IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wodyetia Bifurcata (Foxtail Palm) and advice on where to buy in San Diego?

xxxSDESDExxx

I live in the San Diego, CA area and am looking for 3-5 Foxtail palms That are 25 gallon or larger. When looking at prices on Craigslist, I'm seeing prices $195.00 to $300.00 for $25 gallon. What should I expect to pay for something 25 gallons or larger here in San Diego? Should I be looking for California grown or are Florida grown but acclimated to local California climate and full sun ok to do? I've tried 6-7 foot tall Foxtails from Home Depot, but those didn't fair well, are dyind/dead, and we're too small. I'm looking for instant gratification and trees that are over 10 ft tall, if possible. I appreciate any help you guys and gals can give me. I'm also interested in one Bottle palm and a larger Pygmy Date Palm. Directing me to any nurseries or sellers with quality plants and fair prices would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by xxxSDESDExxx

Thank you, I am going to contact Josh-O in just a bit -- I think I've seen his Craigslist ad, that's if he posts on Craigslist. Anyone have any thoughts on fair pricing (what I should expect to pay) for 25 gallon, or larger, here in San Diego, CA?

Edited by xxxSDESDExxx

I've seen some nice ones in big box stores quite often, but looks like you've already tried that route.

If you can find them, try the hybrid Foxy Lady palms (cross of Foxtail and Veitchia) - they are less finicky and hardier than plain foxtails and grow faster, and they look much better also. Due to the fast growth you can buy a smaller one and it will rocket in no time.

Why limit to foxtails? In San Diego you have the chance to grow so many other, more desirable species, such as Chambeyronia, Rhopalostylis, Hedyscepe, Dypsis (many of them), Cyphophoenix, Kentiopsis, etc, etc.

I've seen some nice ones in big box stores quite often, but looks like you've already tried that route.

If you can find them, try the hybrid Foxy Lady palms (cross of Foxtail and Veitchia) - they are less finicky and hardier than plain foxtails and grow faster, and they look much better also. Due to the fast growth you can buy a smaller one and it will rocket in no time.

Why limit to foxtails? In San Diego you have the chance to grow so many other, more desirable species, such as Chambeyronia, Rhopalostylis, Hedyscepe, Dypsis (many of them), Cyphophoenix, Kentiopsis, etc, etc.

Pando, thanks for the response and help -- I appreciate it :)

The reason I was asking about the Foxtail palm only is because that's the one my wife says she loves -- she also likes the Fishtail Palm (King Kong Palm) but that's going to look funny in front of a 1 story house -- not that the Foxtail won't but potential future growth is a concern. The one's I bought at Home Depot were the 6-7 ft. tall ones that were in 15 gallon containers I believe.

After looking at images of all your suggestions, I know she's going to say that the leaf structure doesn't look like that of a Foxtail palm -- which is what she likes. I am also open to any Palms that won't look ridiculous in front of a 1 story house -- not that my original selection won't :) I am going to show her the Foxy Lady palms as well, to see what she thinks.

Edited by xxxSDESDExxx

I think at that size, you're limiting your seller options which is going to impact the price, of course.

And I have an obtusa in front of my one story. :)

I think at that size, you're limiting your seller options which is going to impact the price, of course.

And I have an obtusa in front of my one story. :)

Matt, as long as that's the price due to demand/supply I don't mind paying it, I just don't want to buy something from the first person I see and end up overpaying and going oops -- I'd rather get the info from everyone here who is experienced so that I'm steered in the right direction :)

Edited by xxxSDESDExxx

Getting some smaller ones (5-15g size) work well also that you can grow in containers for a year or more, or sell if you don't wish to plant out. 5g plants don't cost much, compared to 25g. Choices change over time and you may end up with another species that you really like, and having a bunch of different 5g plants gives you time to decide and experiment.

Larger ones are going to be your 'anchors' in the landscape that you don't want to (or can't) move later on, so you'd want to choose the species and location more carefully.

Joe Palma has some BIG California grown 25gal. Foxtails for $190- I believe. I got 2 from him, and they have done great. The big box stores, and some CL ads, typically have Florida imports, and the price varies so much from one seller to the next. Do a little research, and you WILL find a deal. Good luck, and happy growing.

• Upvote 1

Joe Palma has some BIG California grown 25gal. Foxtails for $190- I believe. I got 2 from him, and they have done great. The big box stores, and some CL ads, typically have Florida imports, and the price varies so much from one seller to the next. Do a little research, and you WILL find a deal. Good luck, and happy growing.

I have contacted him but am just waiting to hear back at the moment -- he was checking on some that had some not for sale tags at one of his suppliers. Seems like an excellent person to deal with so far :)

So I am open to other palms, and really like the look of the the Fishtail Palm (Caryota Gigas) but there is a new problem I never really considered before -- life expectancy of a palm. I read somewhere that the Caryota Gigas may only live about 25 years or so and that's it -- is that true? Let's say the palm is healthy and lives as long as it can, how long can I expect the following palms to live?

Foxtail palm

Fishtail palm

King palm

What are the life expectancies of these palms? I don't want to have to dig something up in 20 years :/

I did try finding this information out, but didn't really couldn't find much.

Edited by xxxSDESDExxx

Found this web-site http://selectree.calpoly.edu/treedetail.lasso?rid=179 ,finally, which estimates between 50-150 for the King Palm. Still need info on the Foxtail life expectancy. And apparently the Caryota Giggas may only live 15-25 years here in San Diego before calling it quits -- that's sad :( such a beautiful palm.

Edited by xxxSDESDExxx

Started looking for these ones and no luck at all :( They are very nice and I'd definitely consider these, but like you said "If you can find them".

David, try posting another thread here about wanted Foxy Lady palm, someone who has them should reply.

Or pm George Sparkman, Neoflora, JoshO

Or check Jungle Music or Rancho Soledad

If you are willing to drive up to south OC, I have a foxtail you can have. It is currently in the ground but we can dig it out no problem.

If you are willing to drive up to south OC, I have a foxtail you can have. It is currently in the ground but we can dig it out no problem.

Wow, that's mighty generous of you but getting it back might be a feat, how big is it? Thank you :)

Edited by xxxSDESDExxx

I will take a picture today and post it. The foxtail is probably 6 feet tall.

Matt, It has been done many times but, I would say they have a 60-70% chance of making it. I have experience with moving scores of them which had 7'+ of trunk. Many made it, but I found that those which were tranported the farthest had a less survival rate. Must be the roots drying out too much from the freeway wind.

David, why don't you PM me?...

Thanks, Ben. I've got a 6 footer that's growing up into a C. obtusa so I've thought about moving it, but have heard they can be touchy when transplanting.