IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Exotic Tropical Tree Recommendation

chinandega81

As some of you may have noticed, there seems to be a lethal disease going around, killing the Tropical Almond Tree. They loose their leaves and the tree dies very quickly. Not to be confused with it's annual leaf droppage. Anyways, I have one that I maintain in my front yard. I top it off so it gives me a flat, circular roof effect underneath it's canopy. I have noticed many other tropical almonds in my neighborhood are getting infected with whatever disease is going around and they are dying. I am concerned mine is going to suffer the same fate also.

With that said, I am thinking about what to plant in its place. I would love any suggestions for something tropical, beautiful, exotic and flowering. I already have an African Tulip, a Royal Poinciana, Rosy Trumpet Tree and Plumeria. Any other ideas for something else that would be a show stopper? Flowers aren't an absolute requirement, but something that has a wow factor with it's foliage could make up for that. 

Thank you!

queen's crepe myrtle (Lagerstroemia speciosa)

rainbow shower tree (Cassia x nealiae) 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

54 minutes ago, chinandega81 said:

As some of you may have noticed, there seems to be a lethal disease going around, killing the Tropical Almond Tree. They loose their leaves and the tree dies very quickly. Not to be confused with it's annual leaf droppage. Anyways, I have one that I maintain in my front yard. I top it off so it gives me a flat, circular roof effect underneath it's canopy. I have noticed many other tropical almonds in my neighborhood are getting infected with whatever disease is going around and they are dying. I am concerned mine is going to suffer the same fate also.

With that said, I am thinking about what to plant in its place. I would love any suggestions for something tropical, beautiful, exotic and flowering. I already have an African Tulip, a Royal Poinciana, Rosy Trumpet Tree and Plumeria. Any other ideas for something else that would be a show stopper? Flowers aren't an absolute requirement, but something that has a wow factor with it's foliage could make up for that. 

Thank you!

Research some of your natives / other stuff from the Caribbean. Lots of good options there.. Several are threatened or endangered.  Aside from that, Verawood ( Bulnesia arborea ) is a good, not quite native option ( from northern South America ).

Anyone there currently looking into what might be killing Tropical Almond?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Research some of your natives / other stuff from the Caribbean. Lots of good options there.. Several are threatened or endangered.  Aside from that, Verawood ( Bulnesia arborea ) is a good, not quite native option ( from northern South America ).

My issue with natives is that they are already planted everywhere, in addition to growing in the wild, and I would rather showcase something exotic and unique. I like verawood but it is a de facto flowering tree in medians and public plantings as the one token flowering tree among the native pallete, so it gives a public space feel IMO, in addition to having the tendency to topple over easily. But it is a beauitful tree for sure.

I don't think anyone is researching the tropical almond disease because it is a non-native and on a list of trees the county prohibits from being planted...they cannot be legally sold or planted in South Florida due to their ability to naturalize rather easily.  This disease seems to only affect tropical almond, but I have seen tree after tree succomb to the disease and quickly in my neighborhood. I'm not sure what it is, but i'm sure the native plant people are thrilled-one less exotic to worry about. We will see how widespread this goes....there are a lot of tropical almonds to infect in South Florida.

I have pondered replacing it with a Malay Apple tree, but it seems like with all the falling fruit it might be overly messy. There has to be a unique and beautiful flowering tropical tree out there that others love and would like to see used more....I want to highlight something for the neighbors so my yard plantings stand out and inspire people to go beyond the cliché plants we have recycled over and over in South Florida.

3 hours ago, Xenon said:

I have a queen's crepe myrtle aready BUT I wasn't even aware of your second recommendation. I looked it up, do you know if it is a prolific bloomer in Florida? Can it take poor, sandy soil? It looks lovely in pics. Do you know any difference or pros or cons with it vs. cassia fistula or cassia javanica? I would love to hear more about your experience with this tree please!

Just now, chinandega81 said:

I have a queen's crepe myrtle aready BUT I wasn't even aware of your second recommendation. I looked it up, do you know if it is a prolific bloomer in Florida? Can it take poor, sandy soil? It looks lovely in pics. Do you know any difference or pros or cons with it vs. cassia fistula or cassia javanica? I would love to hear more about your experience with this tree please!

Sorry no experience here, just a casual admirer. I've seen many Cassia fistula and Cassia javanica (the parents of the hybrid) during trips to Florida, so I don't see any reason why the hybrid wouldn't do just as well (or even better due to its sterility). 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

How about the Joy Perfume Tree, Browneas, Fernandoa, Napleon's Hat, Amherst nobilis?

• Like 2

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Here are a few ideas:

• Hong Kong Orchid - Common, but does great in Florida.
  • Bombax ceiba 
  • Erythrina crista-galli
  • Handroanthus sp
  • Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

6 minutes ago, metalfan said:

How about the Joy Perfume Tree, Browneas, Fernandoa, Napleon's Hat, Amherst nobilis?

Some great suggestions, thanks. I like the Joy Perfume Tree descriptions, do you have any experience with it?

25 minutes ago, metalfan said:

Brownea, Napoleon's Hat, and Amherstia n. would definitely be unique.  I'm sure there are nurseries in/ around Homestead who would be growing them.

Lotus Tree, Gustavia sp. ( Can't remember which is grown there ) would be another winner.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

4 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

I haven't seen any problems with them here in Delray Beach other than insects chewing holes in the leaves yearly.  I used to grow them but they didn't sell very well so I  stopped germinating them 6-7 years ago and sold the last potted ones I had cheap a month or so ago when the opportunity came up.

@chinandega81 if yours dies grind the stump, they take a loooong time to rot on their own and the roots that typically grow above ground on the older ones also take a very long time to decay.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

I haven't seen any problems with them here in Delray Beach other than insects chewing holes in the leaves yearly.  I used to grow them but they didn't sell very well so I  stopped germinating them 6-7 years ago and sold the last potted ones I had cheap a month or so ago when the opportunity came up.

@chinandega81 if yours dies grind the stump, they take a loooong time to rot on their own and the roots that typically grow above ground on the older ones also take a very long time to decay.

Yea, Chinandega81's account is the first i've heard of these having problems.  I know some people aren't fond of these/ can be a bit of  a seeder but like the look.. Plan on growing a few once in San Diego ( Way too hot here, lol )

8 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

I know some people aren't fond of these

They are kind of messy and the fruit stains concrete.  I had one in my front yard and people would constantly come to my house and (without asking) rip a bunch of leaves off or break branches off so they could have the leaves for medicinal use. I got so annoyed I cut it down.

1 minute ago, NOT A TA said:

They are kind of messy and the fruit stains concrete.  I had one in my front yard and people would constantly come to my house and (without asking) rip a bunch of leaves off or break branches off so they could have the leaves for medicinal use. I got so annoyed I cut it down.

Have heard that ( about the fruit )..  Interesting, I know there have been some studies done on potential.. but didn't realize people would actually use it. Know they're very popular w/ people who raise Betta fish < maybe other types > ( Leaves helps clean the water / supposedly alter the water chemistry making conditions more ideal for the fish to reproduce )

17 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

Thanks for the tip about stump grinding, I didn't know that. Mine doesn't stain too much and I have a wall and fence around my yard so no one is getting in to steal the leaves lol! The squirrels love the almonds and they drop them everywhere and germinate on their own quite easily. Most people that have them,have them as volunteers that they transplant. They get very large and are very high maintenance for sure. They have 2 annual leaf drops that take about a month each...and their leaves decay slowly and are large so they blow around and make a mess. However, I still love their vigorous growth ahd large tropical leaves. They are worth the hassel with their overall look and great shade IMO. They also tolerate sandy dry and wet soils, salt, heat, humidity, cold fronts....a pretty good tree for South Florida IMO.

36 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Yea, Chinandega81's account is the first i've heard of these having problems.  I know some people aren't fond of these/ can be a bit of  a seeder but like the look.. Plan on growing a few once in San Diego ( Way too hot here, lol )

The disease starts off as a regular leaf drop (out of season though-here it is usually in December-January and again a more minor one in August). The difference is that it starts at the very top outter branches and works its way to the center and then down the lower layer tiers of branches, leaving the entire tree bare and dead. It happens faster than their natural leaf drop in the winter here. It happens to the trees closest to each other, so I don't know what is actually spreading it...but a lot of insects chew on their leaves. I thought these trees were practically resistant to disease, they are hardy...so to see this happening is disappointing. I hope it doesn't spread region wide. We will see. It seems like South Florida is ground zero for every pest and plant disease from around the globe.

I don't know to much about this tree but its very pretty and has some amazing flowers, it does need part shade, or shade in the afternoon. 

