Monkey orchid?

Tracy

I don't recall what the name of this orchid is, but know that once you get them, they want to volunteer in with all your other orchids.  The flower resembles a little monkey, hence the title of my post.  Anyone recognize the flower.  I also posted a photo of it's leaves, it is the small two leaf plant at the base of the other orchid.  The other orchid sharing the pot is an Epidendrum robustum

20230912-BH3I2526.jpg

20230912-BH3I2527.jpg

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Looks like a Cynorkis fastigiata. It does look a bit like a monkey indeed but that name is usually given to Dracula simia. 

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

iko.

22 hours ago, iko. said:

Looks like a Cynorkis fastigiata. It does look a bit like a monkey indeed but that name is usually given to Dracula simia. 

Hope that helps.

Thank you.  The reference to monkey orchid was my own so a mistake if Dracula simia already staked the name.  Thank you for the id.  The genus matches what I previously heard and forgot.  I thought they looked cute but an orchid collector I know advised they can become like weeds once they get a foothold.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 9/14/2023 at 5:06 AM, Tracy said:

I don't recall what the name of this orchid is, but know that once you get them, they want to volunteer in with all your other orchids.  The flower resembles a little monkey, hence the title of my post.  Anyone recognize the flower.  I also posted a photo of it's leaves, it is the small two leaf plant at the base of the other orchid.  The other orchid sharing the pot is an Epidendrum robustum

20230912-BH3I2526.jpg

20230912-BH3I2527.jpg

Nice little gem I love orchids and do collect them but they go straight into the garden iam not going to be an old man with a greenhouse full of orchids that I have to give away when I have to downsize one day i would rather it be palms to sell