IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free canna seeds

Reyes Vargas

I have a few canna seeds that I have for free to anyone who wants some.  I collected these seeds from my own canna yesterday.  Don't knkw what kind it is. I have 3 lots of 10 seeds.  The first three who wants them and sends me a PM will get them. 

Here are a couple pictures of the flowers.  These are some of the smallest canna flowers I've seen.20210517_065158.thumb.jpg.c0090e52db29ff75aebb0aa9900b0757.jpg

20210517_065223.thumb.jpg.fde70850cdaeddf2501362636f894a0a.jpg

20210517_065220.thumb.jpg.f0a4fa3c2085a7a644ba937204f6e408.jpg

Here is a picture of the whole plant.20210517_065205.thumb.jpg.a835d8b72269d5406d758f1f86ce7f39.jpg

And here is a picture of the seeds.20210517_130248.thumb.jpg.d92f19130243e029c8d47a050692bd09.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@jimmyt I couldn't help you there.  I don't even know what variety it is.  I think a bird ate the seed deposited the seed and it grew under one of my mesquite trees.  The tallest I've seen this canna grow is 3ft and that was the one growing under the tree in shade.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jimmyt said:

@Reyes Vargas  Here is the results of your Canna seeds after nicking, soaking for 1 day, and 8 days in a pot!  :D

DF3A82C3-5E35-4737-9F8D-DE9DBA351939.jpeg

Nice thanks for the update.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Worms have discovered that they like the salad buffet.  My cannas are being devastated by some worm.  Any ideas how to get rid of them.

20210618_074926.jpg

20210618_074945.jpg

20210618_075001.jpg

I am guessing larger canna leafroller caterpillars.  I have not encountered this pest yet, but have read that people have successfully treated with Bacillus thuringiensis (Thuricide or Dipel, an organic choice that may work a bit more slowly) or with Orthene or Sevin.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mulungu said:

I am guessing larger canna leafroller caterpillars.  I have not encountered this pest yet, but have read that people have successfully treated with Bacillus thuringiensis (Thuricide or Dipel, an organic choice that may work a bit more slowly) or with Orthene or Sevin.

https://luv2garden.com/leaf_rollers.html 

this article has interesting information for you. An a section on how to get rid of them. 

• Like 2

@mulungu has the right idea.  The B.t. Spray targets the caterpillars and spares other insects.  The caterpillars have to ingest the B.t. which eventually will kill them.  If no other concerns then a good dusting with Sevin will get them quicker.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Funnily enough @Reyes Vargas I've been growing cannas for years in various places and had never noticed this particular pest... but your question was so timely, because it put my antenna up.  Today I was looking out the deck at the garden and noticed that a banana canna leaf was tattered and munched.  I marched out there and sure enough it was leaf roller, and come to find out a canna patch in another part of the garden was also infested.  I sprayed with neem oil, because that was what I had handy (I'm a lazy gardener) but if it gets more advanced I am going to try the Bt.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mulungu said:

Funnily enough @Reyes Vargas I've been growing cannas for years in various places and had never noticed this particular pest... but your question was so timely, because it put my antenna up.  Today I was looking out the deck at the garden and noticed that a banana canna leaf was tattered and munched.  I marched out there and sure enough it was leaf roller, and come to find out a canna patch in another part of the garden was also infested.  I sprayed with neem oil, because that was what I had handy (I'm a lazy gardener) but if it gets more advanced I am going to try the Bt.

That sucks.  If you can get it try liquid sevin.  Its just like sevin dust but only in a liquid concentrate.  It seems to work on everything I've tried it on. I'm going to go pick up some on Monday since I'm all out.

For me it seems that I have every pest known to man.  I have mealy bugs, leaf roller, Asian citrus psyllid, leaf miner, ox beetles I can probably go on and on.  Anyways good luck.

Edited by Reyes Vargas
  • Like 1