IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Crotons in winter

Walter John

Hi croton heads,

My crotons , some at least, have dropped many leaves , looking shabby, one's down to a stick of a plant but then................I see new buds coming on, hopefully all will be fine come rainy days and warmer days. I do omit to water them I admit.

What's croton winter experience across the board ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

A bit of leaf wilt with the very dry weather, but not leaf drop. They look fine after a couple of nights of rain. I'd say yours got too dry maybe. Your day temps are a couple of degrees warmer too, so maybe a bit more shock etc.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hi Wal

Normally temps below 10c for a prolonged period will cause leaf-drop. What have your night temps been like lately?

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Hi Wal,

Crotons hate drying winds (hot or cold).  In addition, drier weather brings on spider mites and thrips that love to suck on croton leaves.  The leaves take on a faded appearance and fall from the plant shortly thereafter.  The combination of dry weather and insects can make the plant look shabby throughout the entire  winter.  To minimize these effects, keep the plants moist and rinse off the foliage (especially leaf undersides) from time to time to keep the insects at bay.  If the plant has gotten leggy, wait until the onset of warmer weather and cut the plant back.  Doing this will bring it back faster.

Some croton cultivars are hardier than others.  The more common types like Mortii and Stewartii can handle temps in the low 30's with minimal effects.  Some of the narrow leaf varieties tend to defoliate at higher temps 38-40F.  The rest are somewhere in between.  

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Most of mine hold up very well in the winter and some lose some leaves. The coldest nights in winter in my garden see temps in the upper 30's F.  The older the plant, in my experience, the hardier they are to the cold. All of mine came through the winter with either no leaf loss or up to half of the leaves fallen. I try to keep them on the dry side in the winter.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter