IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Extra Germinated Seeds (Livistona chinensis)

GoatLockerGuns

I have some extra germinated Livistona chinensis seeds to give away.  At least four seeds showing germination through the baggie (possibly more to come).  These were personally sourced from a palm growing in Cape Coral, Florida in October.  I am willing to ship for free to the lower 48; just agree to give them a good home.  PM me if interested (first come, first serve).

image.thumb.jpeg.fae8d6f91f8ac9d8b290de48bcc90bd1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

14 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Can I try again?

Sure.  Same address in Huntsville?

14 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Even though I'm a sprout murderer?

Don't beat yourself up over it.  I have never had a problem germinating Livistona chinensis; however, I have found them incredibly finicky when they are young seedlings.  Once roots are firmly established, they are are easier to keep alive.

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

If you've still got the info from before, everything is the same except the street number. It's 120 instead of 136 now. If I remember right you sent me Christmas Palm seeds and I planted 3 out of 4 upside down in a Taco Bell cup 🤣 Do I need to send you a few bucks for the USPS non-sortable fee so they won't shred the envelope? 

These are gone.

• Upvote 1

On 12/15/2022 at 11:24 AM, GoatLockerGuns said:

These are gone.

Good looking out homey. Thank you. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I oughtta do this with the seeds that fall in my pond and sprout. If I pack them in pearlite with a cardboard stiffiner, I bet they would ship ok...

• Upvote 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

On 12/15/2022 at 9:01 AM, GoatLockerGuns said:

These were personally sourced from a palm growing in Cape Coral, Florida in October.

Rich, were the fruits that you collected a bluish color?  Seems like every Livistona chinensis that I had seen before moving here had mature fruits of this color.  My palm produces fruits that stay a dark green color and most palms in the area (and there are MANY) are similar.  I'm curious if it's dependent on the conditions or just variation in the species.  The fruits on my palm started last spring and started falling off (still dark green) back in November/December and there are still a few on the palm today.  Haven't had any problem germinating them either.

Jon Sunder

1 minute ago, Fusca said:

Rich, were the fruits that you collected a bluish color? 

Yes.

1 minute ago, Fusca said:

My palm produces fruits that stay a dark green color and most palms in the area (and there are MANY) are similar. 

I have another batch that had some dark green fruits mixed in.  I believe that dark green ones had not ripened as much blueish ones.  The dark green ones still germinated though.

• Like 1

FWIW, the ones I get from my tree here in California also turn a blue color when ripe. My implication is that regardless of region, ripe seeds have a blue fruit color. 

Edited by Patrick
  • Like 1

Oakley, California

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

On 1/17/2023 at 3:20 PM, Fusca said:

The fruits on my palm started last spring and started falling off (still dark green) back in November/December and there are still a few on the palm today.

I picked up fruits from the base of what I believe to be Livistona chinensis growing in front of the Naples Botanical Garden last November.  If they were Livistona chinensis, then they were probably the tallest I have ever seen.  As you can see from the pictures of the fruits, they were still greenish when they fell.

20221126_144147.jpg

20230119_081332.jpg

20221126_144157.jpg

20221126_144353.jpg

6 hours ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

20221126_144353.jpg

Yep, that's exactly what my fruits look like all year long and they germinate fine.  In 3½ years that I've had the property I've never seen them change color.  I guess that it's due to lack of water.  I believe that you did ID them correctly as L. chinensis.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

Creed-2-Ivan-Drago.jpg.e30e4a841cfd432df542081b868af146.jpg

If it grows, it grows...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oakley, California

On 12/15/2022 at 7:01 AM, GoatLockerGuns said:

Livistona chinensis

Hi,

do you still have any of those germinated seeds?  I could give them a good home.

Adam

On 1/21/2023 at 10:35 PM, Avantgardener said:

do you still have any of those germinated seeds?  I could give them a good home.

PM your address...I will see what I can do.