• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycad cones and flushes

Urban Rainforest

11-11 was my birthday so I decided to pay Randy Decker a visit in the early morn. I ended up buying a massive E. Kisambo off him! It's at least 15'' in size. I promised him a pic when it was planted, so here it is! Thanks again Randy for the green monster!

Whoa Braden that one is a monster ,you are getting quite the collection up there !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

What crazy guy is going to pic up a 24" wooden box containered 7' tall E. kisambo with a truck with a shell on it???

post-1270-008623400 1289662766_thumb.jpg post-1270-029162100 1289662763_thumb.jpg

BRADON!

He had to drag it to the front of the truck by himself!

I wasn't about to get in there with the two of them...

Who knows going on in there, look at the pics!:D

Randy

test

Happy Birthday Braden!! And a green monster it is :drool: . Your gonna love it!! My Kisambo is one of my favs. Those are classic loading the truck pics.

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

I think Braden and that Kissambo in back is on the limit of that trucks payload.... :D

Braden, did you move that Kissambo after planting it? The first pic looks in a different location than the second two..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Very nice Bradon.

Here is the cycad that got me into it all, my first cycad (aside from revoluta) a Dioon edule I purchased from Jungle Music apx. 5 years ago, pushing a cone for the first time. I'm pretty sure it's a female, but hopefully someone can confirm.

post-1261-072906100 1289756696_thumb.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I think Braden and that Kissambo in back is on the limit of that trucks payload.... :D

Braden, did you move that Kissambo after planting it? The first pic looks in a different location than the second two..

I didn't move it, I just planted more stuff around it!

Braden de Jong

Aha!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I got seeds from a mate of a Cycas circinalis that he had put pollen from a C papuana onto .

This was Jan 05 , they sprouted very fast and grew even faster .

I planted them soon after shifting on to my new place here .

Several flushes later , one looks to be coning .This has a good bit of trunk .

damn external hardrivbe seems to have vanished and thats where I put the pic folder ..

well later folks

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I have removed all foliage on this a few times when weeding and pruning the avocado overhead.

But am still amazed at how fast these things grow . Usually Cycas spp. here are attacked by horrible eaty things and never look any good unless constantly sprayed with insecticides . :angry: The revoluta I planted out the front in the open has not been attacked yet .

I thought this flush was going to be leaves and had removed half the foliage when planting out around this area a few months ago

post-354-076475000 1289857782_thumb.jpg

post-354-048409800 1289858043_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just bumping this thread up so I can find it later....spectacular cycads!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice Bradon.

Here is the cycad that got me into it all, my first cycad (aside from revoluta) a Dioon edule I purchased from Jungle Music apx. 5 years ago, pushing a cone for the first time. I'm pretty sure it's a female, but hopefully someone can confirm.

post-1261-072906100 1289756696_thumb.jpg

Matt,

I can't tell what that is; it doesn't look like a male or female cone. Instead, it almost appears to be a set of cataphylls just prior to a flush of leaves. Do you have a more recent photo?

Jody

I visited today the old E.laurentianus, whith open cones( is a male) Someone needs pollen?

P1010987.JPG

P1010989.JPG

P1010991.JPG

P1010988.JPG

Wow! How much cold has that plant been exposed to in Espana?--

Best regards

Ed

Matt,

I can't tell what that is; it doesn't look like a male or female cone. Instead, it almost appears to be a set of cataphylls just prior to a flush of leaves. Do you have a more recent photo?

Jody

Hi Jody,

Here is a pic I just took, but it came out blury. This thing is just a huge column of fuzz pushing out from this baby. I have a male D. edule and it looks nothing like this one. I'll have to get a better pic.

post-1261-081408600 1293411509_thumb.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Hey Matt

It's definitely a female cone. That is how mine started out earlier in the year. I'll take a pic of it now to show you. It's kinda like a cone flattened out and as time passes, it gradually elongates. It is really weird looking. I thought it was a new flush in the beginning as well.

Jody ... does this happen with most female Dioon's?

Tin

Edited by tinman10101

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

Excellent Tin, look forward to the pic.

Matt in Temecula, CA

About six months ago, I had written of a large mature specimen of a light blue coloured C. circinalis that I found. I tried planting a sucker from this individual in a pot but it had not shown any sign of activity yet refused to rot or decay. Therefore it was without much hope that I planted these further two suckers on November 04.

This is one of the two at the time of planting.

DSCF0088.jpg

Here they are today! Quite a solid bit of growth, that too in winter although there is no hint of any blue. I hope this is sustained.

DSCF0292.jpg

DSCF0291.jpg

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Excellent Tin, look forward to the pic.