Ashoka tree, (Saraca asoca).

2064889331_Saracaasoca.thumb.png.787a2eb2a3b5d44256d0d2806b7cb319.png

Sita Ashok.jpg

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Have heard that ( about the fruit )..  Interesting, I know there have been some studies done on potential.. but didn't realize people would actually use it.

Hatian people put leaves inside hats against their forehead or in their shoes so the chemicals get absorbed through the skin on the bottom of their feet. They say it helps with high blood pressure. Very high Hatian population in my area and they grew up in a different world so they think nothing of walking into someones yard and taking the leaves as they would in their homeland.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chinandega81 said:

Some great suggestions, thanks. I like the Joy Perfume Tree descriptions, do you have any experience with it?

No, its a Magnolia, but not a hardy one where I live. I had entertained the idea of one in my greenhouse though.

16 hours ago, chinandega81 said:

Thank you!

is this one the 'Tropical Almond'  you are talking about ? We call ' em 'Indian Almond Tree', and they're native to south East Asia, and Northern Australia. I like ' em ( despite the leaf drop in the dry season ) because our rare red tailed Black Cockatoos love the seeds !. I had a seedling sprout in my pond, I transplanred it the backyard 6 years ago, now its 8m ( 25' ) tall !
https://www.territorynativeplants.com.au/terminalia-catappa-indian-almond

Edited by greysrigging
spelling
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Xenon said:

The 'Pride of India'  crepe myrtle is probably the most commonly planted exotic street tree ( along with yellow and purple Tabebiua ) in Darwin. Simply everywhere lol.  And different cultivars with different coloured flowers, all the shades of purple basically.
We have all the Cassias, the fistulas are regarded as 'weedy'  here and are not recommended as they can escape into the bush. Some of the hybrids are sterile ie dont produce seed, they are good to have.
The African Tulip Tree is also an undesirable species and is on the local Govt (s)hit list not to be planted.

Peltophorum pterocarpum (Yellow Flame Tree) is a South East Asian and Top End native. Our city council has been planting them as nature strip trees in my street recently ( yeah, real smart at the height of the Dry Season with no rain expected until October ). Although someone has said to me on another forum they might be 'weedy'  in Southern Florida.
https://www.territorynativeplants.com.au/peltophorum-pterocarpum-yellow-flame-tree

Adansonia digitata

Bombax ceiba

Bougainvillea glabra (often sold as "arborea")

Brachychiton rupestris

Cassia leptophylla

Cecropia peltata

Colvillea racemosa

Delonix decaryi

Eucalyptus deglupta

Ficus auriculata

Jacaranda caerulea

Jacaranda cuspidifolia

Kigelia africana

Macaranga grandifolia

Pachira aquatica

Pseudobombax ellipticum

Pterospermum acerifolium

Radermachera ignea

Schizolobium parahybum

Tabernaemontana (Stemmadenia) litoralis

Xanthostemon chrysantha

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Oh I have a Macaranga. Its the coolest!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Adansonia digitata

Bombax ceiba

Bougainvillea glabra (often sold as "arborea")

Brachychiton rupestris

Cassia leptophylla

Cecropia peltata

Colvillea racemosa

Delonix decaryi

Eucalyptus deglupta

Ficus auriculata

Jacaranda caerulea

Jacaranda cuspidifolia

Kigelia africana

Macaranga grandifolia

Pachira aquatica

Pseudobombax ellipticum

Pterospermum acerifolium

Radermachera ignea

Schizolobium parahybum

Tabernaemontana (Stemmadenia) litoralis

Xanthostemon chrysantha

Thanks for the great suggestions. Any reason why you recommend Ficus auriculata vs Ficus dammaropsis? Any experience with Tabernaemontana litorilis? This is a full sun location in my south facing front yard. Very typical poor, sandy South Forida alkaline soil. I like both of these two trees you suggested the most but have no experience with them and haven't seen them around South Florida. One search I did had people saying they died easily here for some unknown reason. I would love to hear your direct experience or opinions about these trees in Florida. Thanks.

1 hour ago, metalfan said:

Oh I have a Macaranga. Its the coolest!

I have one as well. It is inly about3 feet tall though, seems to be a slow grower overall. 

