IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why not grow orchids?

Matt in SD

On 9/25/2022 at 3:22 PM, piping plovers said:

My dowiana is growing a new lead just as outdoor growing conditions in RI are getting chilly ——the pleasant 75/55 F. temps of the past weeks are quickly becoming 65/45 F. Temps.  

Here’s my winter time plan.  It’s Going to be an energy hog but I’m committed to keeping this dowiana healthy all winter so it can go into spring summer growing-season strong.  Sunny south window, with a grow light for 12 hours, set upon a humidity tray that is set upon a heat mat.  I’ll monitor the night time temps at  the window to see if I need to move it away.

307CF352-2236-4EB8-B066-DCFC8BE6A828.jpeg

How do you like those grow lights? I have seen them for sale and I keep telling my good friend in Ohio to use them

2 minutes ago, John hovancsek said:

I can tell you that Tim would never photoshop a photo. He has one of the most beautiful gardens here and he really knows what he is doing. If u ever head out this way it is something you must see

Yes, beautiful collection he has been sharing on here.  Aah the benefits of gardening in Hilo :).  Keep these photos coming , they are amazing seeing them growing in garden conditions.  My plans for the IPS biennial fell through but would have enjoyed seeing the 3 Hawaiin islands on tour; was last in Oahu in 1985.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John hovancsek said:

How do you like those grow lights? I have seen them for sale and I keep telling my good friend in Ohio to use them

Last year was my first time using them and they helped greatly for orchids that inconveniently started a growth phase in late September - It permitted me to finish the growth through the winter with a vigorous start for the spring.  They did produce very dark green foliage with a stunted appearance but all resolved when Springtime arrived and they received more natural daylight.  I believe they fared better with the lights than without and the constant 12 hours days made everything 'happier."  My anthuriums, and palms responded well.

This exact light (round halo) in the C. dowiana photo above is my 1st season using.  Am trying the red & blue lights setting to see if best for the new growth.

• 3 weeks later...

Blc. Terri Henderson 'Barbara' .  Very reliable bloomer.  Blooms immediately after growth matures in summer, no waiting 😁. Blooms emerge chartreuse w purple ish lip then changes to yellow w red ish lip. 

9C922A3F-F590-458F-BE55-BBD98476F4F7.thumb.jpeg.4d4756fdefde85366a2763d74062ed86.jpeg

6AE2A1E5-55CC-4188-8418-259D7D5D5135.thumb.jpeg.fc09ea153c7737c70a68aff2f124be8c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Keep finding these orchids in the yard growing on every medium, palm trunks, rocks, and old logs. No complaints, I love them. Here’s one growing on a palm trunk that went unnoticed until it started blooming. 

Tim

72491A19-E887-4FEB-AE8E-A1246DE8DD2D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Noticed this Stanhopea getting ready to pop. The blooms almost look like small artichokes.

Tim

BF975F8D-6C76-47EF-8B93-F703959B2EB7.jpeg

3F395994-0104-4E79-886E-0B9FB25BE234.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 10/18/2022 at 5:16 PM, piping plovers said:

Blc. Terri Henderson 'Barbara' .

Posting a photo of the newest bloom as they look so different in color from the week old blooms of golden yellow and reds; as posted above more of a chartreuse and purple ish combo.

C7208FD4-47E5-4F72-9382-7877C6BFAF3E.thumb.jpeg.e5f5d480f619fa53984e5049d6173ebf.jpeg

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, realarch said:

Noticed this Stanhopea getting ready to

Intriguing, Tim. I’m gauging the bloom process and timing on my S. oculata based on what yours looks like.  I’ve never seen these bloom before so am eagerly anticipating the unfurling of everything.

EC25313B-6B68-4DA6-8D0B-7AF9EC9FA949.thumb.jpeg.42254e94ee985ca816bd0a5442d03f6f.jpeg

DB133F55-92E1-4D0F-B1CE-5DA27986A558.thumb.jpeg.4b228647f6442606c8f3f1d82ac38a0b.jpeg

• Upvote 2

The buds opened and wa la, stunning, large flowers with a heavenly scent. This is the first time this one has flowered since I acquired it back  in 2018. I picked up an S oculata at the same time and it’s been flowering for a few years now. 

