• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Frog thinks she wants to jump the fence

MattyB

...and go play with the coyotes.

post-126-065300800 1333121627_thumb.jpg

post-126-009150500 1333121632_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

she looks like a statue in the first pic. she from the streets! aint no coyotes gettin' in here with out goin' through me first (thats what shes thinking)

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Craziest amphibian I ever did see

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Frog runs around, chasing the coyotes until they get tired and then they sit next to each other and rest for a spell, before taking off again. I was pretty worried at first but they seem to have it all worked out. Coyotes will eat small dogs, and usually will only have problems with larger sized dogs if they are aggressive or won't submit. Frog just wants to play and the coyotes just want her to stop chasing them, so hopefully it won't ever escalate to an ambush or something bad. The good thing about having Belle, the great dane, is that Belle is very protective of Frog, so I can always let Belle out to break it up if there's a problem.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Sounds like you have a perfect situation all-around! I'd love to see a video of her "playing" with the Coyotes.

Well, I don't encourage it so I doubt that I'll get a video of it. But if she decides to run off next time I'll remember to grab my camera.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Frog looks like a sweet doggie.

I recall she was when I visited.

Bet she and the Kitten of Terror will get on well

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm at the vet right now. Frog got ambushed by a pack of coyotes. Shes ok, but shes got some pretty deep puncture wounds. So rabies booster and some antibiotics are in order.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

You have a serious coyote infestation. Hope Frog recovers quickly, poor girl. She probably thought they wanted to play. :(

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I'm afraid the coyotes think that they've got a serious people infestation, since they were here first.

Turns out that Frog's cruciate ligament (knee) might be torn and will probably need surgery. $2000 :(

Also, she has to have her left canine tooth removed as it's been broken off, down to the exposed nerve, and can wick infection up into her bone and sinuses. Oh boy.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Oh man, what a drag for both her and you. Were you there when it happened? If so, were you able to break it up? Knowing me, I would have gone screaming at the top of my lungs out there to chase them off of her, swinging a big stick, although a pitchfork would have been better.

I hope she is ok, she looks like such a sweetheart. Let us know how she is

I think we are starting to have them here, but luckily I have the yard totally fenced in. I am not sure if they would attack two really big dogs and a pitbull.

Oh man, what a drag for both her and you. Were you there when it happened? If so, were you able to break it up? Knowing me, I would have gone screaming at the top of my lungs out there to chase them off of her, swinging a big stick, although a pitchfork would have been better.

I think we are starting to have them here, but luckily I have the yard totally fenced in. I am not sure if they would attack two really big dogs and a pitbull.

Be careful, if you do. Coyotes are nothing to [expletive] with, even with big dogs. I lost a bunch of kittens to them. ("Eat at Dave's!")

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

They won't mess with regular or large dogs, especially in their own yard, that's your dog's territory and the coyotes know that. But if you're stupid like frog and keep chasing them around and around and around the canyon, after a while they get pissed and will defend themselves from the perceived threat.

We try and give the dogs some off-leash time so they can frolic, play, run, etc., but with Belle deciding that she likes to run-off and explore, and now with Frog chasing coyotes, we just can't do it anymore. This time Frog caught the scent of some coyotes and bolted before we could catch her in the act and call her back. Once she's on it there's no stopping her. Typical pit bull. So we finished our walk and went back up to the house, thinking that the coyotes would just out run her and keep their distance like before. But about a half hour later we looked down into the canyon and saw at least 5 coyotes, a couple of them clearly not running away but chasing Frog. They went into some heavy trees and we heard a quick scuffle so we quickly threw our shoes on, grabbed our walking sticks/shovel and ran down to the area we last saw them. Frog finally emerged, battered, but looking relatively ok. But once I cleaned her up it was apparent that she had some deep puncture wounds a small laceration, and once the adrenaline wore off she stopped putting weight on her leg and basically crashed.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

There was a deer that kept hanging around the front yard where a fruit tree was going off and one day he was there and I told Chloe to go get him-meaning chase him off as they do tremendous damage to the plants. Off she went and he bounded across the dirt road and into the trees and I figured he was gone, and she would be back in a minute. The next thing, he's chasing her across the neighbor's yard-right on her butt and they are flying. I was scared he would roll her, but she came out of the woods down the road. Turns out he was waiting for her in the trees and ambushed her. I went and got my other dog to see how the deer liked two dogs, but he was gone. They can be pretty crafty-as can most other mammals.

Dave-I don't think that I could stay back and watch my dogs get attacked if I were there. I could at least throw some large rocks etc. I would have to do something. I know they would do the same for me.

Coyotes are usually pretty weary of people and just the sight and smell of a human or a loud yell usually sets them off running. The exception would be very small children, who they will somtimes see as prey.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Coyotes are usually pretty weary of people and just the sight and smell of a human or a loud yell usually sets them off running. The exception would be very small children, who they will somtimes see as prey.

I think you mean "wary" -- weary means tired, which would be great if true.

So, how is Froggie the Doggie?

oh yeah, I mean "wary".

She's at home resting. I haven't seen her this afternoon, but here she is in better days.

Don't you just wanna kiss that face! :P

post-126-041206400 1334961672_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

oh man thats horrible!!! i hope everything works out for Frog and doesnt cost to much. she was finally starting to warm up to me too. :angry:

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

There was a deer that kept hanging around the front yard where a fruit tree was going off and one day he was there and I told Chloe to go get him-meaning chase him off as they do tremendous damage to the plants. Off she went and he bounded across the dirt road and into the trees and I figured he was gone, and she would be back in a minute. The next thing, he's chasing her across the neighbor's yard-right on her butt and they are flying. I was scared he would roll her, but she came out of the woods down the road. Turns out he was waiting for her in the trees and ambushed her. I went and got my other dog to see how the deer liked two dogs, but he was gone. They can be pretty crafty-as can most other mammals.

Dave-I don't think that I could stay back and watch my dogs get attacked if I were there. I could at least throw some large rocks etc. I would have to do something. I know they would do the same for me.

Be careful, especially large critters.

Male deer can perforate the belly with a hard charge and antlers, which can lead to a trip to Fun Surgery City (of doom! ). And, they can all kick.

I used to manage a garden shop in Diamond Bar, CA, which had a problem with Mule Deer. They're well named, with long ears, and a mulish temper to match, especially the males in the rut. We had many reports of Rottweilers, other big dogs, and people, and even the canvas side of a jeep attacked by rutting deer. (I still remember the picture the guy took of the deer after he ripped off part of the canvas top of the jeep and it got stuck in the deer's antlers, and made him look like Deery Gaga . . . . )

Do what you must, but protect yourself first. A stout stick, etc., is a nice thing to have, the longer the better. Bellies make lousy collanders . . .

lol Dave, don't worry, when I go after deer in the yard, it is usually when I am coming home at night and I literally have chased them up the driveway and across the yard in my car! Something comes over me...I have no control and I just step on the gas and hit the horn (which normally I hate using). I did actually chase them once on foot, but the dogs were with me. I know it sounds crazy, and it is, but they can do so much damage to the plants that I got over the "Bambi" stage long ago.

Matty-I am glad that she is ok-pretty traumatic and yes, one does want to kiss that face! Nothing like a pitbull's face -esp when they are 'smiling"

1334961699' post=523992]

oh yeah, I mean "wary".

She's at home resting. I haven't seen her this afternoon, but here she is in better days.

Don't you just wanna kiss that face! :P

She's a great dog who makes friends with bad company. I love those dogs. wub.gif

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean