• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycad cones and flushes

Urban Rainforest

This Male stud after some time rooting out looks as he is starting to swell and will hopefully make a nice little flush...

photo5.jpg

Lets keep on the positive side, Stevo im sure with the amount of pollen you used and the technique you will have plenty of viable seed. Here are a few updated shots of some previous plants that i was waiting for something to do or already doing something.

the point of my earlier post was just to let Steve know that just because the seed sank with the sarcotesta on was not an indication that the seed was going to be viable...you gotta cut a few and see what's going on inside. No point in spending the time it takes to clean a whole cone of seeds that are no good.

i too got excited the first time i saw seeds sink after pulling them from the cone and throwing them in a bucket of water...only to start cutting and find no sign of life inside.

it happens.

ending on a postive note:

let's hope for the best! That will be an awesome cross! :D

Lets keep on the positive side, Stevo im sure with the amount of pollen you used and the technique you will have plenty of viable seed. Here are a few updated shots of some previous plants that i was waiting for something to do or already doing something.

the point of my earlier post was just to let Steve know that just because the seed sank with the sarcotesta on was not an indication that the seed was going to be viable...you gotta cut a few and see what's going on inside. No point in spending the time it takes to clean a whole cone of seeds that are no good.

i too got excited the first time i saw seeds sink after pulling them from the cone and throwing them in a bucket of water...only to start cutting and find no sign of life inside.

it happens.

ending on a postive note:

let's hope for the best! That will be an awesome cross! :D

Burt, Thanks for all the info. I did cut into 4 seed and did not find a suspenser coil however it does look like they have imature embryos. On one website it shows very good pics and explains that on Encephalartos there is a holding period of opprox. 6 months. Is it possible the suspensor coil will develope in this "holding period"? Thanks guys for helping a newbie out!

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Palmfreek, Your plants are looking good brutha!!

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Palmfreek, Your plants are looking good brutha!!

Stevo

Thanks Stevo, yours looks like it is not doing to bad either. with some time you will be able to tell a little more whether or not there is an embryo or not, if there is something in there im sure you are good. next time your up at pogos youll have to have him swing you by and check out the yard.

Is it possible the suspensor coil will develope in this "holding period"? Thanks guys for helping a newbie out!

Stevo

the short answer is no...in order for the seed to become fertile in the first place, the suspensor coil is there and in place....think of the suspensor as the "umbilical cord".

Jody could explain how the seed develops and becomes fertile WAY better than i could Steve....

Stevo you have some nice stuff! I'll see you saturday afternoon or sunday morning. I am staying in S.D. saturday night.

Okay now for E. munchii male coneing pics;

7/12/10

post-1270-12801794027647_thumb.jpg post-1270-1280179447227_thumb.jpg

7/14/10

post-1270-12801794538705_thumb.jpg

post-1270-12801794652174_thumb.jpg

7/15/10

post-1270-12801796683268_thumb.jpg

post-1270-12801796798716_thumb.jpg

more pics comming

test

Burt, Thanks for all the info. I did cut into 4 seed and did not find a suspenser coil however it does look like they have imature embryos. On one website it shows very good pics and explains that on Encephalartos there is a holding period of opprox. 6 months. Is it possible the suspensor coil will develope in this "holding period"? Thanks guys for helping a newbie out!

Stevo

Stevo, I am no expert in cycad seed development, but I can say that if there is an immature embryo then the seed is viable whether or not you are able to see a suspensor. A lot of times it just depends on how you cut a seed as to whether you can see the susponsor and/or the embryo. Can you post a photo of what you are thinking looks like an immature embryo?

Jody

Here is my biggest horridus, just flushed 30 leaves

Big E. horridus small pic! Palmzilla give us a bigger pic to look at.

test

Here are some better shots for yah Randy, it has 16'' of trunk height and 4 feet overall height

post-811-12802546527264_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Braden de Jong

I have this big E. trispinosus that is coning for the fist time. The cone has been coming out now for about 3 weeks or so. I have been thinking it's a male cone since day one I saw it, but lately I am confused thinking it's starting to look like a female since it has been getting fatter/bigger. Any thoughts out there??? What do you fellas think??? :interesting:

post-811-12802561017_thumb.jpg

Braden de Jong

That's a monster E. horridusdrool.gif ! Let's hope for a female cone. Male cones get just over 3".

Randy

test

Braden, That Horridus is a fatty :drool: . Looks to be a very old plant. Nice coneage on the tri and that Whitelock looks to be about the size of mine! Nice score.

Stevo

This Zamia purpurea is taking forever to poke out these male cones .

post-354-12802986108924_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Here is a E.whitelockii with my coyote dog

Hi Braden,

I have an E. trispinosis coning looking a lot like yours but not quite as far along. Did you find out if it's female. If she's a girl mine needs a boyfriend.

M Dub

post-728-1280339532527_thumb.jpg

post-728-12803395088765_thumb.jpg

post-728-12803394980333_thumb.jpg

HB, CA,  one mile from ocean.

Zone not bad

Here is a E.whitelockii with my coyote dog

Hi Braden,

I have an E. trispinosis coning looking a lot like yours but not quite as far along. Did you find out if it's female. If she's a girl mine needs a boyfriend.

M Dub

post-728-1280339532527_thumb.jpg

post-728-12803395088765_thumb.jpg

post-728-12803394980333_thumb.jpg

I have had about 10 people say they think it's a female, 0 votes for male. I am keeping my fingers crossed it's a female, I've had several male cones in my collection but yet to have a confirmed female encephalartos cone for me.

Braden de Jong

Mostly Zamias in the yard. This is one of three not-very-variegated Z. variegata, which held up well in last winter's cold.

post-275-12804058695026_thumb.jpg

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Here is a little E. horridus that threw 3 cool little colored leaves....

photo10.jpg

photo9.jpg

Palmfreek,

I have one the same as yours and was commented as trispinosus rather than a horridus by expert. What is your opinion on this?

thanks,

David

This Male stud after some time rooting out looks as he is starting to swell and will hopefully make a nice little flush...

photo5.jpg

Hi Palmfreek,

Is this a natalensis x woodii backcross(F2)?

-David

Palmfreek,

I have one the same as yours and was commented as trispinosus rather than a horridus by expert. What is your opinion on this?

thanks,

David

David, I do not consider myself an expert, but I can say with a high degree of certainty that your plant is E. horridus.

Jody

Hey david,

Jody is right the plant is a horridus for sure i bought 4 of these at the same time and have a couple larger ones as well,

the other photo is a woodii 100% true blooded

Hey david,

Jody is right the plant is a horridus for sure i bought 4 of these at the same time and have a couple larger ones as well,

the other photo is a woodii 100% true blooded

Thank Jody and Palmfreek,

Wow...that's the famous woodii. The reason I guess as an F2 because mine looks very similar. Here is the photo.

Very interesting,

David

post-4591-12806315365058_thumb.jpg

Edited by Madchemis

Madchem,

It does look alike but is not the same looking at your picture. The leaflets on my plant are much wider where as yours has a slender natalensis look to it still. Im sure your plant will turn out to be a beauty and maybe down the road with f3's or f4's it might turn out to be really close to the real deal.

Freek