Tim

2588625E-266E-42EE-93D2-2F6F8CA49C8F.jpeg

5F3034E2-665F-4C13-8E5A-ECACDAB9B9E1.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

4 minutes ago, realarch said:

The buds opened and wa la, stunning, large flowers with a heavenly scent. This is the first time this one has flowered since I acquired it back  in 2018. I picked up an S oculata at the same time and it’s been flowering for a few years now. 

Tim

2588625E-266E-42EE-93D2-2F6F8CA49C8F.jpeg

5F3034E2-665F-4C13-8E5A-ECACDAB9B9E1.jpeg

:greenthumb::greenthumb:  That's a beaut for sure!...   Assuming that is S. tigrina X nigroviolecea " The Predator" ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, realarch said:

The buds opened and wa la, stunning, large flowers with a heavenly scent

Interesting leopard print pattern on that, such alien-like blooms.  I like the hot pink Ti plant in the background too

i was thinking the predator also, but couldn’t think of the name as I was typing. Silas beat me to it!😁

Edited by piping plovers
Edit
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 2:16 PM, piping plovers said:

Blc. Terri Henderson 'Barbara' .  Very reliable bloomer.  Blooms immediately after growth matures in summer, no waiting 😁. Blooms emerge chartreuse w purple ish lip then changes to yellow w red ish lip. 

9C922A3F-F590-458F-BE55-BBD98476F4F7.thumb.jpeg.4d4756fdefde85366a2763d74062ed86.jpeg

6AE2A1E5-55CC-4188-8418-259D7D5D5135.thumb.jpeg.fc09ea153c7737c70a68aff2f124be8c.jpeg

One of my favorite color combos in cattleya-type orchids.

• Like 1

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

30 minutes ago, piping plovers said:

Interesting leopard print pattern on that, such alien-like blooms.  I like the hot pink Ti plant in the background too

i was thinking the predator also, but couldn’t think of the name as I was typing. Silas beat me to it!😁

..Since both of you are growing them,  you both  have me beat 😄  

Still remember the sight of a large display specimen at a Pac. Orchid Expo i'd attended..  There were some other remarkable species / crosses on display at the same event, but this cross easily left the biggest impression. Tough to get good pictures w/ a dozen or so other folks trying to do the same thing at the same time, lol..  I'd bet enjoying the scent while roaming the garden nearby is fantastic.

While no observations have been made on iNat from the specific area,  Perhaps for good reason,  a large specimen of this species has been documented just a couple hundred miles south of the U.S. / Mex. Border in Sonora ...Is the only Stanhopea sp. that apparently requires a dry rest in spring to grow / flower properly.  "Dry" Season in that part of Sonora lasts 7-9 months.

https://www.desertmuseum.org/programs/alamos_orchids_stamac.php

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Is the only Stanhopea sp. that apparently requires a dry rest in spring to grow / flower properly.  "Dry" Season in that part of Sonora lasts 7-9 months.

Thanks for sharing that article, fascinating that it requires a dry period and for so long. I try not to ever miss a watering with my oculata as I hear they will readily  drop leaves.

not sure if this maculosa species is available in cultivation but will keep an eye out for it; very attractive with the red spots and long leaves.

9 minutes ago, piping plovers said:

Thanks for sharing that article, fascinating that it requires a dry period and for so long. I try not to ever miss a watering with my oculata as I hear they will readily  drop leaves.

not sure if this maculosa species is available in cultivation but will keep an eye out for it; very attractive with the red spots and long leaves.

It's out there.. How easily obtainable is the bigger question.  Think i've seen it offered via different growers just a few times over the course of a few years of looking.  I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find if determined enough / connecting with any serious Stanhopea collectors.

The fact it can withstand such a long dry rest period is fascinating for sure.  If not already pursued, would be an interesting subject to explore cross breeding- wise, especially if involving a clone of the specimen from Sonora..

While at least a few sp. can supposedly be grown outdoors there  -if some reasonable tinkering with placement / exposure are applied,  a cross involving maculosa might be a tad more care free for anyone who might try and grow it outdoors in S. Cal.  Putting together a collection of these is certainly top of the " would do " list if i ever get back there..

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses, mahalo. Here’s another photo, I thing they are getting even larger. 

Tim

D493BDFA-E578-415B-91B5-719E374BA29D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here’s another one of my favorites, and again I have no idea what it is, but it has such a great habit.

