planted a Cyrtostachys hybrid there to give it a shot here.

Well, it looks like I jumped the gun again, because there is tomentum on the D. sambiranensis, almost exclusively between the two nodes under the crownshaft, but seeing the two side by side in a photo, the stems are drastically different colors, here's some comparison photos, I wont have to tell you which is which, there's nothing pink or red about a D. sp. 'Maroantsetra, Ed

post-3109-0-88613300-1377799590_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-80162800-1377799602_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-18963900-1377799613_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-58853100-1377799630_thumb.jp

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Not to dwell on this one plant, but this is the type of color this thing puts out and seems to hold onto for weeks. And to be perfectly honest, it was even darker a couple days before I found the time to grab my camera. At its height, it's almost black in color. Pretty unreal, especially for my climate. I have to do a double-take every time I walk by this thing. Jason, does yours do the same?

post-3949-0-13155200-1378940365_thumb.jp

post-3949-0-63359900-1378940389_thumb.jp

post-3949-0-37723800-1378940406_thumb.jp

Mike

San Diego, CA

~5 miles from the ocean

Not to dwell on this one plant, but this is the type of color this thing puts out and seems to hold onto for weeks. And to be perfectly honest, it was even darker a couple days before I found the time to grab my camera. At its height, it's almost black in color. Pretty unreal, especially for my climate. I have to do a double-take every time I walk by this thing. Jason, does yours do the same?

attachicon.gifmarocolor1.jpg

attachicon.gifmarocolor2.jpg

attachicon.gifmarocolor3.jpg

Stunning! I need at least 3!

Cindy Adair

Mine doesn't get that dark, but I sure hope it does eventually. Really nice!!

Kenny - mine gets a few rays of morning sun, but besides that its shaded for the rest of the day.

Kenny - mine gets about the same exposure as Jason's - morning sun only and mostly filtered.

Thanks for the reply Jason. I have a second one that gets a little more exposure (more afternoon sun) and doesn't look quite as nice. It throws the more traditional lighter red-colored leaf. I was trying to determine if it was the individual genetics of this plant that made it look so different or if it had to do with exposure. It's probably some of both but maybe genetics are a factor given our similar exposures, even if slightly different climates. Best of luck with yours!

Mike

San Diego, CA

~5 miles from the ocean

• 8 months later...

I thought I would post an update. This thing just keeps on bringin' the color! It's still a relatively fast grower and didn't even seem to blink at the recent Santa Ana, with 100F and single digit humidity. The newest leaf is not near as purple as the previous post but I suspect that is due to the weather conditions under which it opens. Not much of a scratch on it otherwise, and still holding 10 leaves.

post-3949-0-58878700-1402359140_thumb.jp

post-3949-0-40439800-1402359219_thumb.jp

post-3949-0-53745200-1402359383_thumb.jp

post-3949-0-04875000-1402359512_thumb.jp

Mike

San Diego, CA

~5 miles from the ocean

And I'm still jealous.......

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

That leaflet shine is helping keeping it's good looks, a cracker of a palm, nice work.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Jeff, Darold and Wal - Thank you. Those are quite the compliments from you three legends! I have admired your gardens and palms on this site for years. If this plant continues to stay this happy and decides to seed, I would be honored to put your names at the top of the seed list.

I too love the leaflet shine, Wal. We don't generally see that look much here with our relatively dry climate. I'm not sure I can take much credit for it though. It's just been a real easy palm for me for whatever reason.

Steve - I haven't seen them available for sale locally, but that doesn't mean you couldn't find one somewhere. From what I know, they were only available from Floribunda on 1 or 2 price lists, and that has been several years ago now. This isn't even a true species name, but is definitely in the pinnatifrons complex. Something else from that complex, like the true Dypsis pinnatifrons or the Dypsis sp. Pink Crownshaft, might be the closest you can get locally, although those are a much tougher grow in our area as most would attest to.

Mike

San Diego, CA

~5 miles from the ocean

Beautiful little palm. I have something in that complex but am not sure which one. Think mines a pink crown. I wish mine looked as good as yours to say the least.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I have both, and the D. maro. is definately a more dainty palm. I'm surprised at its ruggedness in that the Voles were trying to chew it down and it just keeps chugging along. on the "not easily viewed side" they ate halfway thru the trunk yet this thing still keeps going and is about 30" tall.

I was surprised how tall my D. samb. has got. Once the weeds were removed, its about 5' tall now..!

And YOUR palm looks superior Mike!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

PS- Wal, and Colin.. THIS is the palm I was trying to remember that day in Jim Wrights garden...

I think I have one as well. It's got all the right attributes - darker leaves with shine and throwing dark reddish fronds. The crownshaft is similar as well and as the trunk is forming it's turning slightly yellowish. I'll post some pics later.

It was sold to me as Neophloga, but it looks more like D. maroantsetra.