IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ANNOUNCING A SPANISH LANGUAGE SUB-FORUM

PALM MOD

So Don, I can take classes in Portuguese here in San Diego, will I be incomprehensible if I am blurting out phrases in Continental Portuguese? (With an American accent?) Should I seek Brazilian Portuguese to be understood? Languages are a hobby for me, I want to learn a bit before I come south, just for the fun of it.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I´ve never learned Spanish but it´s easier for me to understand and read it then English, a language I studied many years! Strange...!? But this forum in English is a very good chance I have to read and I´m also forced to write in English, a usefull exercise!

I also think that a lot brazilians now can participate , using ´´portuñol´´(português x español) and it will be usefull to learn Cervantes language!

PS After posted I read my post again and saw that I wrote :´´wright´´ in place of write! :)

Edited by Alberto

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Alberto,

My suppliers in Boa Vista tend to speak Portuñol when dealing with the Venezuelans. I have yet to see one of them actually speak Spanish. But, interestingly enough the Venezuelans normally do speak more Portuguese with them. In Sourth Florida where the Brazilians are the second largest immigrant group after Cubans you also rarely see a Brazilian speak Spanish. I guess speaking a form of Spanish sounding Portuguese works well enough. But, then again Cubans don't even speak Spanish for the most part, they speak Spanglish.

Kim,

I think the probablity is that if you study Portuguese there it would more than likely be the Brazilian variety. But, if not you would still be understood. Just like between England and the USA there are uses for words that vary as well as expressions. I actually learned Spanish before Portuguese. Interestly there is a move to unify the Portuguese language spoken around the world with a standardization of the written language. But, I just read last week that there is growing resistance from Portugal against this. This reform would drop certain accent marks and standardize spelling. I guess sort of like making color and colour or similar differences in English only one word.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Estoy entusiasmado! Leo este post con retraso y me falta tiempo para contestar y avisar a cuantos amigos tengo dentro de nuestra aficion a las palmeras.

No he tenido nunca problemas para seguir el foro en ingles, pero me falta un poco de soltura para expresarme, asi que creo que la alternativa es genial.

Ahora visitare Palmtalk cada dia y no de vez en cuando.

Saludos.

Alicante (East coast of Spain)

Mediterranean climate, very hot and dry summers and mild almost frost-free winters.

Poor rain average.

Estoy entusiasmado! Leo este post con retraso y me falta tiempo para contestar y avisar a cuantos amigos tengo dentro de nuestra aficion a las palmeras.

No he tenido nunca problemas para seguir el foro en ingles, pero me falta un poco de soltura para expresarme, asi que creo que la alternativa es genial.

Ahora visitare Palmtalk cada dia y no de vez en cuando.

Saludos.

This is a great idea!! -muchas gracias

Mi estimado canelgat, ya no solo nos veremos por el foro de infojardin.. ahora tambien por aqui podremos compartir esta bella aficion por las palmeras

Un saludo

Hola paco

Es una gran oportunidad para que más gente ensamble Palmtalk y compartir su conocimiento, más, es una prima para para aprender respetos poco españoles

Saludas

colin

Hi Colin!!(many thanks for your seeds)

Even though you are saying that you don't respect spaniards :huh: hahaha, I hope you will respect us one day :rolleyes:

We are nice people, and we have been growing palms for thousands of years, palms have been considered by the Spanish culture as sacred, mistic and always a sign of distinction, ¡¡We love palms!!.

We love australian palms, they seem to enjoy our warm/temperate climate since its very similar to a lot of areas of Australia, and like in Australia we have a huge range of different climatic conditions, form high mountains, cool humid forests, mediterranean region, desertic areas as well as subtropical. Unfortunately we don´t have equatorial climate, but ey Latin American friends have a great tropical "continent" rich and beautiful with lots of native palms.

For latin based language speakers like Portuguese, Italian, and even French, spanish is not a very different language, if I read portuguese I will understand easily 85%, and probably is the same the way arround. I believe "Portuñol" will be very welcome here.

I know a few spanish-speakers palm enthusiasts with lots of experience and knowledge about palms, that will be delighted to contribute in this new sub-forum about to start.

Believe it or not, I learned English because of palms. I moved from Spain to Florida because of palms and I study what I study because of them (even though London doesn't have a lot of palms).

Palms can be a great excuse to learn anything you might want to.

Canelgat y Palmetro (Mamalinsky): un placer coincidir con vosotros por aquí. Estoy seguro de que todos los compañeros de Infojardín serán una grán aportación para este foro.

Edited by Pacoralvarez

"Not the straight angle that attracts me, nor straight, hard, inflexible, created by man. What attracts me is the free and sensual curve, the curves that find in the mountains of my country, in the course of its winding rivers, the sea waves, the body of the woman preferred. Curves is done throughout the universe, the universe of Einstein's curved." -Oscar Niemeyer

Hi John

Disculpe mi español

Saludos

Colin

ja ja ja!!! ROTFLMAO! Ja ja ja!

:floor:

All joking aside, I was very excited to see the new sub-forum. It will give many of us a chance to brush up on our Spanish (reading, at least).

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

It is now "open for business."

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Have fun with the new sub-forum. I don't think I would be learning Spanish anytime soon. I am bilingual already... only not Spanish and I think English was bad enough language to learn. I hope the Spanish speaking people would still post in the general forum.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Me alegra saber que la familia de PalmTalk va a crecer tanto en numero como en conocimiento.

Para aquellos que aún no hablan español, esta puede ser una buena oportunidad para aprender.

Estoy seguro de que todos saldremos ganando.

Saludos.

Paco.

Hi Paco, I need to learn english too. This is a very good oportunity.

I hope to translate my post in this forum.

Traducción:

Hola paco, yo tambien necesito aprender inglés y esta es una buena oprtunidad.

Yo espero traducir mis apariciones in este foro.

Saludos

Bay

Datos del aeropuerto de Gando. Vivo a 1 Km

60030.gif

Visita el blog: PALMETUM DE MASPALOMAS

Hola!

Como dije ayer, me alegra saber que hay un rinconcito en IPS para los palmeroadictos/as hispanohablantes. El inglés es un idioma que me gusta bastante, sin embargo, aún no me he animado a aprenderlo ''como toca'' (aunque eso no quita que no utilice, cuando haga falta, el traductor de Google :P ).

Abrazos!

Sur de Mallorca (39º 58′ 0″ N) - Zona USDA 9b/10a

Hola!!!

Muuuyyyy buena noticia :D

Este foro, ahora, empieza a ser un poco más internacional.

Felicidades por la inteligente decisión ;)

Saludos,

Carlos

I've been laying low for awhile, so this is new to me. I don't speak much Spanish, but I think it's a great idea. I can try to follow along and learn without having people give me blank stares as to what I said...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I've been laying low for awhile, so this is new to me. I don't speak much Spanish, but I think it's a great idea. I can try to follow along and learn without having people give me blank stares as to what I said...

Inténtalo, prometo no reírme... :P

Por cierto, ¿Cómo van tus semillas de Inga y de Pouteria? Espero que muy bien...

Un cordial saludo,