IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ravenea sp new & sp giant

Dr. George

Does anyone have any pics of mature or info on either Ravenea sp new or sp giant?

(I have a couple of 5 gal and would like to have an idea of what they are going to grow into before I decide where to plant them out).

Thanks - gmp

Here are two photos. The one that looks like it has been scanned was sent to me by Joseph of Ortanique, who sold germinating seedlings, most of which I have in pots, one in the ground. I don't know the origin of the other phot, but it looks like it might be the same palm and venue.

post-279-056767500 1296322080_thumb.jpg

post-279-085122000 1296322107_thumb.jpg

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Here are two photos. The one that looks like it has been scanned was sent to me by Joseph of Ortanique, who sold germinating seedlings, most of which I have in pots, one in the ground. I don't know the origin of the other phot, but it looks like it might be the same palm and venue.

:blink:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

These are of "Ravenea sp giant" which I beleive they think is Ravenea robustior now.

The plant "Ravenea sp new" is a smaller palm and kind of looks like a Ravenea madagascariensis type. I have never seen a picture of a trunking one. I know Nick here in SoCal has a good sized one close to trunking I think.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks, Mike

Am assuming this would be the R. sp. giant, right?

Any chance you have anything on the R. sp. new?

Mahalo - gmp

These are of "Ravenea sp giant" which I beleive they think is Ravenea robustior now.

The plant "Ravenea sp new" is a smaller palm and kind of looks like a Ravenea madagascariensis type. I have never seen a picture of a trunking one. I know Nick here in SoCal has a good sized one close to trunking I think.

Thank you very much.

Somehow I overlooked your post before I posted my questions to Mike.

Appreciate all the info.

gmp

Here is one from Mardy Darians garden (Mardy called it Ravenen sp. giant). The fronds were twenty feet minimum. Unbelievable plant.

DSC_0562.jpg

DSC_0563.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

Mike- Just so you know...there is some discussion and belief that Mardys palm and sp Giant, may not be the same palm... BUT it IS GIANT in size!!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It's difficult to believe that Mardy's plant & the one being sold as sp. "giant" are the same. The sp. giant in every picture I've seen is fairly stocky, much like a Ravenea rivularis. The one at Mardy's was just way different looking; some were refering to it as robustior. It's crown reminded me of a huge R. sambiranensis, just exploding out of the ground.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Something wrong in my first post. I meant Ravenea krociana, not robustior. Sorry. There is actually a palm described in POM under "Ravenea krociana" that is described as being similar to Ravenea krociana but larger and with harder wood. We know for a fact this "sp Giant" palm comes from Mount Vatovavy as that is where the seed came from. So it might be the same palm described in POM?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

• 3 years later...

I have a sp. Giant at my dad's and it is indeed slow and prone to yellow, but it's not too hard to grow. I have maybe given it iron, once and it's in full sun. The palm is growing but it is not a fast palm-at least not for me...

I planted one in July-August 2009. That's the one shown by itself in the photos below, taken today. I planted three more in February and March 2011. The smaller one in the foreground in the pic of two palms is one of them. All of Mandrew's comments apply for me as well (slow, yellowing, and full sun). Orange 5-gal bucket for scale.

post-279-0-02123700-1419273321_thumb.jpg post-279-0-89971000-1419273323_thumb.jpg

Mike Merritt

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Forgot to mention that I had an opportunity to query Dr. John Dransfield about this species once. His response was that the only thing it had in common with R. krociana was that it was BIG. He and fellow researchers considered its possible relation to R. robustior, but were leaning against making that ID. Perhaps we will know more when the revised POM comes out, whenever that will be.

Mike Merritt

Forgot to mention that I had an opportunity to query Dr. John Dransfield about this species once. His response was that the only thing it had in common with R. krociana was that it was BIG. He and fellow researchers considered its possible relation to R. robustior, but were leaning against making that ID. Perhaps we will know more when the revised POM comes out, whenever that will be.

One hell of a book!!

Of course, since it's on my phone, the photos would be sideways... sorry, but these are fresh from this morning.

post-5491-0-00037700-1419343228_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-75067400-1419343257_thumb.jp

Does anyone know where to find Ravenea Krociana for sale? I drool everytime I see the Floribunda Madagascar presentation but can't seem to locate one.

Of course, since it's on my phone, the photos would be sideways... sorry, but these are fresh from this morning.

Mandrew, its going to be a beauty!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 1 year later...

Update on my sp. giant. Yes, this thing is slow! However, what Pete said about them getting past 4 feet and growing faster, seems to be right. I think this palm will do well, in the long run.

giant.jpg

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Mandrew968 said:

Update on my sp. giant. Yes, this thing is slow! However, what Pete said about them getting past 4 feet and growing faster, seems to be right. I think this palm will do well, in the long run.

giant.jpg

It will Andrew, our Krokiana has started to trunk, its fronds are immense ,  not bad for the cool sub tropics eh :) 

Pete, just so you know, there is a big difference between my soil, at my house and my dad's soil. he has much more marl--our form of clay. It hold moisture and nutrients better than sand or rock, which is usually the alternative in South Florida. 

Andrew, I have a friend who has been growing this for a couple years longer than I have, & the last two years it has just put on tremendous growth. Last time I saw it about 3 months ago, it was taller than me & really getting girthy. (Picture Matt?) They are very slow to get started as you pointed out, until about waist height & then they really go. Like most Raveneas, water, water. I'll grab a picture of mine tonight I agree that this is not the same palm as krociana. A much, much different looking seedling. Sp. giant is very distinctive with it's black speckles even when bifid. Too bad they lose them.

Bret

Bret, look forward to your photos. This palm gets a ton of water and is not far from a hildebrandtii. He has a glauca in the front that gets much less water but seems to be happy with as much. besides the dying majesty palm, Ravenea is very very rare in South Florida--even among palm collectors!

I thought I would provide an update on my sp. giant that i posted a picture of in Dec 2014. Here are two of my larger ones:

57b37bb088266_sp.giant_MLM_081616.thumb.

57b37c9ac1c97_sp.giant_pair_MLM_081616.t

I talked a bit more to John Dransfield at the IPS meeting in Madagascar in Oct 2015. Apparently, there are three Ravenea varieties that appear to be closely related - robustior, robustior (coastal form), and sp. giant. The relationships will be defined by DNA work. His opinion was that the three would probably end up as separate species. I took several pics of the coastal form that we observed on Isle St. Marie, and include them below:

57b37e30b986d_M3-05-Ravenearobustiorcoas

57b37e348c945_M3-17-Ravenearobustiorcoas

57b37e38b019d_M3-18-Ravenearobustiorcoas

57b37e3d5d706_M3-19-Ravenearobustiorcoas

• Upvote 5

Mike Merritt

As with most everything in my yard, it's tough to get a good picture. The base of this palm is pretty neat; you can still see the heel to the left of the bottle. It's about 4-1/2 foot overall.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Upvote 2

Bret

• 2 months later...

Looking good Andrew; much greener looking than the earlier pictures. Mine seems to take longer than most other palms in my yard to get growing when the weather warms up. It looks great, but will only put out 2 fronds this year. Fortunately it looks much bigger with each new frond. You can tell these get to be big palms.

Bret

gosh, I cant wait for mine to get big.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24