Tim

6D6598B7-AE1A-48A6-9ECB-84E5EB591C36.jpeg

E84B5C03-1BB7-475B-8C24-EB6FDD320B23.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

This one has been blooming for a few years now and I don’t remember buying it or having it gifted. Very exotic looking and only has one bloom at the end of each stem. 

Tim

81203D26-959A-4799-A128-05306E5E3B05.jpeg

B2CF31EA-BFFC-4937-9895-4C5CC6B2BB15.jpeg

E3A85442-3B3B-4980-AD93-A1C940B0923F.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

10 minutes ago, realarch said:

This one has been blooming for a few years now and I don’t remember buying it or having it gifted. Very exotic looking and only has one bloom at the end of each stem. 

Tim

81203D26-959A-4799-A128-05306E5E3B05.jpeg

B2CF31EA-BFFC-4937-9895-4C5CC6B2BB15.jpeg

E3A85442-3B3B-4980-AD93-A1C940B0923F.jpeg

Epidendrum for sure.. Not sure on the species though. There, wouldn't be surprised if seed from plants someone else might be growing  end up blowing around and germinating un-detected in other gardens.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, realarch said:

Here’s another one of my favorites, and again I have no idea what it is, but it has such a great habit.

Tim

6D6598B7-AE1A-48A6-9ECB-84E5EB591C36.jpeg

E84B5C03-1BB7-475B-8C24-EB6FDD320B23.jpeg

Tim, Take a look at  Dendrobium cobbianum.  Appears to be a good fit for this one.

• Like 2

A cattleya type orchid just opened up now that it's cooling off in Arizona. This one is highly scented,and the greenhouse is filled with its perfume every morning.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20221031_143807440.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

On 10/21/2022 at 2:21 PM, piping plovers said:

Intriguing, Tim. I’m gauging the bloom process and timing on my S. oculata based on what yours looks like.  I’ve never seen these bloom before so am eagerly anticipating the unfurling of everything.

EC25313B-6B68-4DA6-8D0B-7AF9EC9FA949.thumb.jpeg.42254e94ee985ca816bd0a5442d03f6f.jpeg

DB133F55-92E1-4D0F-B1CE-5DA27986A558.thumb.jpeg.4b228647f6442606c8f3f1d82ac38a0b.jpeg

These smell like mint chocolate chip ice cream 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

Wow, wasn’t expecting that combination of fragrance but am really anticipating now…is that a feature of oculata or stanhopea in general? 

And anticipation is building with the first blooms. Buds are Nowhere as large as the one Tim posted above; but maybe oculata has smaller blooms… or could be a more mature plant along with the added magic of growing in Hawaii sunshine 😁

DD5FACAD-4384-4F39-A8EC-A64C97E8022B.thumb.jpeg.3545325557eb68bdfbc8099bb36500c0.jpeg

C2576D8F-B251-4C25-87E8-A2602D36D8D1.thumb.jpeg.99f95f460a286953800dfa3f45e6406e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, piping plovers said:

Wow, wasn’t expecting that combination of fragrance but am really anticipating now…is that a feature of oculata or stanhopea in general? 

And anticipation is building with the first blooms. Buds are Nowhere as large as the one Tim posted above; but maybe oculata has smaller blooms… or could be a more mature plant along with the added magic of growing in Hawaii sunshine 😁

DD5FACAD-4384-4F39-A8EC-A64C97E8022B.thumb.jpeg.3545325557eb68bdfbc8099bb36500c0.jpeg

C2576D8F-B251-4C25-87E8-A2602D36D8D1.thumb.jpeg.99f95f460a286953800dfa3f45e6406e.jpeg

Definitely no life long expert in the Genus but thinking S. oculata is one of the average to smaller- sized flowering Stans. while species like S. tigrina, platyceras, and nigroviolecea produce some of the largest. I see that because of S. oculata's wide distribution, there are a few different clones in cultivation also, which could also influence flower/ overall plant size..  Can see a few different clones here:  https://www.thestanhopeaguy.com/stanhopeas/

As far as i'm aware, flower scent John mentions is typical for the species.   From everything i'd researched, flower scent of each species is distinct w/ some smelling sweet like Gardenia, Plumeria, or Jasmine, while the scent of others can smell like Vanilla, or Cloves / Cinnamon.  Still, there are supposedly a few where the flower scent is akin to Herbs like Basil, Sage, or Rosemary.

Not certain but think related Genera like Gongora, Coryanthes, and Acineta produce interestingly scented flowers as well.

