IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC BANQUET

JEFF from Trabuco Canyon CA

It was 33 years ago, when Palm Society of Southern California (PSSC) president at that time, Ralph Velez, thought it would be a good idea to have an annual banquet, so made arrangements to have it, of all places, at the Palms restaurant in Anaheim. The following year it was held at Sam’s Seafood in Seal Beach. For a number of years, it was held at the Hyatt Regency Hotel and that’s where Ralph has arranged to have it again this January 2009. It’s a very exclusive Hotel with a beautifully landscaped garden featuring a wonderful collection of palms. The special thing about the Hyatt’s garden is that it was planted many years ago, so is one of the better public examples of mature, rare palms in Orange County.

Bill Dickenson will again give a guided tour at 10:00 AM. Jeff Marcus, owner of a wonderful mail order palm nursery in Hawaii, called Floribunda, is scheduled to give us a thrilling visual presentation on the palms of Madagascar. He and John Dransfield, the world renown botanist who wrote the book 'Palms of Madagascar', recently went on a special palm hunting exploration of Madagascar, going to places unavailable to the rest of us. Much new information on these palms will undoubtedly come from that trip. Do not miss this incredible pictorial journey to that fabled island. It will be a rare oportunity to hear details about the exploration and the palms from an authority such as Jeff Marcus.

The banquet, including a fabulous Pacific Rim lunch buffet, a visual presentation on Madagascar and a palm auction and raffle, will cost $55.00 per guest and will begin at 11:00 AM. This is the one meeting per year limited to PSSC members only. Payment must be received before New Years Day, so do not deley.

Schedule:

10:00 AM Board of Directors Meeting

10:00 AM Garden Tour meets in front of lobby entrance

11:00 AM Luncheon begins

12:30 NOON Pictorial Presentation on a recent trip to Madagascar

1:30 PM Presentation of Certificates, announcements of new officers and other remarks.

2:30 PM - 4:00PM Palm Auction & Raffle

The buffet will consist of:

Hot and Sour Soup

Glass noodle Salad with Green Bens, Papaya and crushed Roasted peanuts.

Spicy cucumber Salad with Onion and Sambal

Fried Rice presented in a wok

Orange Peel Beef with Hot Chilies

Red Curry Marinated White Fish topped with Cilantro Salad

Chopped Chicken Salad

Steamed Sui mai

Fruit Compote with Star Anise Syrup

Almond Croustade topped with Mango and Coconut

Fortune Cookies

Palms planted long ago at the Hyatt Newporter include:

1. Acoelorraphe - wrightii

2. Archontophoenix - cunninghamiana

3. Bismarkia - nobilis

4. Brahea - armata, edulis

5. Butia - capitata, paraguayensis, etc.

6. Caryota - urens, mitis

7. Chamaedorea - seifritzii, elegans, radicalis, ernesti agusti, etc.

8. Chamaerops - humilis

9, Coccothrinax - sp.

10. Dypsis - decaryi, leptocheilos

11. Howea - forsteriana, belmoreana

12. Hyophorbe - vershafeltii

13. Jubaea - chilensis

14. Jubaeooopsis - caffra

15. Laccospadix - australasica

16. Livistona - chinensis, et.

17. Phoenix - canariensis, dactylifera, reclinata, roebelenii, rupicola, hybrid reXro

18. Pritchardia - sp.

19. Ravenea - rivularis, madagascariensis

20. Rhapidophyllum - hystrix

21. Rhopalostylis - baueri, sapida

22. Rhapis - excelsa, humilis

23. Sabal - mauritiaformis

24. Syagrus - romanzoffiana

25. Trachycarpus - fotunei

26. Trithrinax - acanthocoma

27. Washingtonia - filifera, robusta

28. Wodyetia - bifurcata

Please make check for $55 per person

(made out to PSSC) and send to:

Ralph Velez

15461 Devonshire Circle,

Westminster, CA 92683

Phone no. (714) 775-6324

Email: calif.rainforest@gmail.com

Checks must be made out to PSSC or Palm Society of Southern California and must be received before New Years Day. DO NOT MAKE THE CHECKS OUT TO RALPH VELEZ.

Or you may call Ralph and pay by Mastercard or VISA over the phone.

