RarePalmSeeds

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

The IPS has issued the expected revised "Terms of Service" - Effective Immediately - Please read more in an explanatory topic HERE.

NEW "TERMS OF SERVICE"

Photo

Why so cold?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Ray Tampa

Ray Tampa

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 4,906 posts
  • Location:Interbay Peninsula of Tampa, Florida, USA and Bokeelia, Florida, USA

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:14 AM

The more things change, the more they stay the same. This morning, the Arctic Oscillation looks to go very negative toward months end. Up to now, the NAO has been slightly positive so the AO going negative wasn't a big concern. Now both could be tanking which is a sure bet for February cold weather. The days seem to be crawling by and March seems very far away.
Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA
subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA
subtropical USDA Zone 10B

PalmTalk Advertising

#42 gsytch

gsytch

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 693 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

Lord no....No AO neg! It makes all the warmth of this winter go away because everything will be frozen, including me. The campus I teach at in Hudson looks like a war zone. I do mean brown! Just 25 mins N of me and a whole different growing zone. White Birds totally burnt. Only the one of mine in the open has any damage at all. Those under shade and huge are fine. No Mango damage. No Dypsis damage. I'll keep my fingers and pinkie toes crossed that February is milder....................
Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

#43 Ray Tampa

Ray Tampa

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 4,906 posts
  • Location:Interbay Peninsula of Tampa, Florida, USA and Bokeelia, Florida, USA

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

The PNA is positive, the NAO is neutral and the AO is very negative. If the polar vortex wasn't "leaning" more towards Asia, we'd be in a world of hurt right now. The door is open but the cold air fan isn't turned on. The pattern needs to change quickly before the vortex shifts back towards North America.
Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA
subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA
subtropical USDA Zone 10B

#44 Dave-Vero

Dave-Vero

• IPS MEMBER
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

NOAA climate is expecting below-normal this month, but not for north of Florida.
Posted Image
Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Florida Climate Center zone 10a
arborday.org 2004 hardiness zone 10
4 km inland from Indian River

#45 gsytch

gsytch

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 693 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

I saw that, too. But the long range for the next 7 days is well above normal. Every forecast shows 77-80F average highs through Feb 9th and lows near 60F...definitely NOT below normal. Perhaps they were expecting that Alaskan cold to come down. It is not. Thankfully. Today was a beautiful 80F afternoon. Sunny. Again. Welcomed!!!!!!!!!! :drool:
Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

#46 Z4Devil

Z4Devil

• IPS MEMBER
  • 720 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

Not only you in the US but we in Europe, too.
The so called "Russian coldness" dominates the European continent. Currently we have - 10 C max, at night -18 C ... naff! :rolleyes:
For indoor palms that means: warm temperatures (by the heater) in combination with much air humidity (to avoid spider mites). I have arms like a professional wrestler. 8 liters of warm water I have to spray every day ... :D
Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users