IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Borassus flabellifer germinados!!

Mónica

Hola!!

Hoy me dio por ver cómo andaban las 3 semillas que me envió Kris, y que recibí el 14/10/08..., y me encontré con que dos ¡¡¡había germinado!!

Temperatura: ambiente: 15-20º.

Sustrato: universal de Compo.

''Ubicación'': en una bandeja de corcho (no tenía tuppers, ni germinadores, ni ná de ná :mrlooney: )

Fotos de la mayor:

post-1752-1226000680_thumb.jpg

post-1752-1226000702_thumb.jpg

Ya hay Borassus en Mallorca!! :drool::drool:

• Upvote 2

Sur de Mallorca (39º 58′ 0″ N) - Zona USDA 9b/10a

I wish to share here few stills & methods adopted by my friends to whom i had sent these palmyra seeds for the year 2008.the big ones are big mama while those that look small are all standard fruticas type.

In this still you can see how the seeds were packed,here you see one standard form(SA2) & rest (B2),(F3) are big mama !

IMG_0001_33.jpg

From now the germination stills will follow,of various members..

bo_germ_JeffInModesota02.jpg

bosprout_JeffModeset01.jpg

• Upvote 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Gemonadude_1.jpg

Gemonadude_3.jpg

Gemonadude_4.jpg

The germinated seeds were placed in cutaway portion of drainage pipes..

Gemonadude_2.jpg

And by the way if you all have any experience with these palmyra seeds germination,kindly feel free to share your experiences here in this lovely thread..and also kindly post the updates as to how they are all doing in the following months ! Since it will really be of some use for all in the future..

Love,

Kris :)

• Upvote 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here is a useful link for all of you,since germinating a fresh seed is easy but after that to protect it from Damp-Off ! is bit too tricky. :wacko:

Here is a useful Link ! for you all.. :rolleyes:

Love,

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hi, Kris.

Thanks for any information given.

I tell you a little like the thing is:

The experiment Borassus flabellifer in Mallorca is divided into two parts:

The first one I have taken the seeds germinated at a nursery of cactus that's in my village.

-The second: the other 2 got into the house.

The idea is to find out what differences there are between one who receives constant heat (min. 10 ° and a maximum of 30 degrees of glass), and between the other two that have a maximum of 20 º and 10 º minimum.

Although it is likely that this experiment is divided into a third.

-A seed in the nursery.

-Another in house.

-And another ... Why not in my ''greenhouse'' without regulatory temperatures? Would have minimal 7º ...

As for the pot: you know those bottles of 10 liters of water? I had thought about taking two, and paste them, and there sow the seed ... I fail to find deep pots ...

I will put pictures each month.

Kisses, and forgive my English. :P:)

• Upvote 1

Y para que no falte esta: Los Borassus flabellifer de Kris recién sembrados en el Ayuntamiento de Santa Cruz de Tenerife.... en los tubos... hace casi un año.

P1010143_redimensionar.jpg

Carlo

• Upvote 1

Hello Monica :)

your english is very sweet,may be even better than mine,since even iam not a english man !

Here are some useful links for you all...

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Borassus/flabelliferB.html

http://www.infojardin.com/foro/showthread....717&page=17

And i must say that a minimium of 1 and half feet by 1 and half feet & 1 and half feet deep pot will do.the following post i will demonstrate to you & all that i grow borassus every year just for my materials needed for germination thread..or you must fabricate using drainage pipes as shown by on of our member living in coasta rica or as demonstrated by my friend carlo's in the above still ! :hmm:

Love,

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

These young Palmyra saplings were simply put in 2 liter mineral water bottle,just incase if any local friend of mine wants to grow it in their gardens.all they have to do is to cut the plastic bottle and dig a pit and place it on the ground in early summer season ! :lol:

IMG_0012.jpg

Lots of love to all the Palmyra fan out there..

• Upvote 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hello.

Clay pots? It would not take force to remove the palm tree then, jaja

Thanks for the photos and links.

Well, they can not do much damage to be 1 year in a pot of 50cm deep, no?

Anyway. Kisses.

• Upvote 1

Hi Monica :)

here is another update from our member,living in costa rica...

AdolfoGarca_BorrasusF_Experience01.jpg

Lots of love,

By the way i must say that folks here have taken seed germination work to the next level(Hi Tech) and as some have pointed out in various threads,that its an art to grow rare palms...seeing all the above stills i have started believing that fact !

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 1 month later...

Hai to all friends here,here are some visuals of the palmyra seeds germination..this is my most successeful method.i do this every year with 2 to 3 seeds.

Here is a demonstration of type I

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

• Upvote 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Cont..

Seed Socking For 2 to 3 days but one day of socking is sufficient for fresh seeds ! :hmm:

IMG_1450.jpg

Top Side..

