IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

When Virtual and Real Worlds Collide ........

RainForestt Robert

Honest appraisal, I like the every day pics as well as the touristy ones, thanks Bob.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Enjoying all the photos looks like everyone had a great time, please keep the photos coming.

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Thanks for sharing your pictures and memories, one day will have to attend

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

So, who came from Australia?

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Robert,

I really enjoyed your pictures of the event. Thanks a lot.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Excellent pictures!! Almost like I was there!

Was everyone on Palm Talk grouped together in one bus??

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Thanks for taking the time to post! Great photos. :mrlooney:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

InBioparque essentially tried to re-create the different climatic zones that could be found around Costa Rica. It was interesting to see some of the flora and fauna of the different zones. However, when compared to the actual forests Inbioparque was a mere shadow. Nonetheless, if you are in Costa Rica for a short period and cannot get out to the different parks you should consider it. All this is in retrospect.

It actually rained! I think this was the only time we had to use our ponchos. The palm gods were with us.

Bill Olson and Jeff Searle

DSC_0725.jpg

Which way should we go? We were placed in groups with a guide who was quite knowledgeable. He said that most tour guides have to go through a 6 month to 1 year training program familiarizing themselves with Costa Rica flora and fauna. He said that as a plant biologist he was exempted.

DSC_0714.jpg

We hung on his every word. Actually there were stragglers, groups became mixed up. Attendees saw late arriving friends. Others decided to just blow the park off and head back to the hotel for dinner etc.

DSC_0718.jpg

DSC_0746.jpg

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Asterogyne martiana and a number of Chamaedoreas were the most frequently seen palms. A number of Asterogynes had obviously been transplanted. They looked, sort of ..... crisply fried. Some were alive though. Even though there was a light rain the misting and watering system was running.

DSC_0717.jpg

DSC_0716.jpg

This tree attracted a lot of interest. Hillary Clinton was seen collecting seeds. Sorry Mr. Moderator, I could not resist.

DSC_0748.jpg

The bromeliad section offered a glimpse of what could be seen throughout the island.

DSC_0733.jpg

This brom was from the dry forest.

DSC_0727.jpg

This is a photo of the the same type of bromeliad, more advanced state of blooming.

DSC_0758.jpg

The battery on my camera was just about dead from a long day of taking photographs. I had no backup. These are the last photos.

There was a lecture in two parts. I think I slept through the first one. It reminded me of some of my science classes in college. Essentially it was about the illegal harvesting of hearts of palms in CR. The second lecture on the Palmetum in Tenerife was interesting and actually woke me up. When it was over, it was time for dinner and that was a long, long day.

DSC_0791.jpg

DSC_0792.jpg

Later, Day 3

UUUmmmm. That is NOT me sleeping in the back row in the previous pic. As Robert said, I was still wondering about that Pheonicophorium borsigianum you mentioned earlier, just painting the picture on the back of my eyelids.

Keep up the great pics. Wondering when Ryan will "Post Up".

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Day 3 began with a hearty breakfast at the hotel. There was usually a combination of American (cereals, breads, scrambled eggs, etc) and Costa Rican dishes (beans and rice, potatoes), at least 6 different types of fruit and an extensive pastry collection. I made sure to get my money's worth at breakfast. I normally went to the gym before breakfast so I had a good excuse to really indulge the pastries.

The previous day Bus 4 was actually divided into two smaller buses. Today we had one large blue MB bus. There was AC, the bus was quiet, powerful, had it's own toilet. Our new lead guide was extremely knowledgeable. He told us a bit about Costa Rica, Independence from Spain in 1821 in a Federation of countries, full independence in 1824. Celebrated on Sep 15 each year. 25% of CR is national parks. 18% is private land where incentives are given to the owners to reduce logging etc. CRs early economy was based on banana, coffee, cocoa. The economy of CR was susceptible to variations in world prices for these commodities. CR suggested at a conference (???) that industrial nations pay countries such as CR for Oxygen. Essentially green credits for maintaining their rainforests that provide significant amounts of the worlds O2.

All this I found very interesting, but you may just want to see photos.

Here is one of the rivers we crossed.

DSC_0793.jpg

Two tributaries from different sources eventually join up. The one on the left has a volcanic origin, and has the tell tale color that indicates it's high sulfur content. The tributary on the right shows no such signs.

DSC_0794.jpg

Bill, Ryan seems to be the meticulous type who is cataloging his photos and choosing the best ones. I am of the shoot first, ask questions later school. This is just the warm up act. I am looking forward to seeing his photos, except for the Bus 4 talent show. Ryan, is there anything I can do to prevent certain photos from seeing the light of day?

RainForestt Robert

When you get to the various destination, one of the first things you need to do is head to the bathroom. Bathrooms on the biennial ranged from rustic to sublime. At the Aerial Tram the exterior of the bathroom was decorated with these wonderful tiles with tropical design, made from impressions by children in their educational program. You can read that from the tiles at the top.

DSC_0795.jpg

My group was the first to head off on the tram, El and La Hoagie, Judith Kay, Barry from South Africa, Dan Ashley from Hawaii and myself eagerly climbed aboard. Before we did we all checked our cameras to ensure that we were ready to shoot, from minute one!

DSC_0799.jpg

The oohs and aahs started as soon as we headed off. Just below and around us were perfect specimens of Asterogyne martiana and Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana, Geonomas and Iriatea, Socrateas, Welfias and Euterpes.