• Like 1

Here in Hawai`i African Tulip is invasive.  The lighjt seeds float EVERYWHERE.  Darn things even pop up if you somehow damage a root  on an established one.   That said I have one about 30 ' tall, that I planted before I realized how invasive they are.  It's beautiful and my wife won't let me cut it down, but the damm seedlings pop up all over the place.

• Like 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

7 hours ago, greysrigging said:

Peltophorum pterocarpum (Yellow Flame Tree) is a South East Asian and Top End native. ... Although someone has said to me on another forum they might be 'weedy'  in Southern Florida. ...

It is a great tree for S. Florida and I (had) a favorite one in my yard. It grew and flowered so well, but did not handle the winds (tropical storm, Cat. 1 gusts) we had from Hurricane Irma and blew over. It was my only casualty. Not only were the flowers so nice, but the seed pods were also brightly red-bronze in color. I got complements on it. I had so many walk-up requests for its name I made a large name tag for it and hung it from the branches.

In defense of its wind resistance, I could have pruned it better. I had it with a thick, hemispherical crown that was solid with branches. This was just to make it bloom more heavily. I got greedy with the flowers, which probably made it a wind trap.

Ryan

• Like 1

South Florida

Calophyllum (mastwood)

• Like 1

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

1 hour ago, Palmarum said:

It is a great tree for S. Florida and I (had) a favorite one in my yard. It grew and flowered so well, but did not handle the winds (tropical storm, Cat. 1 gusts) we had from Hurricane Irma and blew over. It was my only casualty. Not only were the flowers so nice, but the seed pods were also brightly red-bronze in color. I got complements on it. I had so many walk-up requests for its name I made a large name tag for it and hung it from the branches.

In defense of its wind resistance, I could have pruned it better. I had it with a thick, hemispherical crown that was solid with branches. This was just to make it bloom more heavily. I got greedy with the flowers, which probably made it a wind trap.

Ryan

Interesting.... we regard them as cyclone resistant in the Darwin region, and we sure do get our share of tropical storms. I have a big old specimen in my back yard that is probably 35' tall, and it flowers twice a year, at the begining of the wet ( primary flowering ) and at the end of the wet ( a secondary flowering ). Mine survived our last Cyclone ( cat 2 ), but lost a couple of branches.

1 hour ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Here in Hawai`i African Tulip is invasive.  The lighjt seeds float EVERYWHERE.  Darn things even pop up if you somehow damage a root  on an established one.   That said I have one about 30 ' tall, that I planted before I realized how invasive they are.  It's beautiful and my wife won't let me cut it down, but the damm seedlings pop up all over the place.

Yery invasive in and around Darwin.  They are what we call an  'old school'  tree species, ie one of the first of the exotic flowering trees to become available in the nursury trade 50 years ago. Mainly seen in the older suburbs. Here they attract every bug, white ant, borer known to man, but still survive, albeit looking ratty and tatty. Flowers are pretty, but the seeds and the suckering of the roots is a real pita ! 
The worst thing about them is the flower nectar is poisonous to our native bee species.
https://www.bobthebeeman.com.au/information-documents/african-tulip-tree-ebook/

The Weeping Rosewood ( Pterocarpus indicus ) is a spectacular yellow flowering tree.  When in full leaf and flower, they provide deap shade. climatically would suit Southern Florida
https://www.jcu.edu.au/discover-nature-at-jcu/plants/plants-by-common-name2/pterocarpus-indicus
20201030_124854.thumb.jpg.fae712932bb68a8743b4b52e96fa85cb.jpg20201030_124900.thumb.jpg.6a0865749e8b81c9496361a3a2e8e3e7.jpg20201030_125620.thumb.jpg.293c744b9aaf56dbb1178d0a96c6f8e7.jpg20201030_125652.thumb.jpg.bf0feb20c45f9a8b17fe2935bd06fd80.jpg

Suburban street plantings in Darwin.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, greysrigging said:

Interesting.... we regard them as cyclone resistant in the Darwin region, and we sure do get our share of tropical storms. I have a big old specimen in my back yard that is probably 35' tall, and it flowers twice a year, at the begining of the wet ( primary flowering ) and at the end of the wet ( a secondary flowering ). Mine survived our last Cyclone ( cat 2 ), but lost a couple of branches.

I agree with the noted storm resistance as I heard & researched the same information before I planted mine. It could have just been my bushy tree's habit. I would plant one again. I got a different flowering tree arguing for the same spot though; purple flowers this time.

