IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Elephant Ear Tree

_Keith

No, that is not a Mimosa tree hiding in there, although at this stage it sure looks like one. But imagine a Mimosa the size of a 100 year old Live Oak. Now, in our climate this tropical tree is not likely to make it that far, but it sure is fun seeing this Elephant Ear Tree (Enterolobium cyclocarpum) make it even this far. I am a sucker for the unusual.

post-1207-0-62629700-1378480961_thumb.jp

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

How much cold has it been able to handle at your place?

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Last two winters have been mild, only a couple nights (just a few hours to the upper 20s) year before last, and one very mild freeze last year (30 degrees for a few hours) which did not seem to faze it at all.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

No, that is not a Mimosa tree hiding in there, although at this stage it sure looks like one. But imagine a Mimosa the size of a 100 year old Live Oak. Now, in our climate this tropical tree is not likely to make it that far, but it sure is fun seeing this Elephant Ear Tree (Enterolobium cyclocarpum) make it even this far. I am a sucker for the unusual.

Keith, now that its come this far, I can't see it taking any steps back, being a deciduous tree an extreme winter shouldn't phase it. A good 8 yrs ago, I gave a small Enterolobium to a friend that lives down low by a creek that gets heavy frost in winter, his tree now is "massive". I have both E contortsilliqum and cyclocarpum, which both have their ear pods on now and no leaves, let me know if you want any seed. Pete :)

Nice specimen Keith!. Have a couple 1gal contortsilliqum seedlings which survived their first winter here. While either species of Enterolobium can get massive in age, always liked seeing big specimens on larger lots when I lived in Clearwater. A tree with year round interest, imo. Apparently they make great Bonsai subjects as well. -Nathan-

• 5 months later...

My Ear Pod tree was really starting to look awesome. I wonder if it was lost in this crazy winter. We'll know more soon about its hardiness.

We have these around here, they can grow huge, Albizia Lebbeck, both of them are naturalized, the Racoons are always climbing up these.

Malabar, Florida. Zone 10a, East Central Florida.

Keith, let us know as soon as you find out ....would be a cool tree to grow up here. Some big ones around Orlando parks.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I'm growing both Enterolobium cyclocarpum and Enterolobium contortisiliquum.

I only have one E. cyclocarpum that I grew from local seed. It's about 14 years old now. Just today I was raking 100s of ear seed pods, plus tons of fallen leaves and burning them along with lots of other tree litter.

My E. contortisiliquum I got from the late Bob Riffle in June of 2003. Bob knew I had in interest in Enterolobium genus and he gave me this tree. From what I understand, E. contortisiliquum is more cold hardy than E. cyclocarpum. Niether tree has ever been cold damaged to my knowledge.

At present time, both trees are almost bare of leaves, although the E. contortisiliquum is holding more leaves. In summer, when both trees are fully leaved, the E. contortisilquum seems to have darker green leaves.

Both trees produce seed pods, but my E. cyclocarpum produces far more seeds, but this tree is also older and larger.

Funny thing (at least to me) is that not one volunteer trees has ever come up around these trees nor anywhere else on my property. Yet, if I open a seed pod and plant seeds in a pot -- they germinate and grow fine trees. I've grown many of these trees and gave them away and also planted some.

Up in the town of Lake Placid there were some very big specimens of these trees. But one of the hurricanes in 2005 broke them down. However, since then, they have really regrown.

Mad about palms

I wish I had photographed the tree this year before the freeze. It was looking awesome. Should know in 30 days or so how bad the damage was. I haven't had the heart to go look closely at it.

I would be interested in trading, or buying, some of both species - young plants or seeds - please let me know.

Pedro - sent you a PM about your offer, not sure if you got it.

"Elephant Ear Tree"?

Seriously?

hoh-kay . . . . :interesting::floor:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave, you don't grow these in Cali?

post-97-0-22492800-1392870706_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-98165800-1392870760_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Alice, uh, no, which might or might not be a good thing, but as Big Mikey said, need more data

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

"Elephant Ear Tree"?

Seriously?

hoh-kay . . . . :interesting::floor:

Well, I mean am I missing something?

I am really anxious to see how the tree held up. When I bought the seeds on ebay, it was labeled as Zone 9 hardy. Only after reading more a year later did I realize I would be lucky for it to survive, well at least by some sites. Reviews range from 9a to 10b in hardiness. Its first two winters were mild so it grew by leaps and bounds. This year it got its first real test. If it is still alive and not too damaged it might have a future.

There is a monster trees two houses away. MONSTER. Ears everywhere on the ground, crushed in the street, mess I say. However, it has a beautiful trunk and unique branch shape providing nice, dappled shade that is not too deep.Decidious for a few months but already leafing out now. Lovely weekend with both days in the 80'sF, rather humid with DP around 70F, nice cool fog at night. The plants :drool: are JUMPING!

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

My Enterolobium cyclocarpum is leafing out now nicely, but my Enterolobium contortisiliquum is still bare. But my E. cyclocarpum loses its leaves much sooner in the winter months, while my E. contortisiliquum holds its leaves longer into the winter.

Mad about palms