Matt

Here are the pics of the female cone forming. You can see how yours will eventually elongate over time. I had male pollen but just let it spent since this was the first time this plant has coned. I tried to take pics from different angles.

Cheers!

Tin

post-3188-025842600 1293494984_thumb.jpg

post-3188-071880600 1293494989_thumb.jpg

post-3188-008585700 1293494996_thumb.jpg

post-3188-081474100 1293495002_thumb.jpg

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

Hi Jody,

Here is a pic I just took, but it came out blury. This thing is just a huge column of fuzz pushing out from this baby. I have a male D. edule and it looks nothing like this one. I'll have to get a better pic.

Matt, I think it is a female cone... albeit aberrant. I saw a similar photo of a D. edule female cone just yesterday that was more fully emerged.

Jody

Very nice Tin, how long has she taken to push it out. Mine has been pushing that cone for at least 3 months already.

Thank you Jody, I'll post an update pic as it pushes out.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Very nice Tin, how long has she taken to push it out. Mine has been pushing that cone for at least 3 months already.

Thank you Jody, I'll post an update pic as it pushes out.

Matt

It has taken a long long time. I would say at least 6-7 months.

Jody ... do you think it would do any harm if I cut it off?

Thanks

Tin

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

Randy,

Beautiful cone pics mister. Pics like these just affirm my Cycaddiction.

I can ID a few of them, but could you list the names for reference.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Randy,

Which ones do you know addicted one!:winkie:

test

Randy,

Which ones do you know addicted one!:winkie:

C'mon now, you've posted pics of your munchii at least a hundred times, that's an easy one, and ferox slaps ya in the face like this, SMACK :D

Matt in Temecula, CA

Thanks

Tin

Not at all, Tin. It won't hurt to cut it off or leave it on.

Jody

Thanks

Tin

Not at all, Tin. It won't hurt to cut it off or leave it on.

Jody

I agree with Jody, do what you want. I find it more attractive to leave cones on.

Randy

test

Thanks Jody and Randy for your advice. The weather seems to be so up and down that some of my cycads in the ground are flushing again. It is really odd weather we are having as of late.

Cheers!

Tin

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

I rarely add here, because I .... well, I dunno..

BUT! I picked these up a little while back from a collector.

First one, standard Cycas seximinefera I believe..

post-27-049397700 1294004116_thumb.jpg

the next one, not so sure... and either was the sellar.. he doesn't really like to sell, generally wants to plant everything..

He grew both from seed and this came in a batch as "Cycas north vietnam"... some were later decided to be Cycas fugax... which I saw and were awesome!! Holding only one or two giant leaves...

The others may be seximinefera or something else.. But he allowed this one to go as he was not sure whether it was a runt or a hybrid... (runt fugax maybe?) Anyway, if its a hybrid, I think it will be cool!! no spines..

Any ideas or thoughts??

post-27-060054000 1294004220_thumb.jpg

This pic is probabaly more accurate... a flush on my cycas debaoensis in the ground. In January. With temps well down in the 30'sF :(

Covering with a 5 gal bucket when temps below 40F at night...

post-27-003462500 1294004781_thumb.jpg

Getting a bit looser .

post-354-045279700 1294005517_thumb.jpg

My first peek inside .

post-354-053224500 1294005610_thumb.jpg

And I can see the next flush of leaves .

Hybrid Cycas papuana x circinalis :unsure:

I rarely add here, because I .... well, I dunno..

BUT! I picked these up a little while back from a collector.

First one, standard Cycas seximinefera I believe..

post-27-049397700 1294004116_thumb.jpg

the next one, not so sure... and either was the sellar.. he doesn't really like to sell, generally wants to plant everything..

He grew both from seed and this came in a batch as "Cycas north vietnam"... some were later decided to be Cycas fugax... which I saw and were awesome!! Holding only one or two giant leaves...

The others may be seximinefera or something else.. But he allowed this one to go as he was not sure whether it was a runt or a hybrid... (runt fugax maybe?) Anyway, if its a hybrid, I think it will be cool!! no spines..

Any ideas or thoughts??

post-27-060054000 1294004220_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I can't tell yet if you're Cycas is a fugax, do you know the exact location where this plant come from? C. fugax only come from a very restricted area in Vietnam, you can see some pictures I took last summer here: http://cycadforum.co.za/index.php?topic=2362.0

Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic of the leaf of the big female bearing seeds, the leaf was about 3,5-4 meters, very impressive.

Simon

Thanks Simon... I also decided to open a thread about it... plus I need to register to see your pics... will do soon.