All together, iNat lists 21 Genus in the Stanhopeinae  Subtribe.  Just saw an OrchidWeb listing where " The Predator " is being used in a cross involving a sp. of Coryanthes, so it seems possible at least some of the Genus can produce successful Intergeneric crosses, offering up numerous possibilities for even weirder looking flowers,  and maybe offer up a little more flexibility in hardiness, depending on the cross of course ( specific cross lists the possibility of being cool-warm adaptable ).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Definitely no life long expert in the Genus but thinking S. oculata is one of the average to smaller- sized flowering Stans. while species like S. tigrina, platyceras, and nigroviolecea produce some of the largest. I see that because of S. oculata's wide distribution, there are a few different clones in cultivation also, which could also influence flower/ overall plant size..  Can see a few different clones here:  https://www.thestanhopeaguy.com/stanhopeas/

As far as i'm aware, flower scent John mentions is typical for the species.   From everything i'd researched, flower scent of each species is distinct w/ some smelling sweet like Gardenia, Plumeria, or Jasmine, while the scent of others can smell like Vanilla, or Cloves / Cinnamon.  Still, there are supposedly a few where the flower scent is akin to Herbs like Basil, Sage, or Rosemary.

Not certain but think related Genera like Gongora, Coryanthes, and Acineta produce interestingly scented flowers as well.

All together, iNat lists 21 Genus in the Stanhopeinae  Subtribe.  Just saw an OrchidWeb listing where " The Predator " is being used in a cross involving a sp. of Coryanthes, so it seems possible at least some of the Genus can produce successful Intergeneric crosses, offering up numerous possibilities for even weirder looking flowers,  and maybe offer up a little more flexibility in hardiness, depending on the cross of course ( specific cross lists the possibility of being cool-warm adaptable ).

Here's the other Stanhopea- related site worth surfing through i have referenced in the past ( Some links to others on the site as well ) 

https://stanhopeaculture.blogspot.com/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Here's the other Stanhopea- related site worth surfing through i have referenced in the past ( Some links to others on the site as well ) 

Ah, thanks so much! Yes I remember this blog you referenced awhile back, a really good resource on the species and what to expect for each. Too bad the comments section on that site got spammed to death by off topic and strange posts☹️

The first article you referenced is also very good, I’ll spend more time on that later.

Interesting to me that ecuagenera lists oculata as a cool-intermediate grower; probably why it thrives in my growing conditions indoors and summer outdoors.  The larger species/varieties you mentioned seem to be offered on ecuagenera for reasonable prices.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Not certain but think related Genera like Gongora, Coryanthes

I do have a Gongora fulva .  After arriving from ecuagenera with rot a year ago I’ve been nursing it back to step 1. Putting out much growth now and hope to get it to bloom next year 

• Upvote 1

It is mid-Autumn as announced by the first Laelia in the garden opening up.  Laelia anceps ssp guerrero.

I'm hoping it doesn't get too beat up, since a storm is passing through with winds gusting into the low 30's mph range right now.  Sun should be up soon to go out and check on it. 

Another little bonus is the Epidendrum marmoratum blooming again; it blooms freely throughout the year.

20221031-BH3I9351.jpg

20221031-BH3I9360.jpg

20221031-BH3I9360.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 11/2/2022 at 12:41 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

As far as i'm aware, flower scent John mentions is typical for the species.

On 11/1/2022 at 12:44 PM, John hovancsek said:

Before I opened the French doors this morning to the sunroom I noticed an intriguing scent, opened the doors and just wow!  You all nailed it on the scent description and glad you mentioned it otherwise my mind would have been circling trying to place it.  The flowers are equally exotic; I really really like these.

After reading they have a short bloom period, I actually traveled with the plant in my car on two local overnight trips this week because I didn’t want to miss it.  Yes, qualifying me as a plant nut😁

Not to be outdone by this tropical interloper,  My temperate climate garden plants are also vying for attention - starting to display their autumn crimson colors; euonymus alatus and Japanese red maple.

0427B7FD-49AB-48EB-9888-5EEC18C039EF.thumb.jpeg.a85874372e07043fe6a3ca04cc002d3a.jpeg

6B2B2E4A-A226-4B61-A803-6030F7091E31.thumb.jpeg.b4c5506c535cf399ff2869a931538dc9.jpeg

43FBC594-51ED-454F-88E2-B20ACC0A8EDF.thumb.jpeg.09a636e4a67664146b9431c133d1609e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks to all who post here! Many beautiful flowers.