Jeff Rood

Side note: Jeff Marcus is still going through all his pictures and does not know if he will be ready for the banquet. If not we have another speaker on Madagascar who was there in the spring. Marcus said he would let me know by next week. Either way you don't want to miss out on this great day!

JEFF

Jeff Rood

Looking forward to it! Jeff, for those of us not in the area, is it in Newport Beach?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Anyone who misses this Banquet will never forgive themself. I can guarantee you will be listening to people discussing Jeff's presentation for years.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

• 2 weeks later...

I just registered, so I'll see whoever is there, plus, I've never been to the Newporter, so should be cool!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill did you pay already? I woudl first call and see if you can go. Did you not read this?

'It’s a very exclusive Hotel "

I will be going for sure! Car pool anyone?

I just registered, so I'll see whoever is there, plus, I've never been to the Newporter, so should be cool!

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Bill did you pay already? I woudl first call and see if you can go. Did you not read this?

'It’s a very exclusive Hotel "

I will be going for sure! Car pool anyone?

Spoke to the "Rainforest Man" himself and paid and registered. (not to be confused with the "Rain Man")

Car pool maybe. Its an ALL DAY affair. Are you prepared?

I'm glad I saw this post because I did not receive a newsletter announcing the banquet. Anyone else miss this? I hope attendance dosen't suffer.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

It's too close to the house not to go... I hope to see you guys there.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Bill,

I'm starting to worry that my plane ticket was never sent like we promised 11 months ago, remember? You told me you would fly me out there and I would be staying at somebody's house name Clark. A good friend of yers..... :lol:

Don't leave me hanging, I had a great time one year ago.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Man, that sure is a lot of mustard on that sandwhich Jeff.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I just got my newsletter today and it says CHECKS MUST BE RECEIVED BY JANUARY 1 !!! Not much time to spare, send in your reservation now.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I simply called the Ralphmeister and paid that way.

Jeff- uummm, You get out here, I'll pay fer your banquet ticket! :)

I just got my newsletter today and it says CHECKS MUST BE RECEIVED BY JANUARY 1 !!! Not much time to spare, send in your reservation now.

Well, here I come . . .

Dang, sorry for all the noise to come . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Crap! you had to go and have the banquet on my wife's birthday!!!!

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Crap! you had to go and have the banquet on my wife's birthday!!!!

Dave, Easy... Reserve the weekend at the Newporter and treat the wifey to a full day's treatment at the day spa. Might cost you a bit more, but then you can kill two birds with one stone. hehehe :mrlooney:

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Dave, Bring her along. Get a room at the Hyatt Regency Hotel and then take her out for a nice dinner in Newport Beach. Also, Fashion Island a very nice shopping mall is right next door.

JEFF

Jeff Rood

Funny, that is exactly how I ditch my wife. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

The newsletter is wrong about the date! But the sooner we know how many people the easier it makes it on the hotel and the society. Also, this year the max is 100 people and we already have 1/3 the people paid so, don't miss out on this special day!

JEFF

Jeff Rood

• 2 weeks later...

The dead line is coming up quick so, please call Ralph (714) 775-6324 ASAP to let him know that you will be attending. You don't want to miss out on Jeff Marcus presentation. He has worked on it for many weeks to make it very special for all of us. Hope to see many of you there.

Jeff

Jeff Rood

Those that have been calling about whether Marcus is giving his presentation, he is official his plane tickets are bought. There are around 30 seats left so, don't miss out.

JEFF

Jeff Rood

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to Palm Talk. I live in Fallbrook, CA and just joined the Palm Society of Southern California. I registered to attend the banquet on the 24th and was wondering if it would be possible to carpool with anyone that was heading up there from the North County San Diego area. Please let me know. Thanks and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone on here.

Jason

Any last minute guest please let me know by PM. We still have a few openings left.

JEFF

Jeff Rood

A couple of people have asked about an auction after Jeff Marcus' talk -- is this on the schedule? And also, is Jeff bringing any plants from Hawaii for the auction?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I will ask Jeff tomorrow. I far as I know the auction is still on the schedule. We asked for an extention for the conference hall so we could still have the auction and raffle.

Jeff Rood

Thought I would add this so I wouldn't have to look anymore...

