IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Amendig soil in the garden with Perlite

Palmfarmer

Have a small area in my garden I want to put my dyckias and cactus, agaves etc. however it does not drain well enough. If I dig down 40 cm I will reach a sandy soil that drains well. So I was thinking of making a 40 cm deep hole then amend with perlite and backfill. Perlite is good for the job or should I use Sand instead? I got perlite, compost, coco coir and peat moss at hand, but I can obtain sand if it is needed. 

Edited by Palmfarmer

4 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

Have a small area in my garden I want to put my dyckias and cactus, agaves etc. however it does not drain well enough. If I dig down 40 cm I will reach a sandy soil that drains well. So I was thinking of making a 40 cm deep hole then amend with perlite and backfill. Perlite is good for the job or should I use Sand instead? I got perlite, compost, coco coir and peat moss at hand, but I can obtain sand if it is needed. 

Grit/ gravel... NO perlite... it will float away.  Best " sandy" stuff you can use comes from  a creek / river bed, etc.  40cm / 15 inches isn't really bad.. you could just turn it over and mix the better draining stuff with the finer- grained soil that sits at the surface.. Most Cacti/ Agave, etc that grow out in the wild often grow in soil that is finer grained at the top, and better draining/ containing more rock, etc deeper down where roots would penetrate.

As long as any standing water that might pool around the plants is drained off within a few hours after it collects, it will be fine. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I created a raised bed area here in Florida with a mix of native sandy soil, generic "topsoil" (shredded tree scraps), Sakrete Paver Base (crushed limestone gravel), old freebie sandbags they give out from hurricanes, and perlite.  This works fine with the 40-60 inches of rain here, the perlite doesn't wash away as long as you cover it with gravel.  In my case I used either red lava rock or salt-and-pepper granite as a topper. 

I would not recommend coco coir, it retains way too much water.  For drainage small gravel is ideal, and lava rock and expanded shale are very good at allowing drainage without holding too much water.  I found this experiment done by a bonsai guy, he soaked the materials in water and then drained them and weighed the before and after.  Coco coir held about 85% of the water, while granite at the other end only retained 5% of the water.  I'd think maybe 25% organics and the rest a combination of gravel, lava rock, maybe perlite or Turface MVP (or similar fired clay pebbles) would drain reasonably well.  I'd avoid vermiculite because it disintegrates over time.  Fine sand is a bad idea, but you could do ok with what Silas recommended, i.e. coarse riverbed grit.

Coconut Coir 14.6%
Akadama 26.7%
Kanuma Pumice 29.0%
Diatomaceous Earth 30.2%
Compost 31.6%
Pine Bark 33.3%
Turface MVP – LECA 36.2%
Perlite 36.4%
Commercial Peat Moss 40.0%
Vermiculite 41.7%
Sand – coarse grit 67.6%
Lava Rock (Scoria) 76.5%
Expanded Shale 84.6%
Granite Chips 94.4%
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

I created a raised bed area here in Florida with a mix of native sandy soil, generic "topsoil" (shredded tree scraps), Sakrete Paver Base (crushed limestone gravel), old freebie sandbags they give out from hurricanes, and perlite.  This works fine with the 40-60 inches of rain here, the perlite doesn't wash away as long as you cover it with gravel.  In my case I used either red lava rock or salt-and-pepper granite as a topper. 

I would not recommend coco coir, it retains way too much water.  For drainage small gravel is ideal, and lava rock and expanded shale are very good at allowing drainage without holding too much water.  I found this experiment done by a bonsai guy, he soaked the materials in water and then drained them and weighed the before and after.  Coco coir held about 85% of the water, while granite at the other end only retained 5% of the water.  I'd think maybe 25% organics and the rest a combination of gravel, lava rock, maybe perlite or Turface MVP (or similar fired clay pebbles) would drain reasonably well.  I'd avoid vermiculite because it disintegrates over time.  Fine sand is a bad idea, but you could do ok with what Silas recommended, i.e. coarse riverbed grit.

Coconut Coir 14.6%
Akadama 26.7%
Kanuma Pumice 29.0%
Diatomaceous Earth 30.2%
Compost 31.6%
Pine Bark 33.3%
Turface MVP – LECA 36.2%
Perlite 36.4%
Commercial Peat Moss 40.0%
Vermiculite 41.7%
Sand – coarse grit 67.6%
Lava Rock (Scoria) 76.5%
Expanded Shale 84.6%
Granite Chips 94.4%

Thanks for the information. Got a offtopic question can I plant a Coconut in clay soil and it will do well? If not can I just amend with compost and mound plant it? Its a funny experiment. Will keep the trunk wrapped with burlap and twirl c9s or c7s all around the fronds once christmas is approaching. 

Unfortunately I know nothing about growing plants in clay.  I have some experience killing coconuts in my front yard any time it got below 30F...  :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I bought like 5 bricks of cocoa fiber for 50 cents a brick years ago. Used it as a back fill for my first Bizzy. It never complained.

I used it for pots, it did drain well but holds 0 nutrients unfortunately. I almost never see it now at retailers.