IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC's April 16, 2022 meeting

DoomsDave

TWO GARDENS, SIDE BY SIDE RARE SPECIES, MATURE TREES - PLANT AUCTION AND RAFFLE

GARDEN #1 THE QUA GARDEN 5328 BRAGG ST., SAN DIEGO, CA 92122 Bret and Linda Qua purchased their home in early  2002. Within a year they had begun work on installing a pool and working on hardscape and landscaping, of course centered around their love of palms. Bret has attempted to create a somewhat wild looking, only marginally manicured garden with palms that appeal to him. As such, there are a combination of both common and somewhat rarer palms. Three sizable Washingtonia that came with the house still surround the spa, while other less common species abound such as Roystonea, Burretiokentia, Pritchardia, Becarriophoenix, various Dypsis, Ravenea and others. A number of palms hold a special place in his heart, especially those which have been grown from seed, or those gifted to him from people who have since passed. While results in the garden are at best sometimes mixed, it has been a labor of love that has provided endless hours of "Zen". The back yard area is a hillside and should be traversed with care - but is reasonably accessible to anyone wishing to look around. A restroom is available.

GARDEN #2 (NEXT DOOR TO QUA GARDEN) THE WATKIN GARDEN 5310 BRAGG ST.,
SAN DIEGO, CA 92122 Terry and Margie Watkin purchased their home in 1993. Like their next door neighbors, the Quas, they have a love of gardening and it shows. Between the well-planned hardscape and awesome collection of palms, it is a wonderful and relaxing garden to enjoy. Simply put, Terry has his irrigation down to a science. He has installed inline fertilization to all zones. And boy, can you tell! The vertical growth of many of his palms is remarkable.

There are numerous large mature and near mature palms, including a beautiful Dypsis species (similar to decipiens) in his front yard, a fruiting Pritchardia martii, an awesome triple of Acanthophoenix with all 3 species included, some huge Becarriophoenix, Euterpe, Parajubea, Rhopalostyis and many others. There are also wonderful specimens of Ficus
dammeropsis and Schizolobium parahyba in front.

ITINERARY
9:30 AM – BOARD MEETING AT QUA GARDEN
10:45 – 11AM – TOUR QUA GARDEN
12:15 PM – POTLUCK LUNCH AT SECOND GARDEN IN DRIVEWAY ALL ASKED TO BRING
AN ITEM; DRINKS SUPPLIED
1:15 PM – TOUR WATKINS GARDEN NEXT DOOR
2:30 PM – MEETING, PLANT AUCTION, RAFFLE AT SECOND (WATKIN) GARDEN
3:30 – 4:00 PM - ADJOURNMENT

DIRECTIONS: Both gardens are north of Fwy 52 off Freeway 5 in San Diego. Get onto Fwy 5. From the south, exit Fwy 52 (near La Jolla) east. From the north, exit Fwy 52 east. Continue on Fwy 52 taking Regents Rd. (exit 1B_ left (north) Turn left on Pennant Way Turn left onto Stresemann St. Turn left onto Bragg St. Destination on the right. If you approach from the Fwy
805, take Freeway 52 west and exit north on Regents Rd.

COVID PROTOCOLS: As this is being published, there is a lull in Covid cases but an upswing on a new variety of Omicron Covid is starting on the East Coast. If, by the time the meeting arrives, case rates are high, it is recommended that you may wish to wear a face mask. Of course, insure social distancing.

REMINDERS: Wear appropriate foot wear (not high heels) and dress for predicted weather. Members are asked to bring plant donations for the Auction & Raffle – Limit six plants or so – Do not overwhelm space or attendance. Please no common palms like Washingtonias, Canary Island Dates, etc. The Auction is a major source of the PSSC's funding and donations and purchases are appreciated!

Guests and new members always welcome! Bring a friend, or even an enemy if they like palms.

Phil Bergman is the area chair, and he may be contacted by PM on this website.