IMG_1476.jpg

Bottom Side..

IMG_1477.jpg

Air Drying for 30 minutes..under a celing fan :winkie:

IMG_1528.jpg

• Upvote 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Cont..

This is the big industrial barrel where i grow all my heavy trunking palms... :)

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

This barrel is tagged with all the information using a white cryon pencil..

IMG_1698.jpg

• Upvote 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Cont...

Steel mesh is used as a safe guard against Notorious squrieal attacks..

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

This barrel is gently watered and by the way the barrel is in our roof top garden under full sunlight and we are in our wet winters and the temperature is around 78 to 84 degrees farenheat.

IMG_1702.jpg

A close-Up ! :winkie:

IMG_1703.jpg

Love,

And by the way i will keep you all updated as to how its doing...

• Upvote 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thanks, Kris, for your messages of Borassus.

My Borassus:

post-1752-1229943094_thumb.jpg

I do not know if it goes well... :unsure:

Regards,

• Upvote 1

HOLA

Es mas una para en la peninsula iberica sur ,elegar uno invierno mas tramado e murir?en las canarias e madeira tiene futuro.

el sur da europa no es la india en clima.

saludos

Okay today lets see the visuals of the second method i used for the palmyra seeds germination,this is usually the method i follow every year for the benefit of our forum members ! :) But this time i have planted just one seed in this cement pots,since if this comes through well,who know's i may even plant it on the ground.. :hmm:

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Cont..

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

This is the cement pot i always use,it been very lucky for the palmyra seeds germination.. :)

IMG_1754.jpg

Now all i do is dig a small hole in the center of this pot and while filling this pit i use some perilite too !

IMG_1755.jpg

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Cont..

Now i place the seed in this dug up pit ! and while holding this seed,i as my assistant to start filling this pit with some perilite and the top completely covered with sandy soil_that's it ! :rolleyes:

IMG_1756.jpg

'Fill it,shut it,forget it' _ is the Slogan of the hour ! :mrlooney: Rest in the hands of mother nature & my doggies,Since they were curious as to what is happening in this big pot.. :huh: 'Bigger the better' _ i mean the pot we use for these kind of palms ! :)

IMG_1757.jpg

That's all folks for now,iam keeping my fingers crossed as to what next ? :hmm::lol:

IMG_1758.jpg

Love,

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a recent still,sent to me by a member to whom i sent few palmyra seeds which did germinate on the way to his place... :mrlooney::)

borassus_CpBuClose-up01.jpg

Love,

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Friends :)

Here are few updates on the Borassus.F growing in big black industrial barrel..the germinated seed has put out a spear nearly after 2 full months time ! this barrel is placed in our roof top garden taking full sunlight...all these days ! And i used to water it gently every day.

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

Any news as to how your borassus.F are all doing...? :hmm:

thanks & Love,

By the way check my signature to know my weather report,since for the next 7 months we are having here just summer season,it has its effect on my palms grouth rate !

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 1 month later...

Here is a update for this month,and if you want to know about the present temperature conditions of the place i live in,just refer my signature..which has daily weather report highlighted on it ! :)

BORASSUSF_3202.jpg

BORASSUSF_3201.jpg

Love,

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here is a update for this month,and if you want to know about the present temperature conditions of the place i live in,just refer my signature..which has daily weather report highlighted on it ! :)

Love,

Dear Kris, I have always thought that would have temperatures in your area.

Thanks for the updates.

ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

Dear Kris, I have always thought that would have temperatures in your area.

Thanks for the updates.

You are welcome my friend... :winkie::)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

El Jueves de esta semana, Se plantó en tierra el único Borassus flabellifer que salió adelante, de los que Kris marcó con "K". Los trabajadores se emocionaron tanto con el tubo, que el "entierro" fue casi una ceremonia, con un hoyo de tamaño infinito, el corte con radial de los laterales del tubo y muchas fotos. Está a unos 50 m de los Borassus aethiopum que sembramos en 1996... con 11 años de diferencia. :lol:

Carlo

• 2 weeks later...

Enhorabuena Carlo!!

Las 3 germinaron, la que yo me quedé murió, la otra está bastante bien, y la tercera está en un vivero. No ha despuntado todavía. La voy a ver de vez en cuando. Parece estar bien.

Un saludo.

• Upvote 1

Aquí está la foto del Borassus flabellifer en el Palmetum. Adelante hacia el futuro.

RIMG0103.jpg

RIMG0104.jpg

RIMG0105.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

He aquí una actualización! (here's an update !) :)

BF_4270.jpg

Un Close-Up ! (A Close-Up !)

BF_4271.jpg

Mucho amor, (Lots of love)

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 months later...