IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lepidorrhachis mooreana

Rafael

good luck

The only seed source is Lord Howe Island and they have stopped sending seeds period ! Not even to Botanical gardens .

Soon to be as unattainable as Juania australis seeds ! :(

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

good luck

The only seed source is Lord Howe Island and they have stopped sending seeds period ! Not even to Botanical gardens .

Soon to be as unattainable as Juania australis seeds ! :(

Those are bad news... :(

None outside of Lord Howe Island are seeding ,not even Pauline Sulivan's in ventura and its about 48 yrs old !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

None outside of Lord Howe Island are seeding ,not even Pauline Sulivan's in ventura and its about 48 yrs old !

It seems that this is a lost case...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
46 minutes ago, Rafael said:

Any change about seeds availability?

Like Troy said. There are none seeding in cultivation.

It's to bad this palm can take up to 60 yrs to flower :( 

The fact the Pauleen's is 48 yrs old and has not flowered yet says alot

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Stay tuned, I will have a lot of cultural information tomorrow.  (but not plants available)  :(

San Francisco, California

On 21/1/2016 3:03:29, Josh-O said:

Like Troy said. There are none seeding in cultivation.

It's to bad this palm can take up to 60 yrs to flower :( 

The fact the Pauleen's is 48 yrs old and has not flowered yet says alot

Rafael, you must wait 12 years more:D

10 minutes ago, Monòver said:

Rafael, you must wait 12 years more:D

hehehehe

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2016‎ ‎9‎:‎21‎:‎26‎, Darold Petty said:

Stay tuned, I will have a lot of cultural information tomorrow.  (but not plants available)  :(

:interesting:  smiley-char054.gif

Lepidorrhachis is not available because the nursery on Lord Howe Island is not in business at this time.  To my knowledge there are no seed-producing plants in cultivation out of habitat.  All my current plants have originated from earlier shipments of seed.  My first plants of the species were  gift seedlings, hand carried from LHI by a friend in 1990.  One of these I ground planted in 1997 as a large 5-gallon sized plant.  It grew rapidly, and produced a trunk 10cm diameter and about 40cm tall by 2005.  It also had several spadices in various stages of maturity.  These two photographs show the palm at approximate age of 16 years.  This palm died from nematodes in 2006, identified as two common pathogens, root knot nematode, and sheath nematode.

Lepidorrhachis does not require 48 years to produce trunk, and it does not require 60 years to flower.

No one has greater respect for the late Pauleen Sullivan than I.  I visited her many times on a 'one-to-one' basis. Her palm in the entry courtyard of the Tonga Apartments is badly grown.  The leafbase scars are so close that there is almost no internode.  It is planted on a small mound higher than the surrounding area and it has been much too dry its entire life.  The summit of Mt. Gower is extremely wet and never dries out.  I have two small plants, one planted five years ago, and a second one planted two years ago.  The more recent one is in a much wetter spot and has already surpassed the first one in size.

I have a third Lepidorrhachis that will show emergent trunk soon, so perhaps I  will be blessed with seeds in the next few years. This palm requires cool temperatures, with only a small differential between day and night temperatures, very bright light, very high humidity, and copious amounts of water.  This is a difficult prescription for California gardens!

palms for message board 008.jpg

Palms 012.jpg

• Upvote 6

I planted a few, had good sucess until I let them dry out and/or vole contribution to killing it. I think I could pull it off if I got a nice 1 gal to try again. :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

9 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Lepidorrhachis is not available because the nursery on Lord Howe Island is not in business at this time.  To my knowledge there are no seed-producing plants in cultivation out of habitat.  All my current plants have originated from earlier shipments of seed.  My first plants of the species were  gift seedlings, hand carried from LHI by a friend in 1990.  One of these I ground planted in 1997 as a large 5-gallon sized plant.  It grew rapidly, and produced a trunk 10cm diameter and about 40cm tall by 2005.  It also had several spadices in various stages of maturity.  These two photographs show the palm at approximate age of 16 years.  This palm died from nematodes in 2006, identified as two common pathogens, root knot nematode, and sheath nematode.

Lepidorrhachis does not require 48 years to produce trunk, and it does not require 60 years to flower.

No one has greater respect for the late Pauleen Sullivan than I.  I visited her many times on a 'one-to-one' basis. Her palm in the entry courtyard of the Tonga Apartments is badly grown.  The leafbase scars are so close that there is almost no internode.  It is planted on a small mound higher than the surrounding area and it has been much too dry its entire life.  The summit of Mt. Gower is extremely wet and never dries out.  I have two small plants, one planted five years ago, and a second one planted two years ago.  The more recent one is in a much wetter spot and has already surpassed the first one in size.

I have a third Lepidorrhachis that will show emergent trunk soon, so perhaps I  will be blessed with seeds in the next few years. This palm requires cool temperatures, with only a small differential between day and night temperatures, very bright light, very high humidity, and copious amounts of water.  This is a difficult prescription for California gardens!

Thanks Darold, for your precious information and impressive pictures. It seems it will be next to impossible to obtain seeds or seedlings in the next few years. I think i have reasonable climate conditions to grow this palmtree (i am sucessfully growing rophie, howea and orianopsis). Let´s wait a while :interesting:

Thank you Darold, fantastic information, and a beautiful palm. Sorry you lost one. Did you manage to get seeds from your last climb up there, or is this place tightly controlled?

LHI is a Unesco World Heritage site, so visitors take only memories, photographs, and souvenir T-shirts. !!!   :winkie:

Last March, 2015, a business person was attempting to re-start the nursery, but I don't know if anything really came of his efforts.  LHI has been supplanted by Norfolk Island in the export of germinated seedlings of Howea forsteriana.  The principal economic activity on LHI since World War II has been tourism. 

• 3 years later...