2024 NEW CALEDONIA BIENNIAL REGISTRATION/INFORMATION - Exceptional Adventure ×

Selloum

SunnyFl

I have a selloum that is between 12 & 15 years old and is in the wrong place.  It's now got 2 (at least) main trunks.

Is it possible to separate the two - will it grow from cuttings?  Can a selloum of large size be transplanted, or is it a very difficult procedure?

I don't want to lose the selloum, but I don't want to keep it in its present location.  Advice?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Yes it will grow from cuttings. A neighbor near my grandparents home in Port Charlotte, Fl cut a 6 foot long trunk from their Selloum and tossed it. I salvaged the cutting planting the stem 3 feet deep into the sandy soil around the house. On returning for a visit the following year, the Selloum had rooted and was flourishing.

In Houston a friend gave me another large stem cutting, no roots, and I planted it in my garden. It also easily rooted and is now a massive plant with several long stems.

I would remove about 3/4 of the leaves on the cutting to cut dehydration, keep the cutting well watered until it roots in the new location.

Here is my cutting a few years back after it rooted in.

post-13-1151759907_thumb.jpg

Hey Mike, thanks for the information - it's great to hear that my big bodacious selloum can be relocated.

I'm going to follow your advice on transplanting it - I love it and want it in my new front-yard garden instead of buried under air-potato mess in the back corner.  (Yeah, I'm going to clean that out, and it will be a lot easier without the selloum there.)

It's great you were able to salvage the cutting your grandparents' neighbor was going to toss!  Nice pic, too.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good