IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cacti ID, Please.

Paradise Found

6 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

I like this little cactus especially the thorns on it. 

IMG-0101.jpg

Possibly Opuntia monacantha " Joseph's Coat " There are a few other variegated Opuntia cultivars around however..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Possibly Opuntia monacantha " Joseph's Coat " There are a few other variegated Opuntia cultivars around however..

Thanks it is Opuntia monacntha, just not "Joseph's Coat". I think its O. maverick varietaga 'Tricolor" or O. monacantha var. variegata cv. Maverick variegata. Not 100% sure. :unsure:

Edited by Paradise Found

3 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Thanks it is Opuntia monacntha, just not "Joseph's Coat". I think its O. maverick varietaga 'Tricolor" or O. monacantha var. variegata cv. Maverick variegata. Not 100% sure. :unsure:

I think the common name might be "Joseph's Coat"?

3 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

I think the common name might be "Joseph's Coat"?

Common name for the species is " Drooping Prickly Pear ", and it is solid green.. Per the World of Succulents website. " Joseph's Coat / Maverick " are just a couple of the variegated forms rather than a species, no matter how a BB store specimen might be labeled.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Common name for the species is " Drooping Prickly Pear ", and it is solid green.. Per the World of Succulents website. " Joseph's Coat / Maverick " are just a couple of the variegated forms rather than a species, no matter how a BB store specimen might be labeled.

Yeah the tag on it just said... cactus assorted, likes bright indirect light, makes sense since it was in the house plant section. Thanks for your help!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Yeah the tag on it just said... cactus assorted, likes bright indirect light, makes sense since it was in the house plant section. Thanks for your help!

Whats worse is .. at least w/ those cacti they sell w/ the fake flower on them is there is no species listed on the labels, & just the most basic info.. Notice info on others is either partially.. or completely off.. Kind of frustrating.. esp. for anyone just getting into growing cacti ( or Succulents )

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Whats worse is .. at least w/ those cacti they sell w/ the fake flower on them is there is no species listed on the labels, & just the most basic info.. Notice info on others is either partially.. or completely off.. Kind of frustrating.. esp. for anyone just getting into growing cacti ( or Succulents )

So true its very frustrating!  Thanks for your help. This one came from an actual big nursery here.  I'll keep it since it so unusual for my collection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paradise Found said:

So true its very frustrating!  Thanks for your help. This one came from an actual big nursery here.  I'll keep it since it so unusual for my collection.

Think that's confusing ( ..enough, lol.. )  The following 3 Opuntia are often miss-labeled, even in some of the better nurseries..  And can cross in habitat where their ranges overlap.. 2 produce flowers that can be the same colors, have pads that are shaped similarly as well.  Flowers on the 3rd are usually just yellow, perhaps w/ some light red orange-ish streaking..

My supposed Opuntia azurea.. Pads are thin, no matter how much water it gets.DSC01004.JPG.fc7bf3aac3b591eb9e1a898d3368d065.JPG

Flower on my specimen.
DSCN5807.thumb.JPG.d14f831120fa5ec3a90c94b91eb8ca11.JPG

Supposed Opuntia macrocentra specimen in a near by park. Note the more Beaver Tail shaped ( and fatter/ thicker ) pads.
987544266_DSCN5792(2).jpg.f64e45c6419e52aef1b7fd0a643cc01c.jpg

Flowers on a nursery's specimen
DSCN1028.JPG.b817a940691a05b40c194e282dbdb42b.JPG

( Not pictured ) Opuntia chlorotica santa-rita, which is often labeled as Opuntia violecea.. which technically,  doesn't exist.. ( but is labeled as such in many places ) Normally lacks spines, or may have a few near the tops of the pads.

• Like 1

I first thought the first photo was Santa-rita, LOL!  I've notice that too some are thicker and some are thin, I gave my little one some water. 

Here is how I grow O. Santa-rita in my garden, LOL, if I don't grow it on the wall the slugs will make it look like swiss cheese. 

DSC_0043.thumb.JPG.d9aeae7fc89d971b3cb29d4b157b1193.JPG

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

This is a case where in might be appropriate for nomenclature name change. That name would give ya writer's cramp.

• Like 2