IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix andamanensis

basilios

They send me as a gift a very small Phoenix Andamanensis seedling(just one tiny leaf, probably a couple of months old) and since I completely ignored the existence of this species till now (and I couldn't find much info on the net), is there anyone who knows anything about its growing habits (cold tolerance, watering, special care etc)? Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Paleo Faliro, coastal Athens, Greece

Lat 37° 55' 33" N - Lon 23° 42' 34" E

Zone 9b/10a, cool winters, hot summers, coastal effect

Wow!

Sounds rare, and probably a bit on the tender side.

Here's the Wikipedia entry:

+++++++++++++

Phoenix andamanensis (andamanensis, Latin, of Andaman) is flowering plant in the palm family, in the Phoenix genus, from the Andaman Islands in the Bay of Bengal below Myanmar. It is an endemic species of the Andaman Islands. It is a rare species even in the Andaman island and is considered threatened.

Contents

[hide] 1 Overview

2 References

3 External links

4 References

[edit] Overview

It is a solitary palm tree with a trunk that easily reaches 3,5 meters high and 20 cm in diameter, sheets of 2.5 meters and about 4 cm acanthophylls long, aligned in one plane. The leaflets also inserted in a plane are concolor (same color on both sides) and with discontinuous white ramentos (stiff spines), in the abaxial face along the rachis. The date fruit is oblong and elongated, the seed is having a ruminate endosperm.[1] Found in altitudes from 400 to 675 m, these palms grow in scrubland, usually in sloping terrain.

First described in 1999 by Sasha Barrow, the plants resemble P. rupicola and is apparently closely related to Phoenix rupicola being distinguished mostly in the seed morphology. Andaman palm is adapted to tropical humid climate from the archipelago of Andaman islands, an archipelago located in the Bay of Bengal and belonging to India. The Indian subcontinent is very rich in vegetal species of palm trees of the genus Phoenix.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Interesting. Thanks Dave.

Paleo Faliro, coastal Athens, Greece

Lat 37° 55' 33" N - Lon 23° 42' 34" E

Zone 9b/10a, cool winters, hot summers, coastal effect

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

My Phoenix andamensis has survived at least -2°C / 28.4°F as well as a long cool Mediterranean winter. While this is surprising given its tropical habitat, it is not actually remarkable considering its close relative (P. rupicola?). This palm is definitely visually more fragile than a P. canariensis / P. dactylifera/ P. sylvestris of the same size.

IMG_20220911_200855.thumb.jpg.a8b13da5135b653f566533db58ac0366.jpg IMG_20220911_200840.thumb.jpg.6eed64a86a799af30cf7030eab24cbf7.jpg 

Do any of you have this palm in cultivation and want to show a photo?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1