• Like 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So who's coming?

SAN DIEGO!

Might cook up some Mexican Mother in Law Stew for the potluck . . . .

• Like 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So who else is coming?

Might cook up some of @GottmitAlex's  Mexican Mother-In-Law StewTM for the potluck.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

So who else is coming?

Might cook up some of @GottmitAlex's  Mexican Mother-In-Law StewTM for the potluck.

Then count me in!!!

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I’ll be there but will only stay long enough for the first garden unfortunately. 

Work always screws things up. :violin:

-dale

• Upvote 1

Glad I showed up yesterday and Thanks to all who participated! Someday, I'll actually take lots of pics.. but here are a couple.. at the Watkin garden

Euterpe edulis orange crownshaft version

277835256_2276030142537946_386984962669108431_n.thumb.jpg.d140aa1ce0f1ce7ef5a52ccd4b077e00.jpg

A great "mealybug palm" , Dypsis manajarensis out front

277974495_995150427801584_3507160897173457721_n.thumb.jpg.3708d1ed683a9ce33bd48099ca5bd3cf.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

A very interesting Dypsis clumping hybrid over at the Qua's caught my eye.

Grouped, irregular leaflets on a smaller clumper.. never seen that. Bret said he got as "weeping" onalahensis.. which it's not. I find this more intriguing though.

277663274_668277990953320_4088969483917691228_n.thumb.jpg.b752374021ca4705c9c7e99c02635a81.jpg

277821508_1319201151899848_1034571155106187939_n.thumb.jpg.fafc18d4cf90adc3e57e7f4bca8413a4.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

A beautiful Burretiokentia hapala.

IMG_20220416_110254_1_copy_2592x4608.jpg

IMG_20220416_110300_1_copy_2592x4608.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

A massive B. alfredii street side on the Watkin's place 

IMG_20220416_100525_1_copy_4608x2592.jpg

IMG_20220416_100616_1_copy_2592x4608.jpg

IMG_20220416_100618_1_copy_2592x4608.jpg

IMG_20220416_100518_1_copy_2592x4608.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The Qua's have a beautiful B. fenestralis 

IMG_20220416_094321_1_copy_2592x4608.jpg

IMG_20220416_094045_1_copy_2592x4608.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for posting photos... I was strongly considering going, but the neighborhood Easter egg hunt won out :blink:

Would have been great to see the Bec Alfredii and Fenestralis side by side... I personally love the graceful look of Fenestralis, but read they don’t do well in CA... so got a Madagascarensis instead. A decision I question at times (due to the extremely slow growth). Wish I had room for all three!

Any idea how old the Euterpe Orange crownshaft is? I’m putting three in the ground soon and am curious what to expect growth-wise.

More photos please!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

A beautiful Ravenea julietiae 

I was stunned (still am) with the two gardens!

IMG_20220416_102324_1_copy_2592x4608.jpg

IMG_20220416_102341_1_copy_4608x2592.jpg

IMG_20220416_102322_1_copy_2592x4608.jpg

• Like 1

No words can explain how at awe I was with the gardens! 

I saw the huge D. decaryi in the Qua's yard and I was taken aback! 

I actually bid on a baby decaryi in the auction, btw, @DoomsDave is an amazing auctioneer!

And I got it!!!!

Brought it home with me.

The auction was composed of beautiful palms. Some too large to bring home. (That's another story). I was drooling. 

@Josh-O @BS Man about PalmsPP

I did it!:D

IMG_20220416_113312_1_copy_4608x2592.jpg

IMG-20220416-WA0059.jpeg

IMG-20220416-WA0058.jpeg

IMG-20220416-WA0057.jpeg

IMG_20220416_160649_1_copy_2073x3685.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/14/2022 at 12:46 PM, Billeb said:

I’ll be there but will only stay long enough for the first garden unfortunately. 

