Horse manure

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tyrone

Tyrone

• IPS MEMBER
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:23 PM

I've been using horse manure for a while with good results, but when speaking to others they say there is very little in it. Who's using it and what do people think of it compared to chicken, sheep and cow manures for example. As I live on deep sandy soils with nothing in them, I'm always looking at ways to keep the soil built up and alive.

So what do you reckon, horse manure is good or bad and why?

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Winter 8C to 16C min/max, Summer 15C to 24C min/max. Approx 850mm rainfall with a winter peak. Driest month Feb with 25mm. 9km (5miles) from Southern Ocean. 6km (3.5miles) from Oyster Harbour. 13m asl. 1/3 clay, 2/3 peat soil on a flood plain.

It rains 6 months of the year and the other 6 months it continues dripping off the trees. 

The Tropical Look

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 brodklop

brodklop

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 810 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

I've used horse manure for years with no bad effects.

Others have said it releases more nitrogen that other manures which is good for palms.

So when you are on a good thing stick to it.

Regards

Brod
Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia
28 latitude, sub tropical
summer average 21c min - 29c max
winter average 10c min - 21c max
extremes at my place 5c - 42c
1100 average rainfall

#3 Walter John

Walter John

explorer

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 14,255 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:18 PM

I began my main palm garden area using horse manure and sugar can mulch. The results were a huge thumbs up. A couple of years after I switched to sheep manure. The downside to using horse manure though is that you may get various weed seeds depending on whether the collection from "trigger" and "silver" was from the stable or the paddock.
Happy Gardening
Cheers,
Wal
Queensland, Australia.

#4 Jerry@TreeZoo

Jerry@TreeZoo

• IPS MEMBER
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:25 PM

I did a comparison years ago, between potting soil and horse stable compost. There was a large horse track close by and you could get all the manure compost you wanted for the cost of trucking it. It was made up from quite a bit of sawdust as well as manure and the racetrack swore it was composted for a year. I doubt that though. The compost always produced smaller and yellower plants as the compost used up a good bit of the fert in its further composting.

I don't know how much (if any) sawdust is in your manure but in any case your manure must be composted completely or will rob nitrogen from the soil. If you have pure sand, any composted manure at all will be an improvement so use what you got.

Jerry
So many species,
so little time.
Coconut Creek, Florida
Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)
Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

#5 Turtile

Turtile

• IPS MEMBER
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

There is nothing wrong with horse manure. It actually will give your plants more nitrogen if its fresh. Sawdust will lock up the nitrogen for a while. Chicken manure is the most fertile manure.
Zone 7a/b Delaware
Unusual Plants

#6 Gan Eden

Gan Eden

• StumpHead
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:14 PM

Is horse manure that much different from cow manure?

#7 Moose

Moose

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:06 PM

Use elephant dung for Borassus, they love it! :drool:

Ron.
Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

#8 _Keith

_Keith

• IPS MEMBER
  • 8,657 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:29 PM

Manure, it's all good. Actually, as far as manure goes, I hear Horse Manure is among the best. Cow manure has too many weed seeds, and chicken poop is too hot and may burn. Now, things in the manure, like sawdust changes the metric. It is always best, no matter what the manure, to compost it before using which allows the tempering of the good and the bad.

I can tell you that my mother-in-law uses manures in her beds as opposed to commercial fertilizers, and they are always fabulous.

In my post I sometimes express "MY" opinion.   Please do not feel insulted if your opinion differs from my opinion.  That is fine.  You get to have one, I get to have one.  Its kind of like they teach you in Kindergarten, but we don't even have to share.  Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data.  Other terms may apply.

#9 Daryl

Daryl

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:56 AM

I really don't know if I could sleep in a bed with manure in it.... :mrlooney:

Gold Coast Hinterland, Queensland 28S
Mild Humid Subtropical climate
Temp Extremes 4C-42C
Rainfall - not consistent enough!

#10 Phil

Phil

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:54 AM

Tyrone,

When I first planted my garden 30 years ago, I faithfully sought out "Stable Litter" (as it was called then) to topdress my garden. I never had a problem with it. The stables I got it would throw down redwood shavings below the horses and scoop this up every day or two. The stables didn't really know what to do with it, so it was near free to obtain. I'd try to obtain more aged material when possible. I'd apply about a 2 inch layers throughout the garden. If it appeared to be too fresh, I'd supplement it with some slow release fertilzier or blood meal thrown down with the stable litter. Over three to six months it would break down and go into the soil. Then I'd do it again. If the litter had too much staw in it, it might look a bit shabby. But, that too would break down. Jim Wright and other San Diego growers did the same thing with stable litter in thier gardens. But as the urbran sprawled away from us, it got harder to obtain so I went with straight nitrolized fir shavings. Some soil companies use a bit of chicken manure in their soil preparations. Steer is typically to strong.

Phil
Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users