DSC_0802.jpg

DSC_0806.jpg

DSC_0803.jpg

DSC_0840.jpg

While on the aerial tram you had to focus on the rainforest at eye level, below you and above you, ahead, and if you missed something important, behind you. While taking photographs was important, it was also important to absorb the moment. Just a mile or so from the major highway that connects the important coasts and capital of Costa Rica, next to a national park, you felt as if you were alone in the forest. Our guide did not have all the answers to our questions, but he radioed others to try and find the answers. The tram moved along until it stopped for others to get into their "cars". I wish that the tram could have been controlled by the guide, but then it would not be time effective. We would have been stopping every few feet.

Cryosophila warscewiczii

DSC_0858.jpg

One of the most prevalent large bromeliads we saw. It was a stunning plant.

DSC_0848.jpg

Small bromeliad

DSC_0856.jpg

Geonoma

DSC_0853.jpg

Euterpe precatoria

DSC_0842.jpg

Tree fern. We saw numerous species throughout the country. I know nothing about these ferns.

DSC_0829.jpg

The first sightings of Welfia georgii caused a few jaws to drop. If there was a "Swooning Couch" in mid air we would have all collapsed on it. Move over Bismarckia noblis, I have a new favorite palm!

DSC_0828.jpg

DSC_0833.jpg

DSC_0838.jpg

While on the aerial tram you had to focus on the rainforest at eye level, below you and above you, ahead, and if you missed something important, behind you.

Awesome photos so far Mr. Wilson! And you definitely weren't shy about climbing all over us on the tram to get a good shot :lol:

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Bill, Ryan seems to be the meticulous type who is cataloging his photos and choosing the best ones. I am of the shoot first, ask questions later school. This is just the warm up act. I am looking forward to seeing his photos, except for the Bus 4 talent show. Ryan, is there anything I can do to prevent certain photos from seeing the light of day?

RainForestt Robert

Robert,

Ha-ha-ha, but NO. All pictures will be coming up shortly. Even if Ryan dosen't, there's others that can blackmail you. LOL!!! :lol:

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Robert,

You are not the only one who is concerned. As the newly elected president of the IPS, I believe it falls under my responsibility to make sure that the IPS will continue to be seen as a serious organization. Well, forget about that! :mrlooney:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Sometimes the wildlife co-operates for a good photograph

DSC_0800.jpg

Sometimes they don't. This sloth was looking in the "wrong" direction. The tree that the sloth is residing in is one of the pioneer trees when there is a clearing in the forest.

DSC_0797.jpg

Jack, you are right. I think I lost my shyness pretty quickly. I was a little concerned about leaning over and falling out of the gondola. I think that they should put seat belts on those things.

RainForestt Robert

Flowers on the forest floor

DSC_0816.jpg

Robert, it was great to finally meet you in person after our previous contacts in Palmtalk. I would of liked to have been able to talk more with you during the CR Biennial but since you were on a different bus from us it made it difficult to have much interchange with you and some of the other IPS attendees. We really got to know those on our bus #1 and also bus #2 as we seemed to go to the same places together at the same time a lot of the time, however, we seldom ran into those on the other two buses #3 and #4.

Your photos are great, keep them coming. Makes me feel like I'm still there waiting for tomorrows palm activities!

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Al, it was good meeting you and your lovely wife. One of the shortcomings of the biennial is the division into traveling groups. That is also one of the highlights, as can be seen from the tales and antics from bus 4. Hopefully at future biennials, or if I visit Hawaii we can spend some more time together. Or you can always come to Trinidad!

RainForestt Robert

One of the things that I found fascinating about the rainforest is the abundance of life that can be found in a single tree. Obviously we did not get the opportunity to investigate the various life forms in a single tree. Here are some photos that I am sure only offer a glimpse at the various life forms supported by this tree.

DSC_0971.jpg

DSC_0973.jpg

DSC_0974.jpg

DSC_0976.jpg

The atmosphere of the forest at the Aerial Tram was amazing! You listened to birds, trickling streams, the wind blowing in the trees. The silence was also amazing. On a daily basis we are constantly bombarded with primary and secondary noises that we take for granted. We may not be consciously aware of them, as they are filtered into our subconscious. The forest here truly represented peace and quiet. . The property itself is approximately 500 hectares of private land, bordering Braulio Carillo National Park. A great example of sustainable ecotourism development with little direct impact on the forest. Our guide did indicate that during high season when the cruise ships come in the "tourists are just lined up" for the gondolas. Maybe at that time I would have a different opinion, but sitting in the gondolas with others who appreciated the forest and were not just there for the "experience" my opinions were all positive.

Views of the forest canopy

DSC_0980.jpg

DSC_0979.jpg

Another of the large trees that we saw that are the mainstays of the forest.

DSC_0972.jpg

We were really there to see palms, and Euterpe precatoria, with it's pendant leaves is one of the most beautiful palms we saw in Costa Rica.

DSC_0959.jpg

DSC_0970.jpg

Crownshaft

DSC_0964.jpg

More forest views

DSC_0921.jpg

DSC_0920.jpg

DSC_0919.jpg

DSC_0924.jpg

By this time we were more than half way through our tram ride. This gave us an opportunity to greet other attendees as they approached the halfway point.

DSC_0923.jpg

DSC_0934.jpg

Welfia infructescence

DSC_0946.jpg

DSC_0945.jpg

Socratea and Iriatea were often seen at the top of the canopy, as demonstrated by these photos.

DSC_0930.jpg

There were many discussions about the differences between Iriateas and Socrateas. Our guide at the Aerial Tram indicate Socreateas had split terminal leaflets while Iriateas had a rounded terminal leaflet. Socreateas were "bitter" palms, I'm guessing that their hearts were not eaten, while Iriateas were "sweet" palms. Following that key, this seedling would be - Socreatea. Please don't include it's heart in my salad!!

DSC_0831.jpg