IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Which cordyline am I

GDLWyverex

Can someone tell me which cordyline this is. It looks like a green australis to me if there is such a thing, though it could be an indivisa or .... It was sold as an indivisa, not a cordyline indivisa, but simply an indivisa, but I have my doubts.

Top.jpg.360591d5eb54c8f94dc50480a37dc1f8Trunk.jpg.6d7dde9485a75beb7bbee332411051CordylineAustralis.jpg.44f686b99e673cb1d

Thanks

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex
  • Upvote 1

On 9/11/2017, 3:36:54, GDLWyverex said:

Can someone tell me which cordyline this is. It looks like a green australis to me if there is such a thing, though it could be an indivisa or .... It was sold as an indivisa, not a cordyline indivisa, but simply an indivisa, but I have my doubts.

Top.jpg.360591d5eb54c8f94dc50480a37dc1f8Trunk.jpg.6d7dde9485a75beb7bbee332411051CordylineAustralis.jpg.44f686b99e673cb1d

Thanks

Richard

Richard, it looks like a dracaena to me, but I'm not familiar with the type.  I don't follow dracaenas a lot.

15 hours ago, annafl said:

Richard, it looks like a dracaena to me, but I'm not familiar with the type.  I don't follow dracaenas a lot.

Cordalynes are very closely related to dracenas. Both are in the asparagaceae family

take a look at the CORDYLINE TERMINALIS for a familiar face in the cordyline genus, the ti plant

https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=ti+plant&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_sL716K3WAhWh54MKHacgDpIQ_AUICigB&biw=1355&bih=589#imgrc=ZZ2-BTeuRDepAM:

Richard

It looks to be form of the New Zealand Cordyline australis.

• Upvote 1

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

6 hours ago, Tropicgardener said:

It looks to be form of the New Zealand Cordyline australis.

That is my opinion as well. I am seeking opinions because it was sold as an indivisa, not an autralis. Also, the australis that I have seen are all maroon while this one is green. Possibly a result of growing conditions or it might be a var of australis...

That is why I am seeking confirmation. If it truly is an indivisa as purported, It likes shade and cold weather, which bodes ominously for Mexican conditions, while if it is an australis, it likes sun and is more tolerant of heat...

Richard

classical australis for me...

• Upvote 2

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

2 hours ago, gilles06 said:

classical australis for me...

My thought as well. regardless of the name it was sold under...

Richard

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, GDLWyverex said:

That is my opinion as well. I am seeking opinions because it was sold as an indivisa, not an autralis. Also, the australis that I have seen are all maroon while this one is green. Possibly a result of growing conditions or it might be a var of australis...

That is why I am seeking confirmation. If it truly is an indivisa as purported, It likes shade and cold weather, which bodes ominously for Mexican conditions, while if it is an australis, it likes sun and is more tolerant of heat...

Richard

The normal wild forms of Cordyline australis are green like the one above........... As for heat and cold tolerance here in the Queensland tropics Cordyline australis is an absolute failure as it is way too hot and humid for it here. Only really succeeds down in temperate climates such as those of Sydney and Melbourne.

• Upvote 1

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Here is a good example of a true Cordyline indivisa for reference. And a closeup of the leaves coloration. 

8554bd.jpg

Cordyinla.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 2

On 9/12/2017, 7:36:54, GDLWyverex said:

It looks like a green australis to me if there is such a thing,

Sorry Richard but from the NZ perspective this is an amusing question. In the wild you only see green ti kouka trees, the color leaf forms are nursery only stuff. Fascinating to think the international nursery trade has made this green form seem unusual. I have thousands of seedlings coming up every year as nursery weeds and have never seen a natural colour mutation.

• Upvote 1

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

These are sold here in the US in the thousands as annual six-packs, and come in either green, or purple/maroon. 

They are called (in the trade) Dracaena Spikes, or Indivisa. I, too, haven't been able to pin down exactly what they are. 

They are amazingly hardy, too - lots of people leave them outside in winter to "die" along with the rest of the annuals to be replaced the following spring, and often, these are still alive. (We are in zone 5-6!) 

• Upvote 1