DIRECTIONS TO HYATT NEWPORTER:

1107 Jamboree Road

Newport Beach, CA 92660

(949) 729-1234

If you are going south on the 405 freeway, take the 73 freeway. and exit on Jamboree. Go south. The Hyatt is at 1107 Jamboree Rd. on the right hand side of the street. Parking fee is $10.00, which has already been discounted from the normal $19.00. Carpooling might be an option to consider. If you are taking the 405 North, exit on Jamboree and drive south to the Hyatt.

Want to see a coconut tree while nearby? It is said to be the most northern mature coconut in the world. From the Banquet, drive north on Pacific Coast Highway. It is on the right in the 2400 block.

1107 Jamboree Road

Newport Beach, CA 92660

(949) 729-1234

If you are going south on the 405 freeway, take the 73 freeway. and exit on Jamboree. Go south. The Hyatt is at 1107 Jamboree Rd. on the right hand side of the street. Parking fee is $10.00, which has already been discounted from the normal $19.00. Carpooling might be an option to consider. If you are taking the 405 North, exit on Jamboree and drive south to the Hyatt.

Want to see a coconut tree while nearby? It is said to be the most northern mature coconut in the world. From the Banquet, drive north on Pacific Coast Highway. It is on the right in the 2400 block.

Bill,

What time will you be picking me up at? It's a long flight out............ :hmm:

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

1107 Jamboree Road

Newport Beach, CA 92660

(949) 729-1234

Bill,

What time will you be picking me up at? It's a long flight out............ :hmm:

Jeff

Like I said, you fly here. I'll get you and pay your way in. :D

1107 Jamboree Road

Newport Beach, CA 92660

(949) 729-1234

The NP Coconut is looking really good through this winter. I just saw it today. Decided to measure how far it was from my house...No more than 4 miles! I wonder if I should try...

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Looking forward to a report on this event. Oh look, it's on tomorrow.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

If anyone is looking for a ride up to the banquet tomorrow from the north san diego area, feel free to message me. I'll check my account here a couple of times tonight. I'm heading up there from Fallbrook.

I see it's nearly 4 pm there, you folk must be enjoying the raffle right now, good luck, I've done lousy at our raffles for about 12 months now. First home best post the news..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I see it's nearly 4 pm there, you folk must be enjoying the raffle right now, good luck, I've done lousy at our raffles for about 12 months now. First home best post the news..

Hey Wal and everyone who was not there,

WOW, Marcus spoke for about 3.5 hours with hundreds of National Geographic quality pictures taken by Jeff Brusseau, and his wife Suchin, on their fully detailed travels to, thru and from Madagaska. If you missed it I know he was miked and I understand a link to the recording will be posted on his return to the Islands as Dino will be doing the posting.

Best 55usd I've spent, you could not believe some of the images when shown on a large screen. Jeff Marcus had even noted that the pictures looked far more detailed and real on the big screen and small pics just don't do these creatures justice.

B.S. Man was to the right of me and I think I saw him asking the waitress for some oxygen!! :drool: :drool:

Truly mind blowing seeing and hearing Marcus and his passion about the beauty of these palms....Standout palms being Dypsis bejofo, Dypsis Jurassic Park aka Dypsis tokoravina, Dark Mealy Bug aka Dypsis ovobontsira, Dypsis malcomberi , Dypsis carlsmithii was Stumpy Palm, Sp. 'Big Curly' aka Dypsis prestoniana and a hand full of mind blowing Ravenea palms like krociana, glauca to name just a few. The picture he has of the sol surviving Beccariophoenix madagascariensis windows is off the charts, The palm must have been 200 years old it was so massive.

Marcus made a great point as to who we owe a great deal of credit to, for paving the trails in the early days to these palms.....Mardy Darian and John Drainfeild....... Although so much was clarified as to the true documentation of taking pictures of seedlings and the collaboration of information between this group, that we will benefit from.

Thanks to everyone involved in everything that made it possible!!

Oh the food and the company were outstanding too!!!

Life is great! :drool: :drool:

Clark

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

Well said Clark.

The oxygen arrived just in time. :)

Well said Clark.

The oxygen arrived just in time. :)

We were all worried as we know your love for these types of palms!!! :mrlooney: Your a funny guy!!

All the best,

clark

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822