dimitris

how to get rid of the scale from my bromeliads ?

dimitris

Hello ,

I never had any pest problem with my broms , but now some got infected by scale .

So how can I get rid of those things ? I don't use any pesticide on them since they collect water in their cups and I am afraid that this might cause some damafe or death in the more tender .

In other plants when the infestation is in the beginning I use a mix of water soap and alcohol and it works , is this safe for broms ?

Edited by dimitris

stevethegator

What type of bromeliads are you wanting to treat? Thin leaved genera like Guzmania are generally more sensitive to things than thicker leaved genera like Neoregelia.

That being said I don't think a soap/alcohol mixture will harm any brom, they're pretty tough

sgvcns

In Australia (Brisbane) a mild chlorpyrifos is routinely used to control a wasp that causes spotting.

Never any probs with mine so should be ok with a dose

Steve

Alicehunter2000

Would coffee be beneficial?

• Upvote 1

Umbrae

coffee works pretty good on cycad scale, hit them with a shot of triple strength espresso and follow up in another 7 to 10 days for about a month and see if that

breaks the life cycle

Gonzer

Scale is not much of a problem at all for bromeliads. Most can be found attached to the inside leaves of the cup and picked away.

dimitris

Thank you all for your replies ! This is my most infected plant , this billbergia pyramidalis .

post-6446-0-31682300-1399532247_thumb.jp

Brian Bruning

I use straight rubbing (ethyl) alcohol to remove scale from orthids and bromeliads. It doesn't even bother the flowers. I just put a sprayer attachment from an old windex bottle into the bottle and spray.