Sign in to follow this  
quaman58

umbrella tree

quaman58

Hey all,

My neighbor has a very healthy one of these in a pot that she gave me. (It kept falling over) Anyway, I'm not sure if it's Tupidanthus, or Schefflera. But they are a very nice tropical looking easy to grow plant that fits right in with palms. PM me if you're interested.

Bret

LJG

While in Florida John DeMott gave me the easy way to tell. Of course you must wait for it to flower but the easy to tell difference is Tupidanthus flowers on the branches while Schefflera flowers at the terminal end.

quaman58

Good to know Len, thanks. Btw, this one will plant out at nearly 10'.

Pando

These plants should remain in a pot. They are nice, but just as a warning - if planting out, it needs to be the heck away from any man-made structures. The roots are like boa constrictors - very invasive and will start moving concrete and anything else in its path.

I just took one out, it was 40 feet tall and 3 feet from my house. Took me all day to wrestle out the rootball and the roots, and now I have to deal with lifted-up concrete walkways and a crooked fence.

But, just like with Ficus benjamina, in a pot they are really nice. :)

Edited by Pando