• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycad cones and flushes

Urban Rainforest

George and others, here are some more E horridus photos, Days 2 to 7...more to come:

Day2-7.jpg

Edited by xerophyte_nyc
  • Like 1

Long Island, NY

Zone 7A

silk palm trees grow well all year in my zone

:P

Looks like she's putting out a really nice flush xerophyte.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I have decided I like those Encephalartos. Pity they are so slow... hence expensive!!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

George and others, here are some more E horridus photos, Days 2 to 7...more to come:

Day2-7.jpg

The early pix look like starving little birdies waiting to be fed!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Just thought I would upload a photo of just two of my Cycas Revolutas which are currently putting up new flushes. I know most of you probably wont be impressed since these are so incredibly common and really aren't anything special. For some reason I just love these the most. Not that I don't like all the other incredible varieties mind you. I think some of it may do with the fact I have limited space, and these do the best in the climate where I am and can stand to be outdoors for a good 8-9 months out of the year.

The closest one started in the beginning of may, the farther one just a couple of weeks ago. Once these things get above several inches long it takes almost no time for them to really take off and get huge quick! I currently have 6 of these "King Sago Palms" and these two are the largest in terms of caudex circumference and in leaf length. I have two others which are actually taller in terms of trunk height, but have somewhat shorter leaves.

113097120-a0e04162ac8b33bd665e1a02f45b5174.4c0fe4b0-full.jpg

Here is a close up of the one that is farther away in the above photo:

113101997-779f29fbbdace1b9a10ff94096df9dde.4c0febb8-full.jpg

Dioon spinulosum, recent flush:

post-157-12761139767164_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Ok, so for some reason that did not work. Lets try this one more time.....

Just thought I would upload a photo of just two of my Cycas Revolutas which are currently putting up new flushes. I know most of you probably wont be impressed since these are so incredibly common and really aren't anything special. For some reason I just love these the most. Not that I don't like all the other incredible varieties mind you. I think some of it may do with the fact I have limited space, and these do the best in the climate where I am and can stand to be outdoors for a good 8-9 months out of the year.

The closest one started in the beginning of may, the farther one just a couple of weeks ago. Once these things get above several inches long it takes almost no time for them to really take off and get huge quick! I currently have 6 of these "King Sago Palms" and these two are the largest in terms of caudex circumference and in leaf length. I have two others which are actually taller in terms of trunk height, but have somewhat shorter leaves.

FrontStoopCycads.jpg

Here is a close up of the one that is farther away in the above photo:

Largesagoflushclose.jpg

Nice Revolutas DCA, even though it's one of the most common, it's an excellent looking cycad when well grown, like yours, and they just get better and better with time.

Excellent Braden, let's see an update on that Latifrons

Here is the latest from my above coneage on a Cycas guizhoensis X revoluta

089.jpg

• Like 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Took these photos of Cycas armstrongii this morning.

Group flushing

post-4226-12763123889719_thumb.jpg

Another group flushing (with an odd "usually one in the crowd").

post-4226-12763124555877_thumb.jpg

Cone

post-4226-12763125513673_thumb.jpg

Another cone

post-4226-12763125984097_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Like others, as we are rolling into our june gloom/ summer months and things start to warm up. Cycads start to push. here are a few from this morning ill take some more of others later.

Here is a Little Arenarius just starting to show a fresh push...

cycad1.jpg

Another Arenarius well into its flush...

cycad2.jpg

• Like 1

Here are a few that I have high hopes for as they are starting to swell up nicely

A larger Arenarius...

cycad10.jpg

cycad11.jpg

• Like 1

A Cycas taitungensis which has split into two heads with a male cone on each head.

P1090949.jpg

The "True Blue" arenarius form with the destinctive female cone.