I am not sure if the genus is still correct, but my label says Bulbophyllum medusa

4B220E65-9B6D-4BF5-A998-80E0EC5642F4.thumb.jpeg.f0a40b11b435bd21b94cb538f44a6aa1.jpegC98D19AB-7912-48C0-B7B9-A0495DA4CB55.thumb.jpeg.9a3f187431c7af631d21305216d24da7.jpeg 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

10 minutes ago, piping plovers said:

Before I opened the French doors this morning to the sunroom I noticed an intriguing scent, opened the doors and just wow!  You all nailed it on the scent description and glad you mentioned it otherwise my mind would have been circling trying to place it.  The flowers are equally exotic; I really really like these.

After reading they have a short bloom period, I actually traveled with the plant in my car on two local overnight trips this week because I didn’t want to miss it.  Yes, qualifying me as a plant nut😁

Not to be outdone by this tropical interloper,  My temperate climate garden plants are also vying for attention - starting to display their autumn crimson colors; euonymus alatus and Japanese red maple.

0427B7FD-49AB-48EB-9888-5EEC18C039EF.thumb.jpeg.a85874372e07043fe6a3ca04cc002d3a.jpeg

6B2B2E4A-A226-4B61-A803-6030F7091E31.thumb.jpeg.b4c5506c535cf399ff2869a931538dc9.jpeg

43FBC594-51ED-454F-88E2-B20ACC0A8EDF.thumb.jpeg.09a636e4a67664146b9431c133d1609e.jpeg

:greenthumb: Very nice..  It must have appreciated the car rides 😄 Any of your neighbors ask what kind of cookies you're baking yet?  I see it is putting on some new growths too..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

It must have appreciated the car rides 😄

lol Silas.  Yes, at least it didn’t elude me with delay tactics like trying to get the cat or dog into the car going to the vet 😆

yes, new growths and another bloom spike.  Rewarding!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, piping plovers said:

lol Silas.  Yes, at least it didn’t elude me with delay tactics like trying to get the cat or dog into the car going to the vet 😆

yes, new growths and another bloom spike.  Rewarding!

I thought i spied another spike forming..  Tough to be 100% sure that's what it was in the picture though.. Pretty cool you might have flowers through the rest of the month regardless.

Haha.. My dog has never had issues w/ the car. If anything, he'll grumble that we aren't getting from point A to B fast enough, ..and have to stop at red lights 🤣

As many times as we have moved cross country, he sees car trips as an adventure.

No issues when he's gone to the Vet either, though only for his puppy shots / micro chipping years ago.  Basenji are typically very healthy dogs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Basenji are typically very healthy dogs.

Ah, an African breed if I’m remember correctly.  My coworker would bring in her Besengi puppy into the office; very distinct appearance.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, piping plovers said:

Ah, an African breed if I’m remember correctly.  My coworker would bring in her Besengi puppy into the office; very distinct appearance.

Yes, discovered in the Congo.. Believe it or not but the breed was utilized to chase / corral Lions and other game.

Because the breed does not typically bark, Indigenous people would tie bells made from the fruits of Borassus around the neck like a collar to be able to hear the dogs moving through the jungle. 

Very distinctive dogs, and much more intelligent than some sources say.  One of the most important things someone has to remember about owning them is they have a high prey drive and will bolt out an open door like lightning if they see something furry they want to chase.  Great Cat deterrent, lol.

• Like 1

Here are a few that are in my care. The basket and all the babies are all s. Oculata. I have a few more in my collection but the sent on there are my favorites 

E1F214CB-C791-48A0-B760-745072820616.jpeg

DE65AD93-B72C-43A4-BB19-E0D8E81ED75E.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, John hovancsek said:

Here are a few that are in my care. The basket and all the babies are all s. Oculata. I have a few more in my collection but the sent on there are my favorites 

E1F214CB-C791-48A0-B760-745072820616.jpeg

DE65AD93-B72C-43A4-BB19-E0D8E81ED75E.jpeg

Just a few huh?, lol :D   :greenthumb: :greenthumb: Assuming they're fairly easy to hand pollinate? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

I am not sure if the genus is still correct, but my label says Bulbophyllum medusa

Wonderful form on those blooms, like something out of a Dr. Seuss book😁