IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycad cones and flushes

Urban Rainforest

13 hours ago, Palmzilla said:

One of my blue longi male cones dusting in the wind. Appx 24” cone 

81AAE4D8-D038-4784-AFB9-9100A628A825.jpeg

nice avo! :lol:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I need to post a pic of the crazy blue longy I got from Braden last year. its absolutly blue a s blue gets.

Sunset zone 24

my super 'Blue" encephalartos sclavoi is putting out a really nice flush. gotta love this warm cali winter we are having

IMG_7180.JPG.001f5535c179f91910d5cda8f21

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

my blue longy flush finally hardened off. This absolutely glows in the garden.

IMG_7372.JPG.adcafaba2496f2c2ade7968acf0IMG_7373.JPG.8c827053c4fc440092f863c922a

• Upvote 5

Sunset zone 24

4 hours ago, Josh-O said:

my blue longy flush finally hardened off. This absolutely glows in the garden.

IMG_7372.JPG.adcafaba2496f2c2ade7968acf0IMG_7373.JPG.8c827053c4fc440092f863c922a

Dang josh. That longy is about as blue as they get. Great to see that you are adding so many cycads to your garden. Braden always has a great selection of high quality cycads to choose from. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

@Josh-O Someone jumped into cycads with both feet and has been spending some serious coin...

I sure did take the plunge :)

Sunset zone 24

18 hours ago, 5150cycad said:

Dang josh. That longy is about as blue as they get. Great to see that you are adding so many cycads to your garden. Braden always has a great selection of high quality cycads to choose from. 

When I picked up this particular plant it was blue and I just had a feeling that It was just gonna explode and become even Bleuer. It's definitely nice contrast in the garden To have a bunch of blue plants. 

Sunset zone 24

On 1/18/2018, 7:54:33, JubaeaMan138 said:

My kisambo is flushing right now first winter flush i've ever had 

Hope for hot weather for it to pop and not drag out too long.  Winter wind and rain aren't very friendly to soft flushes.  The larger Central African varieties which have longer leaves and leaflets seem to be most susceptible for obvious reasons.  Good luck and post an end result photo when its finished hardening off.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 1/18/2018, 7:54:33, JubaeaMan138 said:

My kisambo is flushing right now first winter flush i've ever had 

IMG_3063.JPG

with this winter I think you will be just fine.

no rain in sight and warm temps for the next month are instore

Sunset zone 24

On 1/25/2018, 5:49:34, Palm Tree Jim said:

Good points Josh.

The flush should be OK this winter.

crazy stuff is still flushing!

Sunset zone 24

It has been an unusually warm winter, however, here in Escondido I have seen my fair share of frosty mornings. I swear I am in a microclimate that gets 6-7 degrees hotter and colder than anywhere else in Escondido. I had some princess and horridus pups in my greenhouse that started flushing mid December. Luckily it was warm long enough for most of them to harden off without much damage. The others just aborted and the fresh leaves died off as the temperatures dropped. Hopefully we don’t have any of those late February freezes. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

9 hours ago, George Sparkman said:

IMG_2767.JPG

Encephalartos trispinosus

Now show us the broadleaf form and the spineless form of trispinosis!  Great silvery blue color on this one George!

On 2/2/2018, 6:42:06, George Sparkman said:

Encephalartos princeps

She has a beautiful pair of cones!!!  I'm picturing more baby E. princeps in the not too distant future.

How about one of the tinier Cycad cones, in this case a female cone on Zamia angustifolia.  An in tight shot of this Zamia in a 1 gallon pot, and then pulled back so you can see the entire plant.  It has the nice bronze emergent leaflets, but the leaflets are so narrow and small, you have to be up close to see the plant.

20180208-104A8538.jpg

20180208-104A8539.jpg

• Upvote 2

This flush on the kisambo is going to be great!!!! 

That should be a total of 8 with this flush I counted them. Normally this guy only flushes out 4 or 5 so with this warm weather it will be just fine!

IMG_3103.JPG

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

That should be a total of 8 with this flush I counted them. Normally this guy only flushes out 4 or 5 so with this warm weather it will be just fine!

Yes, and that number will just keep going up on the flushes as it gets bigger.  E kisambo is a great looking big green cycad, the only challenge is they take up a good size footprint.  This was right after the flush hardened off last Labor Day.

20170903-104A7455.jpg

• Upvote 4

I noticed a Ceratozamia Hildae male cone coming out today.  I hope I get a few female Kuesteriana and latifolia cones to cross with my Zaragozae male this year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, George Sparkman said:

IMG_8369.JPG

Encephalartos princeps

Boy, it looks like you will have plenty of pollen to throw on your girls!  Well, at least plenty for the two you female cones you posted earlier.  This post led me down a rabbit hole, wondering when will George experiment with a princeps cross, and what would he be so bold as to cross it with?  You have done plenty of crosses using horridus, but is there anything worthwhile using princeps pollen on?

why not cross the two? I think it will make a phenomenal hybrid. I'm having excellent success with mine. so far 60% germination success rate

IMG_7801.JPG.836236f02785b75186d33e013e0

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

10 hours ago, Josh-O said:

why not cross the two? I think it will make a phenomenal hybrid. I'm having excellent success with mine. so far 60% germination success rate

IMG_7801.JPG.836236f02785b75186d33e013e0

This should be a great hybrid!!

Nice Josh.

• Upvote 1

On 2/11/2018, 4:28:43, George Sparkman said:

longi56m.JPG

Encephalartos longifolius

With male cones that are wilting over and beginning to decay, is there any advantage (growth) in either removing or leaving cones on?  My largest longifolius for example did a 2 cone flush, followed by a single cone flush with a mini, simultaneous 3 leaf flush.  I'm ready for the coning to take a break on it and see a nice full flush again this spring.  I know patience!  Let it fall off, or snip it off?

4 hours ago, Tracy said:

With male cones that are wilting over and beginning to decay, is there any advantage (growth) in either removing or leaving cones on?  My largest longifolius for example did a 2 cone flush, followed by a single cone flush with a mini, simultaneous 3 leaf flush.  I'm ready for the coning to take a break on it and see a nice full flush again this spring.  I know patience!  Let it fall off, or snip it off?

I would like to hear what others have to say but I personally never leave male cones on long enough for them to decay and fall off by themselves. With female cones (assuming they are pollinated) I wait for the cone to start falling apart before I cut it off to harvest the seed. Here is a picture of the horridus cone that I pollinated with the Arenarius x Woodii pollen provided by you. Just playing the waiting game now. Hopefully get some good seed. 

CE162AE5-1FAC-49E6-AEB2-D86342E98665.jpeg

• Upvote 6

Great question.....I have done both.

But like Tracy, at some point I would prefer a flush rather then a cone. I have one plant that has been coning for 3 consecutive years.

I just cut off the cone......time will tell.

On 1/26/2018, 9:35:32, Josh-O said:

crazy stuff is still flushing!

what a great growing winter we are having

Sunset zone 24

On 2/11/2018, 7:42:35, Palm Tree Jim said:

This should be a great hybrid!!

Nice Josh.

Sunset zone 24

On 1/12/2018, 7:21:35, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

@Josh-O Someone jumped into cycads with both feet and has been spending some serious coin...

its been fun so far :)

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

On 2/12/2018, 5:23:33, Tracy said:

One would have to cut them while still developing in order to conserve energy for a better flush to follow. Old wilted male cones usually do not get in the way of emerging flushes unless there are too many on one head. In overall growth in the long run it does not seem to matter.

• Upvote 1

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com