Ryan

South Florida

46 minutes ago, Palmarum said:

I agree with the noted storm resistance as I heard & researched the same information before I planted mine. It could have just been my bushy tree's habit. I would plant one again. I got a different flowering tree arguing for the same spot though; purple flowers this time.

Ryan

Pride of India ?20201023_144645.thumb.jpg.053b151dba04a0fb164f24db66245b57.jpg20201023_144647.thumb.jpg.15e5a2eb5d1ee48b6fa3b6a47a987756.jpg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

Pride of India ?

Nope, Lonchocarpus violaceus.

Although Pride of India (Queen Crape Myrtles) are very popular here. I found one down the street from me that blooms with light purple, almost lavender-pink colored flowers that is quite different. I haven't been able to get seed from it. Those seed pods and tiny seed are tricky. Most here are of the dark purple kind.

Ryan

• Like 1

South Florida

18 hours ago, chinandega81 said:

Thanks for the great suggestions. Any reason why you recommend Ficus auriculata vs Ficus dammaropsis? Any experience with Tabernaemontana litorilis? This is a full sun location in my south facing front yard. Very typical poor, sandy South Forida alkaline soil. I like both of these two trees you suggested the most but have no experience with them and haven't seen them around South Florida. One search I did had people saying they died easily here for some unknown reason. I would love to hear your direct experience or opinions about these trees in Florida. Thanks.

I have never gotten Ficus dammaropsis to survive here, I have tried several. Not sure why though there are nice specimens at Fairchild and Montgomery.

Ficus auriculata is a great tree. Fast growing, big leaves that first emerge mahogany colored then fade to green. It is also cauliflorous , the figs are borne on short stalks along the lower trunk and branches. Most forms in FL bear inedible fruit but Fairchild has a form with edible figs. It only gets to about 20ft tall but spreads as wide and it isn't an aggressive banyan/strangler type.

Tabernaemontana litoralis (formerly Stemmadenia) is seen occasionally in SoFL.  Grows 10-15ft and bears lots of very fragrant white flowers. It grows well in SoFL.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

'Nong Nooch Pink' and 'USDA Big Pink' are 2 great cultivars of Lagerstroemia speciosa with hot pink flowers. Another tropical species is L. lankawiensis from Malaysia. It has pink flowers but the new growth emerges a maroon red and keeps the color for awhile. Theres a few people in SoFL growing it.

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

You guys have any Golden Penda ( Xanthostemon chrysanthus ) growing ? Its a supurb yellow flowering tree native to the tropical Queensland coast, and is planted extensively in Brisbane, Townsville and Cairns as a street tree.
https://www.territorynativeplants.com.au/xanthostemon-chrysanthus-golden-penda
232028505_Capture.JPGGoldenpenda.JPG.0b6ae760750e96224c73ba0bf5af8c37.JPG800px-Xanthostemon_chrysanthus1.jpg.18b33b13f63c5486b6a9002401979f20.jpg59305981_10157382856559669_4876714749317873664_n.jpg.f416cf620dbce218837254b27551a767.jpg
ST_20210206_5BIGPIC06_6315366.thumb.jpg.1887ec42a295941912adfa632b57e048.jpg
There are a couple in my street in Darwin that flower twice a year, at the beginning and end of the wet season.  The local rainbow lorrikeets and honeyeaters go crazy for the nectar.
20201026_130259.thumb.jpg.f89add2e19fb41e277e3fb4a99d3864b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

You guys have any Golden Penda ( Xanthostemon chrysanthus ) growing ? Its a supurb yellow flowering tree native to the tropical Queensland coast, and is planted extensively in Brisbane, Townsville and Cairns as a street tree. ... There are a couple in my street in Darwin that flower twice a year, at the beginning and end of the wet season.  The local rainbow lorrikeets and honeyeaters go crazy for the nectar.

I have seen it in two collections here in S. Florida but not at any general plant sales I have attended, so I would describe it as fairly rare. I was lucky once to have seen it in flower and it is quite nice. The powderpuff blooms were super yellow, almost chartreuse in color.

Another similar Australian tree I have also seen in flower is Deplanchea tetraphylla, or Golden Bouquet Tree. It was at a nursery and had massive 'bouquets' of yellow flowers that were literally dripping with excess nectar. I also like its more vernacular name of Wallaby Wireless Tree, describing its ability to draw in every animal around.

Ryan

South Florida