David_Sweden

Chamaedorea Radicalis

David_Sweden

I got a bunch of seeds from DoomsDave in 2016 which turned into 22 seedlings of which I put 2 or 3 each in 8 bigger pots and have given them away to friends so that I now have 2 left. I'm keeping one myself. Anyone reading this forum can have the remaining one for free but you'd have to pay for shipping (or pick it up). No point asking if you're outside Europe, it'd bee too expensive to send. It's also more fun to have in Europe maybe since it isn't available anywhere in Europe as far as I have seen. Cheapest shipping I can find is PostNord for 122 SEK within Sweden and 351 SEK (~€35) to the European countries I checked (e g France, Germany, Denmark, Norway).

Cold hardy, very easy to manage, accepts anything from little light to full sun. This is the version with stem. Becomes only 2-3m high and one of few palms that ca blossom and have fruits indoors. Grown in 70% coir and 30% seramis. Height 75 cm from soil surface 94cm from the floor). In the pic with 4 palms it is the one to the far left:

1186180551_181006(6)-1cr.thumb.jpg.e373d434c80db791b033cad52a5455ae.jpg

1478873742_181006(7)-1b.thumb.jpg.5a24e19077bad4d6fb20c0389d33963e.jpg

1168792709_180922(3)c1234.thumb.jpg.c9afc7d510a7c60250bec593433e92c4.jpg

This is what it can look like when bigger:

2096144323_Palmpedia24halvliten.thumb.jpg.67ba0172f455fc13247f662cf856da96.jpgPalmpedia11.jpg.5ddc186470fd92be4ff49c97c7e333f1.jpg

Edited by David_Sweden
More pics
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Subwoofer

They look great! Im having troubles keeping mine alive, i will repot them this spring and start treating them as agaves:D

David_Sweden

Sorry to hear that. I find them very forgiving and easy to manage. Maybe you water too often or haven't flushed the soil at least every 2 months, or have them in deep shadow? That's all I can imagine can kill them, but that would kill most indoor plants. (Not counting extreme events like being overrun by steamroller and such.. ;))

• Like 1

yeye

You send bare root ?

David_Sweden

Nope

jimmyt
4 hours ago, David_Sweden said:

Sorry to hear that. I find them very forgiving and easy to manage. Maybe you water too often or haven't flushed the soil at least every 2 months, or have them in deep shadow? That's all I can imagine can kill them, but that would kill most indoor plants. (Not counting extreme events like being overrun by steamroller and such.. ;))

Hey don't steamroll my Palms!  :floor:       Ohh man that was funny!

Subwoofer
On 2/8/2019 at 5:12 PM, David_Sweden said:

No steamroller:D but rootrot very fast:(

Palmensammler

Hi all,

all my little C. radicalis (seeds from Dave) are overwintering in a dark and cold cellar. I water them slightly once a month. They all look healty.

Maybe to much water at low temps and less light?

Eckhard

David_Sweden

Subwoofer, mine are in coir/seramis, I doubt they can get root rot then due to the excellent drainage (but the high water capacity makes it interesting..)

Palmensammler, I don't keep any plants in the dark so I have no experience, but sure, if dark and cold then rather too little than too much water, I would use a cheap (1-rod) moisture meter and water thoroughly when very slightly moist (2 on a scale of 10) then empty saucer and hold at 45 deg angle until drips max once per second, and I'd maybe go down to ½ dose fert, depending on how often watered

• Upvote 1

Chester B

Dave,

Palms have been repotted and doing well.

radicalis.jpg

• Like 1

DoomsDave

Oh, wow, they're rugged expletives!

Yep, The Happy People Palm is a name that works.

They don't kill easily, not even here in the infamous Death Camp.

DoomsDave

@David_Sweden, want some more seeds? I've got them, and you're spreading the Gospel of Palminess bless your heart!

Funkthulhu

I really wish it wasn't a death sentence to ship anything to me right now. . .  Then again, considering the density of the container ranch right now, maybe this is for the best.  :D 

@NetoPalms

Dave, I'd like some of these!

DoomsDave
On 2/11/2019 at 7:20 AM, @NetoPalms said:

Dave, I'd like some of these!

PM me your address; if you've sent it before, please send again.

Be one of the happy people with the Happy People Palm!

RJ
On 2/20/2019 at 9:33 PM, DoomsDave said:

PM me your address; if you've sent it before, please send again.

Be one of the happy people with the Happy People Palm!

Next time around I would enjoy some. :greenthumb:

Edited by RJ

Laaz

I can tell you these sailed through 16F in the Jan 2018 ice & snow we had without a spot on them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1