P1090950.jpg

A nice flush on an Encephalartos inopinus

P1090948.jpg

• Like 1

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

And some rarer cycas species:

Cycas pectinata

P1100011.jpg

Cycas fairylakea

P1100012.jpg

Cycas segmentifida

P1100014.jpg

Cycas sexseminifera.....probably the smallest cycas cone I've ever seen

P1100016.jpg

Bruce

• Like 1

Nice Bruce, that arenarius is awesome, i am waiting for my larger one to cone maybe this is its year. How large where your plants before coning? That inopinus is a nice plant as well one of my favorite if you get a real blue one.

Thanks Bob, ill have to swing by your house and check out the garden, im sure it is looking good as ever. Seems this year for me everything took off. My guess is the rain and a few years everything is tapped in and going for it.

Braden, Looks like things are pushing for you as well. Thats killer, ill have to come down and check the nursery out. looks like you really got everything under control.

Nice Bruce, that arenarius is awesome, i am waiting for my larger one to cone maybe this is its year. How large where your plants before coning? That inopinus is a nice plant as well one of my favorite if you get a real blue one.

Thanks Bob, ill have to swing by your house and check out the garden, im sure it is looking good as ever. Seems this year for me everything took off. My guess is the rain and a few years everything is tapped in and going for it.

Braden, Looks like things are pushing for you as well. Thats killer, ill have to come down and check the nursery out. looks like you really got everything under control.

My "Blue" arenarius coned at about 10" I have 4 which came directly from the farm in Alexandria in South Africa and three of the plants coned female, a friend has at least 30 of the plants so I've been able to get pollen from him.

Bruce,

mine is almost 10" maybe by the time it pushes its cone out itll be 11 haha if i do get

a cone maybe we can work a deal out for pollen.

Is that inopinus at your house i dont remember seeing it the last few times ive been there.

Brett

Here is a couple pics of the first Cycad that I ever bought. It was a 2 leaf seedling and now has a caudex the size of a basketball! Encephalartos Gratus winding up for a big throw.

Stevopost-351-12765778800897_thumb.jpgpost-351-12765779335385_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

I love the new flush on this one. Dioon Merolae in all It's fuzzyness with a 13 leave flush.

Stevopost-351-12765782161051_thumb.jpgpost-351-12765782579284_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

NICE STEVO! Your cycads look way bigger now, that tri below your gratus looks great, I like the form. Lets see a pic of the whitelockii from a distance :drool:

Braden de Jong

Here he is finishing off, getting ready to dump a load of pollen.

Cycas guizhouensis X revoluta male cone

269x.jpg

close up of the above showing the sporophylls spreading with the pollen capsules or sporangia (I had to look that one up :) ) inside.

265x.jpg

• Like 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Great pic Matt!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Matt nice cone! Lets pollinate a Cycas revoluta with it!

Encephalartos natalensis squibe form flushing 6' + leaves

post-1270-12769704550247_thumb.jpg

E. senticosus flushing also 6' +leaves

post-1270-12769704673621_thumb.jpg

post-1270-12769705282159_thumb.jpg

E. longifolius blue form flushing

post-1270-12769705179708_thumb.jpg

More pics comming

• Like 1

test

E. horridus stetlerville form flushing

post-1270-12769735799213_thumb.jpg

My e. munchii flush in previous pic in this thread has parked it's flushangry.gif .

Regards, Randy

• Like 1

test

269x.jpg

close up of the above showing the sporophylls spreading with the pollen capsules or sporangia (I had to look that one up :) ) inside.

265x.jpg

Matt.... Are pics like that allowed on PalmTalk ? :D

• Like 1

Matt.... Are pics like that allowed on PalmTalk ? :D

Maybe I should have covered up the private parts :)

Matt in Temecula, CA

Heres a cone off my crested cycas revoluta. its about 8 cones in 1. I currently have it air drying in hopes of preserving it. anyone else do such a crazy thing to a cycad cone?

Luke

post-741-12772150842586_thumb.jpg

post-741-12772151027575_thumb.jpg

post-741-12772151285822_thumb.jpg

post-741-12772151399112_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

My suspected "golden" Cycas Revoluta is pushing out a new flush of leaves again.

Fingers cross but they do look pretty yellow so far.

post-1017-12777723040097_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/