• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Monkey orchid?

Tracy

I don't recall what the name of this orchid is, but know that once you get them, they want to volunteer in with all your other orchids.  The flower resembles a little monkey, hence the title of my post.  Anyone recognize the flower.  I also posted a photo of it's leaves, it is the small two leaf plant at the base of the other orchid.  The other orchid sharing the pot is an Epidendrum robustum

20230912-BH3I2526.jpg

20230912-BH3I2527.jpg

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Looks like a Cynorkis fastigiata. It does look a bit like a monkey indeed but that name is usually given to Dracula simia. 

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

iko.

22 hours ago, iko. said:

Looks like a Cynorkis fastigiata. It does look a bit like a monkey indeed but that name is usually given to Dracula simia. 

Hope that helps.

Thank you.  The reference to monkey orchid was my own so a mistake if Dracula simia already staked the name.  Thank you for the id.  The genus matches what I previously heard and forgot.  I thought they looked cute but an orchid collector I know advised they can become like weeds once they get a foothold.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 9/14/2023 at 5:06 AM, Tracy said:

I don't recall what the name of this orchid is, but know that once you get them, they want to volunteer in with all your other orchids.  The flower resembles a little monkey, hence the title of my post.  Anyone recognize the flower.  I also posted a photo of it's leaves, it is the small two leaf plant at the base of the other orchid.  The other orchid sharing the pot is an Epidendrum robustum

20230912-BH3I2526.jpg

20230912-BH3I2527.jpg

Nice little gem I love orchids and do collect them but they go straight into the garden iam not going to be an old man with a greenhouse full of orchids that I have to give away when I have to downsize one day i would rather it be palms to sell