Josue Diaz

For lovers of big leaves - ficus roxburghii (auriculata)

Josue Diaz

Check out the size of these leaves! They are not as thick/leathery as lyrata, or dammaeropsis, but the size and color on this species is amazing just as well. Evergreen for me the last two winters in Fresno. 

20200522_015327.jpg

20200522_015345.jpg

20200522_015432.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Hillizard
8 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Check out the size of these leaves! They are not as thick/leathery as lyrata, or dammaeropsis, but the size and color on this species is amazing just as well. Evergreen for me the last two winters in Fresno. 

Wow! I had no idea these could be grown outdoors in NorCal! Very nice!! The leaves look perfect... no sunburn or bug bites! ;)

Silas_Sancona
8 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

20200522_015327.jpg

20200522_015345.jpg

20200522_015432.jpg

At the expense of being flogged w/ an Ocotillo branch by a few:mrlooney:, have to admit i like this Ficus sp. a tad better than F. dammaropsis.. No doubt its a great species, but this one seems to grow nicely/ looks great just about everywhere i have seen it.. Definitely adds the big leaf, tropical feel to a landscape..  Nice to see it doing well there in Fresno too:greenthumb:.

• Like 2

akamu

That is a great looking species thanks for sharing

Silas_Sancona

Here's a nice specimen in Selby Botanical's collection.   ..And what you have to look forward to Josue. :drool: Might be hard to see in the pic, but it is tied to posts on a couple sides.
DSCN0285.thumb.JPG.9aaf3a75af588fa0e8906d54873f5ca3.JPG

• Like 1

greysrigging

Leaves are huge ( Botanical Gardens, Darwin )

20200204_133028.thumb.jpg.25c0a9fd572fd38fdc2fc060533fc0c1.jpg

20200419_110116.jpg

20200419_110126.jpg

• Like 2

Palm Tree Jim

Thanks for sharing.

Nice plant indeed.

necturus

I love these, but they get huge quick. I have been chopping mine back to keep it on the smaller side. The woody cuttings root easily.

• Like 1

Josh76

I wish I could get my hands on one of these in Europe. Does anyone know a source of viable seeds? Have spent plenty of $$$ on non-viable seeds over the years :bummed:

• Upvote 1

tropicbreeze

I recently got Ficus umbellata which looks very similar to this.

• Like 1

gilles06

I bought one 2 weeks ago, do they appreciate full sun in mediterranean climate ? What about summer drought?

Edited by gilles06
corrector

Tracy
3 hours ago, gilles06 said:

I bought one 2 weeks ago, do they appreciate full sun in mediterranean climate ? What about summer drought?

You will probably want to irrigate it some during the summer but they can handle a lot of sun.  There is a nice specimen at formerly Quail Botanical Garden now "San Diego" Botanical garden located here in Encinitas.  Our climate description is based on the real thing, where you are in the Mediterranean.... winter rain and cool, summer dry and hot.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:34 AM, Silas_Sancona said:

At the expense of being flogged w/ an Ocotillo branch by a few:mrlooney:, have to admit i like this Ficus sp. a tad better than F. dammaropsis.. No doubt its a great species, but this one seems to grow nicely/ looks great just about everywhere i have seen it.. Definitely adds the big leaf, tropical feel to a landscape

Since I'm growing the funky, red fruited form which has great leaves but no form, I can partially agree with you on tree structure.  However, if you switch to the green fruit form, they seem to have much better structure as well as the spectacularly large and rigid leaves.

On 5/22/2020 at 12:58 PM, akamu said:

That is a great looking species thanks for sharing

Adam, I'm sure you are aware that there is a great collection pf Ficus specimens down by you at the San Diego Zoo as well as up here in Encinitas (former Quail Botanical as mentioned above).  Definitely worth visiting again once they are opened back up.

• Like 1

gilles06

That sounds good. Thank you Tracy  :greenthumb:

Cedric
On 5/24/2020 at 6:53 AM, Josh76 said:

I wish I could get my hands on one of these in Europe. Does anyone know a source of viable seeds? Have spent plenty of $$$ on non-viable seeds over the years :bummed:

Sure they're coming out by the zillions right now grown by Jan at "esperit ficuss" in the Netherlands,  esperit.nl in a EU shop near you!

They have Auriculata, Umbellata and monster form of Bussei which seems to be rivaling F.brussii from PNG. 

I like and am growing both Umbellata and Auriculata and Bussei. Both Umbellata and Auriculata are very lovely small trees with tons of colour. For me at any rate Umbellata has more more intense coppery colours and Auriculata reddish then pinkish coppery. Umbellata has much the same size leaves or even bigger if you cut it back every two years or so which I have been doing. Not quite pollarding but I take off about a meter or so.  Auriculata spreads like a low cloud, fabulouse shape so I don't prune it back, they start branching quite early on. 

• Like 1

Cedric
On 5/23/2020 at 1:34 AM, Silas_Sancona said:

At the expense of being flogged w/ an Ocotillo branch by a few:mrlooney:, have to admit i like this Ficus sp. a tad better than F. dammaropsis.. No doubt its a great species, but this one seems to grow nicely/ looks great just about everywhere i have seen it.. Definitely adds the big leaf, tropical feel to a landscape..  Nice to see it doing well there in Fresno too:greenthumb:.

Think it's because they grow them commercially from seed rather than marcotts of lateral branches which seems to be the problem with dammeropsis.  A well grown seed grown dammaropsis is a very nice thing, no argument but that funky thing sprawling on the floor certainly less so. I've seem one or two stunning ones in Australia in botanical gardens, very old original examples grown from seed and they're a completely different ball game. Yah bigger is better is not always the case in a leaf, depending on your climatic conditions. For me the PNG lowland Ficus brusii is less interesting, not only because the leaves have less of that very attractive, essential pleating but because they also droop sadly where dammaropsis holds them up better all conditions.  Umbellata and Auriculata grow so easily and you get them seed grown, the leaves rival dammaropsis in size particularily if you cut them back every couple of years once you've got nice thick trunks and the colour is tremendous. Cutting them back doesn't set them back at all, same season, just a month in fact you have your tree back with bigger leaves than ever. 

• Like 1

Josh76
16 hours ago, Cedric said:

Sure they're coming out by the zillions right now grown by Jan at "esperit ficuss" in the Netherlands,  esperit.nl in a EU shop near you!

They have Auriculata, Umbellata and monster form of Bussei which seems to be rivaling F.brussii from PNG. 

I like and am growing both Umbellata and Auriculata and Bussei. Both Umbellata and Auriculata are very lovely small trees with tons of colour. For me at any rate Umbellata has more more intense coppery colours and Auriculata reddish then pinkish coppery. Umbellata has much the same size leaves or even bigger if you cut it back every two years or so which I have been doing. Not quite pollarding but I take off about a meter or so.  Auriculata spreads like a low cloud, fabulouse shape so I don't prune it back, they start branching quite early on. 

Wow- thanks @Cedric :greenthumb::greenthumb: