IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Croton ID

JeffreyApolloBeach

Hello,

Can anyone ID this croton for me?  I bought it at a local Lowes store.  Also, if a positive ID is given, what are the light requirements?  If it is shade then I will keep it in a pot, but if it can take full sun from morning until 2pm then I will put it in the ground in front of the house.

Thank you.

Jeffrey

Apollo Beach

zone 9b/10a

%7Boption%7Dhttp://thumb19.webshots.net/t....MG]

Jeffrey

Apollo Beach, FL

zone 9b/10a

Hello Jeffrey,

Looks like it might be 'Zulu' to me.  

As far as light requirements, all crotons do best in part sun (morning sun not afternoon).  They do even better in dappled light.  If you want your croton to look its best, then put it in a place where it will be protected from full summer sun.  Here in Florida they get bleached out and stressed in full sun.  People put them in full sun all the time, but that's not good.  When you drive around this summer just look at all the stressed out crotons that are in full sun!

If you're going to put them next to your house (foundation planting)  give them at least 2-3 feet off the house so they have some room to grow.  For the best sun protection use the North or East side.  The West side will give them a little break for the day and the South is the worst side to put them on.  Good luck!

Jason

Sebastian, Florida USA

Zone 9B/10A

Nice plant Jeffrey.  Jason is correct with the Zulu ID.  The original name in Dr. Frank Brown's 1960 book is Noblissima.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Thank you for the ID and the tips on where to plant this one.

Jeffrey

Apollo Beach, FL

zone 9b/10a

Jeffrey

Apollo Beach, FL

zone 9b/10a