Work always screws things up. :violin:

-dale

Did you make t?

7 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

No words can explain how at awe I was with the gardens! 

I saw the huge D. decaryi and I was taken aback! 

I actually bid on a baby decaryi in the auction, btw, @DoomsDave is an amazing auctioneer!

And I got it!!!!

Brought it home with me.

The auction was composed of beautiful palms. Some too large to bring home. (That's another story). I was drooling. 

@Josh-O @BS Man about PalmsPP

I did it!:D

IMG_20220416_113312_1_copy_4608x2592.jpg

IMG-20220416-WA0059.jpeg

IMG-20220416-WA0058.jpeg

IMG-20220416-WA0057.jpeg

IMG_20220416_160649_1_copy_2073x3685.jpg

Glad you made it and nice to meet you!

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 6:35 AM, DoomsDave said:

So who's coming?

SAN DIEGO!

Might cook up some Mexican Mother in Law Stew for the potluck . . . .

I had seconds!!! Wonderful stew Dave!!!!

It was an honor to meet you, touch base with friends and all the folks there. 

Hat's off to you!

Thank you for the invitation.

Alex

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Did you make t?

I did not. As stated earlier…..stupid work. My schedule changed the night prior and couldn’t break away. 
Literally every single time a meeting happens…..something comes up. Super  Frustrating. :rant:

-dale

It was such a pleasure to have everyone choose to spend their Saturday with us! Everyone who we spoke with was unfailingly cheerful and pleasant. Even my wife Linda commented on how friendly everyone was, talking with her about everything from the interior of her home to the flowers in her garden. Thank you to all who attended and those people who make such a fun event happen. I had to laugh at some of the observations that people made, some of which should have been obvious, but that I'd never considered. Bill's comment about the Dypsis hybrid was a case in point. Neighbor Terry has a plant from the same Floribunda batch, but as his is larger, I just never mentally compared the two. Leave it to observant Bill to do so. Such an abundance of knowledge in this group, thanks again!

• Like 5

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Alex, great score on the D. decaryi. A great palm that should grow great for you!

Stacey, I think the Euterpe is 8-9 years old. It's been a pretty brisk grower right out of the gate...

• Like 3

Bret

Thanks (excited to get my orange crownshaft colony going)!

I’m so bummed I couldn’t make the meeting as I was hoping to see your Fenestralis in person someday (was on my “dream palm” list for a long time, but I’ve since made peace with the Madagascarensis substitute).

I also want to see your neighbor’s huge Brazilian tree fern. I have some growing in pots that I’m planning to use as temporary shade trees (though might not keep them forever). Curious to see a full grown one.

If you see someone staring at your plants for a long time (from the public sidewalk) it’s likely me dropping by to at least see the front yard ones. I promise I’m not a stalker B)

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

3 hours ago, Billeb said:

I did not. As stated earlier…..stupid work. My schedule changed the night prior and couldn’t break away. 
Literally every single time a meeting happens…..something comes up. Super  Frustrating. :rant:

-dale

Bummer! 

We’ll be having another in Huntington Beach I think in May, getting back in the groove.

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Bummer! 

We’ll be having another in Huntington Beach I think in May, getting back in the groove.

Noted. Thanks Dave. I’ll make it eventually. 

-dale

• Upvote 1

I think there’s at least a few of us newer palm people that got into it recently and are ready to accept the next phase of the addiction. I’ll be at a meeting eventually. Good to hear they’ll be more regular. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Alex, great score on the D. decaryi. A great palm that should grow great for you!

Stacey, I think the Euterpe is 8-9 years old. It's been a pretty brisk grower right out of the gate...

Thanks Bret!!!

On 4/17/2022 at 2:51 PM, quaman58 said:

Great Garden, quaman!

Hey Paul, thanks for coming by; it was great seeing you & Matty again!

Bret

I wanted to go but I just couldn't make this time. Hopefully next meeting will work out for me.